Am I the only one who thinks Buddah's Brew is rated way to low...

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jan 15, 2013.

1. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Dec 4, 2011 Texas

If you know what you are getting ready to drink I think that it is one of the best most creative beers I have had in a while. Do you guys think a bunch of people didn't know what kombucha was and then just hated it, or am I the only one that thinks this should be an easy 92?

Clonies720 likes this.
  2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I agree. Might be a love/hate thing.

3. djd07

djd07 Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Bc its from Texas.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  4. raffy313

raffy313 Dec 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think I really don't care what other people think about ANY beer I drink. People's preferences are different than mine and I'm OK with that. Besides, it's rated an 87... really not that shabby.

5. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Dec 4, 2011 Texas

Yeah but its late and I'm bored lol, just figured I would stir up some debate...

6. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler May 17, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I was excited to try this beer and I only had in on cask (I have yet to open my bottles) but I was kind of let down by it. Not only did it seriously lack carbonation (maybe because it was cask) but it just tasted like a beer version of an Arnold Palmer. Creative? Yes. Exceptional? I don't think so.

7. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I was aware of the tea used, and have had some really good examples of other beers using that same tea. One was at our tasting on Sunday. Another was one of Goose Islands first Belgian "sours," Fleur. I was just not a fan of Buddah's Brew. You can't like everything.

8. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed it immensely, but I am a fan of both companies in this collaboration. the tea itself represents a sharp love/hate ingredient/process for most people, perhaps very similar to sour beers in general. For me the combination was excellent (and my bottles are all carbed perfectly and maintained the light effervescent mouthfeel for the entire bottle) but I could understand it being strange to many.

The more for me. Three cheers for unintended consequences!

9. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Was okay. Not in the top tier of sours though.

10. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Dec 13, 2009 Texas

You're not the only one...I rated it higher than the average. I didn't know what kombucha was supposed to taste like, but I obviously didn't mind it.

11. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Aug 22, 2012 Texas

I also really enjoyed this beer. I have never had Kombucha tea by itself but I thought it was really good in this beer. I was only able to get my hands on one bottle, but the one I did have was carbonated perfectly.

12. videofrog

videofrog Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

I didn't know what Kombucha was and really enjoyed it. My Had rating of 4.5 is +14.2%, so I guess it's rated too low in relation to my opinion. Great brew with a unique flavor that I enjoyed. Had it on draft, wasn't able to pick up a bottle.

13. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

I think something that should be noted also is that Buddha's Brew Kombucha is pretty tame in comparison to other Kombucha teas that I've had. Synergy and GT brands are considerably more sour and tart in my experiences. I do enjoy Buddha's as well but I know going into it that it's going to be a less intense beverage. I'm sure that has to translate directly to the flavor profile of JK's Buddha's Brew.

14. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Sep 21, 2012 Texas

I'd guess some of the lower rating had to do with the fact that it wasn't mindblowingly sour. Not saying it's a good reason to score it down but this is BA.

BruceBruce likes this.
  15. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Just my opinion but I thought it was the most sour of any JK beer to date (I haven't tried Ol Oi nor RU-55 yet). That doesn't discredit your point either but instead suggests that none of JK's beers are sour patch kids in beer form.

On my GTS (general tartness scale) I'd put Buddhas slightly below Jacobins and Petrus Aged Pale but ahead of Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Bring on the cranberry and honeydew variations.

16. jamescain

jamescain Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It also technically only has 42 reviews. I thought it was good but I don't know what kombucha taste like so I couldn't distinguish it from the beer itself. To me it tasted very similar to their Berliner. I guess I personally would have enjoyed a little more complexity. Not to say that I didn't enjoy it.

17. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Lemon flavored tootsie roll was my first thought.

18. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I thought this was much more sour than Bonnie. I put it closer to Boxers than Bonnie.

RU-55 is pleasantly tart though. I look forward to getting a taste of that with carbonation.

19. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Jan 10, 2012 Texas

I haven't had the tea either, but lemony would describe it.. I thought it was pretty damn good. Less complex then most of the JK stuff..

20. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

I thoroughly enjoyed Buddha's Brew. It was an easy drinking sour that wasn't too acidic or harsh. It's something I'd use to introduce someone to sours. A few months ago I had a beer tasting, and used Timmerman's Oude Gueuze as the sour-style.....None liked it and I polished off practically the whole 750ml by myself (loved it though).

I still have a bottle of it that I'm saving to share with friends.

fragilehearted and BruceBruce like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe