All grain, batch sparging, and brew kettle capacity

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JimmyTango, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyTango

JimmyTango Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 California

I have brewed a 4 gal, all grain batch of an amber using my 8gal brew kettle with a false bottom and a batch sparge with pretty sucessfull results (70% effieciency). I want to do another, bigger beer, but I haven't upgraded any equipment. Do y'all reckon I can fit 13lbs of grain in my kettle-as-a-mash-tun and still manage a 4 gal batch sparge?

I know I could figure this out myself through simple experimentation, but I was hoping somebody could give an easy answer before I buy the supplys.

Any feedback helps!

2. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Check out "Can I Mash it?" calculator at http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/ for if it will fit. You can always split your batch sparge into two parts if you need to (you can store your hot pre-boiled wort in a bucket or carboy if you need to while you do a 2nd sparge).

3. JimmyTango

JimmyTango Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 California

Wow, thanks.

That is a very handy tool!

4. Mfeagin

Mfeagin Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Oregon

Is the kettle spigoted? If so, just fly sparge, IMO. I fit about 12# max grain in a 5-gal mash tun with a bazooka tube so I assume you can fit 13# in 8gal w/ false bottom.

5. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

How could you batch sparge without a spigot? I think you should batch sparge as it is a (IMHO) quicker process that yields similar results.

6. coronajm

coronajm Initiate (177) Jan 4, 2010 Ohio

Batch sparging is very possible without a spigot. You can start a simple siphon of sweet wort through some vinyl tubing attached to a copper manifold, or in this case, a false bottom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.