American beers to pair with pork pie and mushy peas

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Patric70, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Patric70

Patric70 Initiate (16) Oct 10, 2020 England

As Autumn is now set in here in Yorkshire and the nights draw in - I’m thinking of meat pie. Comfort food. One of my favourites is a pork pie with mushy peas. I like it with a pint of something citrusy (three swords by the kirkstall brewery in leeds) a lighter ale to cut through but compliment the fat and the funk of the peas (with a dollop of mint sauce). Do you guys have pork pies? I’m pretty certain you don’t have mushy peas. What American beer would you recommend?

2. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (455) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

Here in the Northeast of the US, my family calls them Meat Pies and it's a Thanksgiving and Christmas tradition. We make it with ground pork and beef, mashed or instant potatoes as binder, clove, all spice, nut meg and a pinch of cinnamon, with salt and pepper to taste. I Can't wait to make it this year. I like it with gravy and cranberry sauce! I usually have a bottle or two of SN Celebration while making it with my Father.

3. Patric70

Patric70 Initiate (16) Oct 10, 2020 England

Sounds lovely sir - we make the pastry for pork pies by adding lard to hot water then adding the flour to the liquid - it’s known as a raised pie amd has a lovely crust - the filling is minced pork shoulder with salt amd pepper and a little bit of mace. When it’s baked we add the juice from boiled pork bones amd it sets in the pie like a jelly.

4. Providence

Providence Crusader (709) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

A steak and mushroom pie I had in London, inspired me to make the same back home. I enjoyed that immensely with a Fuller's ESB. But I'd like to have the same meal again with Timothy Taylor Landlord.

5. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,898) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

I did not think there were many pigs in England. I never had pork there but I did have Yorkshire Pudding and Sunday roast that was quite lovely. I doubt an American IPA would of improved on the meal as the locally brewed bitter was perfect.

6. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,272) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Go with lagunitas little sumpin sumpin

Amendm, mikeinportc and GreenBayBA like this.
  7. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,149) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

mmmmmm mushy peas

Amendm, hopfenunmaltz and GreenBayBA like this.
  8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,219) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

That you can get over there - Sierra Nevada Torpedo

9. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (629) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

What are mushy peas in terms of how they are incorporated?

Are these just slightly mashed peas that have been overcooked? (I'm not trying to be disrespectful; if they are mushy, they've been overcooked. It's perfectly fine to like them like this, but that doesn't mean they aren't overcooked.)

Amendm likes this.
  10. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,308) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Mmmm, tourtière and an oatmeal stout.

Amendm likes this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,774) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

In my house we make empanadas aka Mexican hand pies. Mince meat is the preferred filling. Pretty sure its nothing like what you're eating.

12. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,907) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Deschutes Jubelale

Bitterbill, dcotom and PapaGoose03 like this.
  13. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,947) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I had them several times when I was over there, what I was served was green peas (probably were Marrowfat peas as they had better texture than normal green peas. I can get fresh peas at a local grocer, but they don't have the same texture), some mushed some whole with mint mixed in. I was hooked. I am actually making all of my daughters twins baby food and that was the first thing that I made them and they love it (theirs is pureed though). I had always heard of them and thought WTF is that, but it is now one of my favorite things to make for myself (no other pea fans in the family but me and the babies). As for what beer, I would go with a german pilsner or ESB. Both of the drink pretty clean and help cut the heat in the meat pie (I am originally from North Louisiana and we have a thing there called Meat Pies. Basically seasoned beef/pork fried in a pastry type crust, ours we make are usually hot).

14. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,438) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I would suggest a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I loved me some meat pies when I was stationed over there...

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,688) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I too would enjoy a Sierra Nevada ale with this meal. Celebration Ale during the fall-winter season and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale otherwise.

Cheers!

P.S. Assuming there was some meat pie available as leftovers I would drink my homebrewed Bitter Ale (fermented with Timothy Taylor ale yeast) at the follow up meal.:yum:

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,551) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’m guessing that pork pie is something along the line of a chicken pie I make just spiced differently, the mushy peas I haven’t a clue what they are unless your just smooshing them. Why would you smoosh the peas? But something along the lines of a Goode Island Ipa, an English style IPA, a bit more malty, not terribly bitter, you can find it about anywhere, not expensive, and it’s on tap here at quite a few places.

Amendm and mikeinportc like this.
  17. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,830) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

In the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) of Michigan (I think in the mining areas of Wisconsin and Minnesota too) there is a tradition of what is called a pastie. It is typically cubed or ground pork, beef or chicken along with cubed potatoes and rutabagas (maybe a little celery and/or carrots too) baked inside pie dough that has been folded over the filling items into a half circle shape and sealed at the edges. It served as a hand-held dish that miners packed into the mines for lunch. I think many commercial pasties are very bland and need salt/pepper and some ketchup to make them more edible.

As for the beer, I drink any beer with whatever food is in front of me, but most often I have an IPA in the fridge, and that's what I enjoy most.

Edit: As an additional note, garden peas (boiled in water, drained and then some butter added) are what we have in the USA, although strangely I knew a person once who always called them English peas.

18. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,936) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I remember eating mushy peas in pubs, along with meat pies, while in England in the 1980's. It really does qualify as comfort food.

Many of you have wondered what mushy peas are. First, you start with mature, dried on the vine, peas, not garden peas (fresh, frozen, or canned) as we eat them here.

These mature, dried peas are called "marrowfat peas."

You soak them with baking soda and water and that makes them "mushy", not mashing them (although you can do that if you like them smoother).

You can find the recipe on the web, but it is pretty simple. Marrowfat peas, soaked overnight with baking soda and water, cooked, seasoned with salt and pepper. That's pretty much it.

19. papposilenus

We boiled dried peas with potatoes and called the resultant mess ‘mashies.’ As I recollect, its palatability was largely dependent on the amount of butter you put on it.

officerbill, Amendm, nc41 and 3 others like this.
  20. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,283) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Nugget Nectar

Amendm and mikeinportc like this.
  21. JBogan

JBogan Champion (860) Jul 15, 2007 California

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like something I'd pair with a bottle of Pepto Bismol, lol.

bret27, officerbill and nc41 like this.
  22. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (132) May 28, 2008 Florida

Hits and misses, Goose. The pasty was brought over to the U.P. by the "Cousin Jack's" from Cornwall, England, who were getting in on the copper boom up there. Rutabagas? Have to be in there. Celery, not so much. Ketchup vs gravy on a pasty, them's fightin' words in da U.P., ya sure you betcha. My wife's (RIP) parents were born and raised in Copper Country, and we would always get pasties for a picnic lunch. The ones available online @pasty.com will do in a pinch for a "troll from down below", but hunting for your favorite is always fun!

#22 pjbear05, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  23. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (130) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

There's a local food truck Called Potter's Pasties I've had before, and see around quite often. It's pretty good.

A solid porter would pair well I would think.

pjbear05, Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,351) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I tried pork pies but I never got into them. No jokes aboot that please. :wink:

Meat pies, on the other hand, were a staple when I lived in Australia. Occasionally, I buy them online but the shipping prices have skyrocketed so it's been a long time since I bought any.

25. MNAle

Society

Actually, they're pretty good (or maybe it was the bitter on cask I had with them that fogs my memory... :wink:). If it's the baking soda you're concerned about, there is not a lot used, and it is drained off before you cook them.

Bitterbill likes this.
  26. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (629) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

As someone that considers themselves a knowledgeable foodie, I can’t think of why the baking soda is used. What purpose is it serving from a science perspective?

27. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,237) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I enjoyed some of those as well when I visited the Twin Cities last summer (at Bauhaus).

28. papposilenus

The baking soda is used to soften the skins when presoaking legumes. Or, at least, I always use a pinch when I soak beans.

29. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,089) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yes, we have them but in the US, a pork pie is a hat.
    (Goes with most any beer, however).

30. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Zealot (573) May 5, 2015 Illinois

Thank God for English food, without there would not be a United States of America!

31. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,906) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

We have pork pies, although I usually get mine from a local bakery that specializes is Scottish goods. I used to think mushy peas were just another name for regular peas (since they tend to be a mushy texture) but was surprised it's more of a pea puree with cream.

Frankly, any American brew I would recommend with meat pies would be and American version of an English ale

PapaGoose03 and Amendm like this.
  32. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,558) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Isn't all of life that way?

officerbill, PapaGoose03 and Amendm like this.
  33. nc41

Society Trader

Its no wonder the UK is not know as a foodie paradise.

JackHorzempa and Amendm like this.
  34. Amendm

Amendm Champion (855) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Meat Pies (usually beef or mixed with pork) replaced Pork Pies around here a long time ago, probably around the time the Pork Pie Hat went out of style.
    The Blues Brothers wore them in the 70s, they were out of style around the late 50s.

Glad I read all of the posts, and try Zombie Dust from 3Floyds if you get a chance.
    Cheers.

PapaGoose03 and nc41 like this.
  35. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,089) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

So, wait :wink: - on a website dominated by posts about beers which make up about 13% of the market (actually, many threads are about beers with a much smaller market share than that), we're concerned with what is "in style"?:astonished:

So 25 years after Repeal, when adjunct light lager beer was overwhelmingly dominant in the US...
    ...the pork pie hat was "out of style"? Damn. I guess we should ignore them on this website. :grin:

In fact, I'd wager that the average American is more likely to see a pork pie hat than see a pork pie on a menu or their dinner table.:thinking_face:

(And who's gonna tell Garrett?).
    [​IMG]

#35 jesskidden, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    officerbill, PapaGoose03 and Amendm like this.
  36. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (132) May 28, 2008 Florida

Aren't mushy peas the same as peas(e) porridge, as in the old nursery rhyme?

37. MNAle

Society

No, they are different. (At least according to the ever reliable internet search ...)

pjbear05 likes this.
  38. nc41

Society Trader

I always though porridge was kinda like oatmeal.

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. papposilenus

Oatmeal is porridge. Porridge may or may not be oatmeal.

nc41 likes this.
  40. nc41

Society Trader

I saw the post above with mushy peas as porridge.