Allagash to launch year-round IPA (Hop Reach) in 2023

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 18, 2022.

1. LeRose

LeRose (1,107) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

We definitely are not in that majority! We are glad that they all offer a wide variety of styles now.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Cheers to that!:beers:

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ (921) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Believe it or not, it’s cheaper for me to drink/eat in both places being from Boston. Especially comparing Portland, OR to Boston.

I’ve noticed lately I’m starting to pay on average about $10 per draft at bars and breweries.

I go up about 2-3 times per year, and my last trip was in June, which is peak season up there. I’ve noticed the same. Although I’ve always felt the Maine breweries (for the most part) were more relaxed than down in Boston. Not as many lines overall.

That being said, another reason for less traffic is because East Bayside is even more dense with breweries.

In about a half mile-ish stretch you can hit up Austin Street (bigger, nicer tap room than at Industrial), Oxbow, Rising Tide, Belleflower, Hi-Fidelity, Goodfire, and Lone Pine.

Not to mention there’s also a distillery, kombuchery, Urban Farm Fermentary and whole litany of food options. I think there’s even a winery there now and ANOTHER distillery somewhere over there too?

AND you’re very close to the Old Port, where Industrial is a 15 or so minute drive away.

If someone has only one day in Portland, I’d definitely tell them to hit up East Bayside for the most bang for your buck.

skivtjerry, Redrover and meefmoff like this.
  4. LeRose

Society Trader

Thanks for noting this - that's a worthy stretch for sure and we will make sure we hit it up next trip North. Commercial Street wasn't fun this trip. Way too crowded for us!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

Society

And a 'half full' person might say: that is a good thing since visiting the Portlands is cheaper than being at home!?! :confused:

I have stated this before but I will repeat myself: Dude, you gotta learn to homebrew.

And lots of apartment dwellers homebrew.

Paying 10 bucks for draft beer is just :astonished:

Unless you are a Kennedy (or some other Martha's Vineyard family type), which then :beers: to you.

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  6. smutty33

smutty33 (786) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Crazy to see the times force Allagash to do a year rounder. At one point, never would of believed it. Nowadays, not surprised.

dewski312 likes this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ (921) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah I hear ya. But, if it was an issue I'd move away from the city. It's more than just the cost of beer, the cost of everything is sky high here.

I'm barely ever home, so I wouldn't homebrew. I love going out, just this past Sunday I visited a couple breweries and walked a total of 20 miles throughout the day. Then enjoyed a nice evening with my girlfriend chatting and drinking wine outside.

I did have some of my co-workers homebrews at home this weekend, does that count? :wink:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

All good beer 'counts'! :beers:

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. Stormfield

Stormfield (0) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

About five or six years ago, I did the Allagash tour. At the time, we were told that 80% of Allagash beer brewed by volume was Allagash White. The massive brew house, again, at that time at least, brewed nothing but White. Everything else was brewed on a smaller system.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 (175) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oh, he's loaded, $$ not an issue :sunglasses:

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

And after drinking plenty of $10 beers he is even more 'loaded'! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  12. DoubleJ

DoubleJ (0) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

I’ll give it a try because Allagash makes great beer. I think they could have been onto something special if they gave their IPA a Belgian twist. I know Hugh Malone already answers that question, however a hoppy version of their tripel would sound delicious.

dewski312 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. wehaveamap

wehaveamap (431) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think we're in a similar boat of Allagash being a must stop on a Portland trip, but I look at it a little different depending on when you're talking about. In my mind, 5-10 years ago when they had the tours and free tasting, it was really a 1 time visit kind of place. As the taproom world exploded, that model, no matter how good the 4 samples you'd get (and they were excellent no doubt), could never really live up to having choices.

I forget exactly when they switched to more traditional taproom with the bar inside having a huge menu of pours and daily vintage bottles, either 2018 or 19, but I did go 3-4 times in that year leading up to COVID and it was probably my favorite taproom experience ever outside of Greensboro, VT. I agree the outside bar version of the last two years isn't quite as magical, but I'd still take it over the sample days for sure. I also assume that as/if COVID concerns continue to lessen we may see a return to what it was like a few years ago.

I haven't had a ton of the From Maine With Loves, but I like what I've had. Rotating experimental series is all the rage around here, I find it cool Allagash jumped on board without being beholden to every one just being a different IPA. (Ironic given the topic at hand!)

AlcahueteJ, Rug and LeRose like this.
  14. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 (280) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

15. dewski312

dewski312 (95) May 2, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

16. zid

zid (829) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

17. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 (280) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

18. LeRose

Society Trader

Looking at the year round portfolio, it's still rock solid and adding an IPA will round it out. Maybe this is not such a bad thing overall, nor a "desperation" move, but filling a perceived gap. I do think Curieux, while still very good, is slightly less than it was before it became a year rounder. It's still always in my stock.

Their seasonal releases do confuse me, but you can't knock trying to capitalize on the summer tourist trade. But there seems to be redundancy, although maybe they are just searching for the beet that hits a grand slam in that particular market.

From Maine With Love...yeah, that can go. Sixteen Counties may have inspired this line of beers, but I've had several that just don't click. Good idea taken too far, possibly?

Then there's the Coolship beers and I'd guess you'd say those are for the real aficionados? I find the series to be at least always interesting yet you can just drink and enjoy or analyze til the cows come home.

They have the limited release beers that seem to me to maybe be a form of market research- brew 'em up and see what sticks. They also keep the tickers ticking? Keep brewer's from boredom? I try what I can find from the limiteds, usually. So maybe I pick up a four pack of one of the core beers a couple of the limited release to try. Not too many dogs, either, as most have been good or better.

Really thinking this is not as dire as it may seem. Time will tell.

ChicagoJ and Rug like this.
  19. skivtjerry

skivtjerry (510) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Rug, bring, ChicagoJ and 1 other person like this.
  20. skivtjerry

skivtjerry (510) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Yes! And it's pretty walkable if you bring a backpack for beer purchases. Just don't walk up that hill too briskly after visiting Holy Donut...

ChicagoJ likes this.
  21. bubseymour

bubseymour (1,279) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Been waiting for Hop Ranch to make a return. Oh wait this is Hop Reach. Not a very good name for a beer but it is Allagash so I’ll probably at least buy a single to try. I pretty much like most everything they make.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. beardown2489

beardown2489 (590) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Has anybody been listening to the podcasts Allagash has released about this beer. 2 are already out? I gotta say, I love Allagash. The pods were great. first looks into recipe formulation. 2nd at branding. Listening to the Allagash team really validated my love for this company. Every fanboy opinion I’ve formulated about Allagash over the years gets confirmed when you listen to the way they talk about beer, their process, brand, ect. They really do appear to be world class in many aspects. I am officially anticipating this beer. It sounds like it’s going to be very modern clear ipa. Im predicting something along the lines of a Half Acre Bodem, or a Firestone Walker Hopnosis. After seeing how much work is going into this brand, I’d be shocked if I’m not a repeat customer.

Davl22, ChicagoJ and Rug like this.
  23. hopley

hopley (1,089) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This is pretty funny - I was just poking in on this thread and thought you'd appreciate the "Overall" section of a recent review of mine for Allagash From Maine With Love #19 - an IPA!! Btw, I'm a long-time fan of Allagash with old school ties to the great state of Maine...!

Overall - I initially didn't buy this thinking Allagash shouldn't be in the IPA game, but I was wrong...as usual, they nailed it. Nicely done. Crisp and refreshing. I hate to say it but it reminds me in a way of a lighter bodied dry hopped version of Sierra Nevada or a Stone. Awesome.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  24. hopley

hopley (1,089) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

(I was actually replying to your initial post at the beginning of the thread referring to Stone and Sierra Nevada...)

25. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef (0) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Seltzers can't be too far away.

26. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe (356) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Society Trader

So what. Like Ommegang, they push out a variety of styles to shelves across the country. If they weren't continuing to offer something different than IPA, many of us would be stuck between an IPA and imperial stout. Lagers are even a dime a dozen compared to Belgian-styles. For anyone who complains about lack of variety, try drinking an Allagash or Ommegang flagship from their portfolios. They're available at a reasonable price at a store near you, right now.

beardown2489 likes this.
  27. Davl22

Davl22 (577) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

They actually did a version of their Tripel dry hopped with Sorachi Ace back in the day called Yakuza. I remember it being awesome.

beardown2489 likes this.
  28. Tilley4

Tilley4 (1,095) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I have enjoyed every beer I've had from them albeit it isn't that many as I can't get them in TN...Curieux is one of those beers that I would always always have in my fridge if I could get it here

29. JackHorzempa

Society

I concur with your thoughts here.
    Well...maybe Ommegang beers are less expensive in your area? Or you have a differing opinion on what "reasonable" means? Ommmegang beers are not inexpensive in my area ($14+ for four beers) and the main reason I infrequently buy them. I did recently purchase a few bottles of Hennepin but that was because they were in the mix-a-six section (12 bucks for 6 beers). If I see Ommegang flagship beers in the mix-a-six section in the future I will most certainly buy them.

Cheers!

30. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe (356) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Society Trader

Compared to the prevalent trendy 4 packs of IPAs going for 18 - 20+ dollars, it's reasonable. Many of their beers are higher ABV as well. Point taken though.

31. JackHorzempa

Society

I personally refuse to pay those prices but I get your reference point.

Cheers!

gyorgymarlowe likes this.
  32. beardown2489

beardown2489 (590) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Idk, sometimes I think we should reward companies who still make great styles that are not currently in vogue. A 4pk of a niche style sold at 14 dollars isnt out of line in my book. Especially if I have an itch for that style at the moment. I’ve been drinking Orval a lot lately, and I think I need to start rewarding some of these American brewers who refuse to let classic, shelf stable, styles die without a fight. I think I need to buy some tank 7 and Hennipin for the holidays, and the price point wont be an issue. Especially considering these beers are stable and high in quality, making them trustworthy brands / purchases. Name me a American brewery, driven by IPA sales, that also offers a year round product not hindered by its fragility. I can count on 2 hands which breweries do this successfully. I think we should reward Allagash, Ommegang, Victory, Boulevard, Left Hand, and the few others I’m forgetting

gyorgymarlowe likes this.