Amazing Beers that are Easy to Find Year-Round?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Dan-B, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan-B

Dan-B Feb 26, 2012

My boss is taking a trip to Minneapolis and Northern Iowa in a couple of weeks and has offered to bring me back some beers. Unfortunately, he's not too versed in beers and doesn't have a lot of time to be looking around for hard to find stuff. What are some good beers that are commonly found in most stores and not available on the West Cost? I'm thinking along the lines of Three Floyds, Surly, etc.

2. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

won't find three floyds, but regular surly stuff is easy to come by, steel toe is great, what kind of beer do you like? that might answer the question a bit easier. Surly Smoke can still be found around town.

3. bossfan23

bossfan23 Mar 26, 2012 Iowa

Bells Two Hearted

Anything from Founders.

Surly is easy to find in the Twin Cities and Rochester. You won't find it in Iowa, they distribute to Minnesota exclusively.

Summit EPA

4. Tamarack22

Tamarack22 May 19, 2011 Minnesota

Founders & Odell. Between the two you'll have your bases covered.

If you like hoppy beers Odell Myrcenary, IPA, and 5 Barrel Pale Ale are must tries.

5. Dan-B

Dan-B Feb 26, 2012

I like pretty much anything. Stouts and sours are my favorites, but I appreciate all beer styles. More than anything I just want to try some new stuff.

6. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

buy some odells
    Myrcenary(2ipa)
    ipa

Boulevard Tank 7

Steel Toe brews (available in about 7 stores now)

7. bsp77

bsp77 Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I will agree with others that your best bets for stuff not in Cali are Surly, Founders and Odell. Boulevard Smokestack beers as well (Tank 7, Sixth Glass). Just about all of the beers from these brewers are good to incredible. Check their year rounds and summer seasonals for what you would most enjoy.

Other MN beers worth mentioning are the new Summit Saga IPA, new Schell Emerald Rye (hoppy lager), new Brau Brothers Hopsession Pale Ale (low abv, high ibu), and new Steel Toe Size 7 IPA. We have great new stuff coming out of MN. Of course, those are all hoppy beers. For some reason, MN beer drinkers (even more mainstream ones not on BA) are known for drinking a ridiculous amount of IPAs.

8. Bond111

Bond111 Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm not sure if there is still Boulevard's Rye-on-Rye on shelves in the cities, but it's a mighty fine beer if you like whisky and rye beer.

I also agree with picking up some Surly, Founders, and Odell. Look into Central Waters specialty/seasonal stuff. I've only had a 2 of their regular beers, and wasn't that impressed, but their special stuff, great.

Another brand worth mentioning is Stone. Not sure if you've ever had anything from them, but I would grab stuff from them first if you don't normally have access to them.

9. blackdog1101

blackdog1101 Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

My best suggestion would be to set your boss up for success, and call ahead to one of the better beer stores in the area based upon where he will be in the Twin Cities. Zipps, 4 Firkins, Princeton's, Heritage, South Lyndale, etc., and tell them he'll be coming. Then you can give him the address of the store so he won't have to randomly pick a store. No doubt any of these stores would be willing to take the time to help him pick out the best beers.

KarlHungus likes this.
  10. Dan-B

Dan-B Feb 26, 2012

That's a good idea. Probably better than pinning a note on his jacket like I was planning on doing.

11. loudmouth

loudmouth May 24, 2010 Wisconsin

On behalf of the stores listed above, can I request that you do both?

12. Dan-B

Dan-B Feb 26, 2012

If I can't get them to pre-box some beers for me then yes, he will arrive with list in hand.

13. blackdog1101

blackdog1101 Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

If you're looking for MN beers, three that are still a bit under the radar are Steel Toe, Brau Bros., and Olvalde Farm. All of them offer some wonderful beers and I think are real up-and-comers.

14. loudmouth

loudmouth May 24, 2010 Wisconsin

I meant pinning the list to his shirt...that's classic

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  15. Greggy

Greggy Jul 20, 2007 Minnesota

Steel Toe (all are great but suggest Size 7 IPA), Summit Saga is an excellent new IPA from summit. If he's up for some growler transport, head to Harriet Brewing for some Saison Nourice and Wodan Weizen although all of their beers are excellent.

16. BrianJ

BrianJ Jul 17, 2003 Minnesota

I just saw some at Cheers in Bloomington.

17. jivex5k

jivex5k Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Great Divide Yeti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.