Allagash White 16 Ounce Cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by LakesideBrewing, Jan 16, 2019.

1. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,048) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Premium

One of my gateway craft beers and it's still a great beer.

deanzaZZR, StoutElk_92 and mkh012 like this.
  2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,082) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Visited an area that gets this in distro for the first time and made sure to pick up a bottle to try over a dozen or so NE IPA choices. Cans would have probably made the trip home with me.

Do they do their Tripel in cans? I didn't find that one on my short trip.

tzieser likes this.
  3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,556) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Love the can art!

I believe these two are the first of their beers to go into cans, so no, the triple would just be in bottles. If you get the chance try their hoppy table beer - its my favorite from them. A lovely little beer at a sub-5% abv.

Hoos78, Jacobier10 and JakerLou like this.
  4. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (72) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

That's great news. I'd love to see their other flagship beers being canned too!

5. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (94) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

They did can a few beers over the summer. Little House and, I believe, Hoppy Table Beer.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (883) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Yup, definitely Hoppy Table Beer if I recall correctly. That might have been their first to come in cans.

As they posted in the link, "Both of these cans have been in the works for a good amount of time.” said Jason Perkins, our brewmaster. “We wanted to make absolutely sure these cans were up to the high quality standards of our kegged and bottled beer. We’re happy to say that they are.”

When I visited them this past June they said they were working on putting this in a can, but if I recall, they had to get the can conditioning right.

Also from the link, "And we will be can conditioning both beers. Conditioning is a traditional Belgian method of carbonation, where a small amount of extra yeast and sugar is added to to the beer right before it is packaged. The beer then referments in the can, coming up to full carbonation while adding a bit of extra aroma and flavor."

The other new beer beer that they're referring to above also sounds pretty good!

"On top of that, we’re celebrating the arrival of a new year-round canned beer: River Trip—a Belgian-style session ale. River Trip is dry hopped for balanced notes of grapefruit, melon, and stone fruit. It’s also brewed with local pale malt and locally grown oats."

"River Trip was inspired by a canoe trip taken by brewery employees to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. It’s brewed for a profile that’s both refreshing and full of hop-forward flavor. River Trip also comes in as the lowest-calorie beer in our year-round lineup—128 calories per 12 oz. serving (170 per 16 oz. can)."

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  7. LakesideBrewing

Trader

Edit. Tiny House, not Little House! Haha

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,074) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

My initial thought was “great, more 4pk pint cans”, and then I remembered how crushable Allagash White is. I’m interested to see how much these will go for around here. It’s always a great standard go-to in most places.

Lone_Freighter and JakerLou like this.
  9. cambabeer

cambabeer Meyvn (1,060) Dec 29, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

I like the 16 oz can format much better for this kind of flagship, this ABV level beer. I wish it wasn't the standard for 9% DIPAs...

10. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (8,130) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

If this is priced like most 4x 16 oz 4-packs, I'll never buy it. Hell, if it's more $ per oz than the sixers of bottles, I'll never buy it.

Seems like a step towards the inevitable discontinuation of six packs of bottles - assuming it's indeed more $ per oz (and I can't see how it wouldn't be).

11. StoutElk_92

Right now they are in 4pk 12oz bottles in the ~$10-15 range, so I’m hoping it stays around $12-$16 for the flagship year rounds in 4pk 16oz cans.

12. kojevergas

Trader

Ah shit, I forgot the bottles are in 4 packs too! Don't I look a fool...

I still suspect we'll see a price increase per oz, though. Why else do this?

I can see the move from 4ers of bottles to cans being spun as an environmentally conscious move. I see breweries pulling that disingenuous excuse constantly.

FBarber likes this.
  13. StoutElk_92

That and the seeming demand for this format, and cans in general for easier transporting and less breakage, etc. They might actually be saving money switching to cans from bottled packages (after bottle and cardboard costs are factored in, plus breakages and declining sales from the dated package format), though each 4 pack will have an extra 16oz of beer that the bottles don’t have. I’m hoping if there’s an increase it will be slight. I can’t see too many people dropping more than $15 for a 4pk of Allagash White pints.

14. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,556) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

You can also take cans to the beach unlike bottles.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  15. kojevergas

Trader

It doesn't take $15 a 4 pack of cans to end 4 packs of bottles, right? The only price movement I can foresee is up.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,812) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I am not specifically rejecting your notion of an increase in price on a per ounce basis but there are reasons for providing this beer in a 4-pack of 16 ounce cans:

The format of a 4-pack of 16 ounce cans is real popular with some (many?) of the new craft beer consumers. In particular the folks who are big fans of Juicy/Hazy beers prefer this format.

Cans are a superior package to bottles since they are 100% impervious to both light and air (oxygen) ingress post packaging. This is not the case for bottles.

My personal preferred format is 6-packs of 12 ounce cans but needless to say Allagash is making a differing choice here. And yup, I think that economics (price per ounce) is indeed a factor here.

Cheers!

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  17. kojevergas

Trader

Boy, I wish I was optimistic enough to presume that can packaging was sheerly for QC reasons.

I also wish I was naive enough to believe that hotels didn't wash towels left on the floor for environmental reasons...

18. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (440) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Consider the fact that when Allagash moved Curieux to a 4 pack of 12 oz bottles it almost cut the $ per oz in half. Their Starling Wit , Stranger and the Crane & Florette cans are also very reasonable , sorry I can't remember the actual $ they were charging.

19. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (501) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I’m glad they’re canning, but this should be a $15 (or less) 12-pack. It’s a flagship beer from a large, established regional brewer. This should be priced like Jacks Abby.

tobelerone likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,812) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

It is not always clear how to discern business decisions. Regardless there are benefits to canning beer as I detailed above.

Cheers!

21. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (681) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

While a good beer the price of bottles let’s me never purchase this beer.
    I can’t say I love the beer, I actually think it’s a bit boring. My guess is this will be a $12 four pack that ends up in the $14-16 range near me.

Enjoy

22. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,167) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I must say that this was a once or twice a year buy for me usually by the case but I fear the new price of 16oz cans may lead to once a year 4 pack.

23. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (883) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Little House is their next beer. :wink:

I would actually prefer this beer in 12 oz. cans given it's >5%, but that's not too shabby. 9% beers in 16 oz. cans is ridiculous.

The worst offender is Lawson's. Why does Super Session at 4.7% ABV come in 12 oz. cans, and Sip of Sunshine at 8% come in 16 oz. cans?!

tzieser and beardown2489 like this.
  24. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (279) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Allagash has lived through twelve recessions, eight panics, and five years of McKinleynomics. We'll know what the price should be when they announce it.

(Seriously, Allagash's prices have always been high and they've managed to avoid bankruptcies, layoffs, and buyouts all while brewing nary an IPA. They know what they're doing.)

25. LakesideBrewing

Trader

Just talked (via Instagram) to someone at Allagash and they said that they are still working with their disro network to nail down a price. But said expect a price increase of $1-2 a four pack. So basically we’ll be getting a full 16 ounces extra for a buck or two because the new four packs are 16 oz. cans.
    (4 X 12oz. = 48oz. 4 X 16oz. = 64oz.)

I see 12 oz. bottles everywhere for $9.99. So paying $12 for a four pack of 16 oz. cans sounds good to me!

26. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (440) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just posted at Bier cellar - $10.99 a 4 pack, probably slightly cheaper at RSVP. I think thats pretty decent price for a great flagship, River Trip also the same price

LakesideBrewing and AlcahueteJ like this.
  27. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (135) Feb 13, 2018 New York

It's a great beer and I hope to see these in NY, along with Hoppy Table Beer.

FBarber likes this.
  28. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (6,129) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Oh yeah! Say hullo to Summer lobster bakes made a helluva lot easier! Much blessings to Allagash for putting this in cans! I can't wait to see here in VT!

StoutElk_92 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  29. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (73) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Warehousing and shipment benefits are usually a factor as well