All this sediment in my vintage brew? Help.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BourbonBarrelBeerBelly, Mar 16, 2013.

1. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

BourbonBarrelBeerBelly Feb 13, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

I just grabbed a bottle of the vintage 2008 Lee's Harvest aged in sherry barrels.. And honestly, I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to the ways of beer. But I noticed a TON of sediment floating around in my beer. I'm guessing it's just yeast, but also want to make sure it isn't potentially something else. So do y'all advise that one would drink the yeast, or whatever it is? Thanks again.

BBBB.

2. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

I've seen a lot of sediment in the JW Lee's beer, esp. the aged ones. Let it sit overnight in the fridge to settle out a bit, then pour carefully the next day, leaving the sediment carefully in the bottle. It won't kill you (or even make you sick) if you get some in the glass, but it won't be that tasty either. Enjoy!

3. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Jun 20, 2009 Maine

4. jhartley

jhartley Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Although I am unfamiliar with the beer you are drinking; Founders Curmudgeon has tons of, not what I would call sediment, but there is something floating in it and at first I was a lil ascared, but after that first smell and taste...No worries!

5. Droogins

Droogins Sep 4, 2012 Massachusetts

Let the beer sit for an hour or so, decant the cleared beer into a snifter, and then dump the rest directly into your mouth. It's as good an introduction as any.

6. barleyswine

barleyswine Feb 27, 2012 Kansas

I just drank a 2006 harvest sherry cask. It was loaded with sediment. I drank the shit out of it. Sediment like it was orbitz soda

afrokaze likes this.
  7. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Jul 28, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Nothing that can hurt you can live in beer.

8. RDMII

RDMII Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Please, do not chill a JW Lee's beer. Room temp only.

9. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

Beer Trader

Just cracked it open last night. What an unpleasant, overly sweet experience. Incredibly disappointed.

10. Ish1

Ish1 Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Why not? It may get a little chill haze, but other than that, what are your concerns? Curious.

11. forgetfu

forgetfu Jul 27, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

On a 1989 Selection Lambic, I had a one inch of growth at the top of my liquid and a green fuzzy cork that would disagree with you.

12. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

Beer Trader

I'm literally about to dump out the rest of this Harvest Sherry... It was disgusting.

13. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

First time trying it? That's how it's supposed to taste. Maybe traditional English barleywines aren't your thing.

You's ignant son. Chilll it to cold crash the yeast out of solution, then let it warm a bit before drinking. Beer 101.

14. RDMII

RDMII Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I was referring to drinking it chilled. Relax guys.

15. Ish1

Ish1 Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Nice attempt at a recovery ;)

16. kdb150

kdb150 Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

It helps to be careful when carrying bottles from cellar to kitchen. I've noticed a great improvement in sediment amounts after really taking care not to disturb the contents during transport.

In most beers it won't hurt anything, although too much of it can have a negative effect on flavor in some beers. Drinking it may also have a negative effect on whoever has to share a bed with you later.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!