Alpine Year round distro to Metro Det and MI

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ZachDow7, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZachDow7

ZachDow7 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I know there have been many threads pertaining to this, but I am curious as if anyone knows when the bottles that are supposedly going to be brewed and bottled at Alpine, not Green Flash are going to start popping up in the Metro Detroit area. I've been to many local brewpubs that are getting their 3rd or 4th shipment of Nelson, Hoppy Birthday, Alpine Ale..I was at Hopcat Detroit today and Duet was an up and coming beer for next week. Very Excited about all this, just curious if they will actually be brewed and bottled at Alpine and when we will actually see it in distro?

2. sarcastro

sarcastro Disciple (335) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Why do you think it will be brewed and bottled at alpine? my understanding is it will be brewed at green flash. If you have ever been to alpine, you would see why it would it would be hard to believe that they could make the quantities on that level. They had a hard time supplying their local market, let alone supplying other states. I thought heard October as far as regular distro.

apendecto likes this.
  3. ZachDow7

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    warnerry Savant (405) Michigan Apr 23, 2010
    gashmoney said:
    HopCat East Lansing had Nelson, Duet, Hoppy Birthday and Alpine Ale on tap yesterday. Went in expecting Nelson to be my favorite but I didn't find it all that amazing. Hoppy Birthday on the other hand was great. So piney and clean. That said, I just finished a bottle of Nelson I acquired via a trade. Seemed like a completely different beer from what I had on tap last night. Bottled, it was a truly amazing IPA. Fingers crossed that we see these on Michigan shelves.

The bottled versions are all still brewed at Alpine, while the kegs in MI were brewed by Green Flash. They clearly still have some work to do getting the recipes right, as most of their versions of Alpine brews haven't been that close to the Alpine versions.

4. ZachDow7

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    TonyLuvsBeer Initiate (20) Michigan Mar 28, 2015
    Visited Hopcat in Detroit a few weeks back and enjoyed a couple Nelson IPAs - very tasty. I then emailed Alpine and inquired if they will be bottling any time soon for MI - they informed me its in the plans for either late this CY or early next year. I did just check Hopcat's Taplist and Nelson is still on there.

TonyLuvsBeer, May 3, 2015 Report
    #29 Like + Quote Reply

Is than enough to ask questions or do you just feel like trolling tonight :slight_smile:

5. sarcastro

Beer Trader

I am confused. If you already knew the answer to the question, why did you ask it?

hopnado and steebo777 like this.
  6. core42

core42 Devotee (490) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

7. ZachDow7

Beer Trader

Just trying to confirm what has been speculated in other threads....very excited for Alpine beers none the less :slight_smile:

8. mike409

mike409 Aspirant (220) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

how does this prove it will be bottled at Alpine and not greenflash?

9. sarcastro

Beer Trader

I agree. I was excited, but I think that the stuff I had at Clubhouse were not up to par of what I have had in the past as that one poster said. I am not sure why they would brew kegs at green flash and bottles at alpine. That wouldn't make any sense. Alpine is a small brewery to say the least. I was surprised how small it was. I would be very surprised if anything we see here was brewed there. Like I said, they had a hard time supplying their local market. I am just being realistic that they probably wouldnt magically be able to supply other states. I bet the current bottles are still being brewed at Alpine, but we wouldn't see any of those. I heard that anything distributed would be brewed at green flash and Alpine would just be used for small batch and experimental.

#9 sarcastro, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  10. tommyz

tommyz Devotee (420) May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

All I know is the Alpine I have tasted so far here in Michigan is a big let down to the "hype"...Ive had Duet and Nelson and was disappointed...Hopefully next time I have it will be better

MIbeer27 and szmnnl99 like this.
  11. steebo777

steebo777 Zealot (511) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Same for the draft I've had, but bottles are a damn fine thing I have tried.

12. warnerry

warnerry Meyvn (1,202) Apr 23, 2010 Michigan

^This

My point was that, currently, all bottles are brewed at Alpine. Those batches are so small, they barely see Southern California distribution. But if you want to taste what Alpine should actually taste like, you are better off trading for bottles than trying any of the draft options available in MI. If bottles do eventually come, they will be brewed at GF. Hopefully GF can figure it out, but I'm not that optimistic.

sarcastro likes this.
  13. tommyz

tommyz Devotee (420) May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Good to know..

14. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,354) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

The Nelson that I had in SD was a big let down, now I know I don't like Nelson hops. I will try some other Alpine beers next month, maybe even go to the brewery.

15. steebo777

steebo777 Zealot (511) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I'm heading there next week, fingers crossed for some solid stuff at Alpine itself.

16. Dodgerrigo77

Dodgerrigo77 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 California

Green Flash owns Alpine, they now brew Alpine Ale, HoppyBday, Nelson, Duet, Captains Stout. Quite possible they bottle soon but here in Cali its just these kegs seeing major distro. The brew pub usually has a handful of bottles...Nelson hops can have an onion/garlic taste sometimes but Im not a hop chemist, just have had my share of IPA's featuring Nelson hops out here. The Duet was really nice in late April, hopefully they get it to you guys fresh.

17. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,354) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Nelson Sauvin hops have a white wine flavor that I find off putting. My wife had me try a Sauvignon Blanc, from NZ, and it was then same flavor I don't enjoy. I have had other beers with Nelson Sauvin in them, if it is the star of the show I don't like it, blended with other hops it is OK if the white wine flavor is low enough. I do like many white wines, for the record.

18. cpferris

cpferris Initiate (175) Jan 22, 2008 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Late to the party on this thread. As a BA who was previously located in CA, I was elated to see that Alpine was going to see some distro here. I spoke with a local distributor friend and was able to order a 1/6 barrel of Hoppy Birthday for my kegerator. I was totally elated to make that order. While I was waiting for the keg to arrive, I saw that both Nelson and Duet were on tap a local bar. I managed to try some Nelson and it wasn't close to the beer I was used to.

That somewhat tempered my expectations for the keg. I have had two pours of the HB tonight and it's not close either. Very thin and one dimensional. I felt somewhat duped. I ordered that keg on my previous experience with Alpine beers.

It's almost like these beers are being distro'd to new markets partially because people don't have a baseline to compare them to. No way these beers would pass as Alpine in SD. I am unsure if this is the future state of Alpine, or if Green Flash is still practicing the recipes and selling their expiriments as Alpine product.

While I understand Green Flash has the right to brew and distro whatever they want, I know that I will not purchase any additional Alpine product aside from at the pub. I sent an email to GF/Alpine explaining my thoughts...not looking for a refund or exchange, just sharing my opinion. For the premium price they are charging for Alpine kegs, I'll go back to Founders and Bells.

steebo777 and Bung like this.
  19. mike409

mike409 Aspirant (220) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Had Alpine ale at hopcat detroit, laughed out load after first taste because it's not even close to what I've had at Alpine.

cpferris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.