American Rye Recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by trginter, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trginter

trginter Aspirant (272) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Wanted to brew a American Rye but ended up tweaking the recipe away from that style.

2. tfidler

tfidler Aspirant (255) Sep 30, 2006 Illinois

I've wanted to brew a Roggenbier for a while but have been holding out to try an example before going in. Are there are commerical examples reasonably readily available?

3. trginter

Beer Trader

I don't know any. I wanted to make a Rye beer and posted a recipe and everyone said it could either be considered a Roggenbier or an American Rye.

4. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,274) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Please explain to me what makes that an American Rye? Less than 51% rye malt?

Please read the ingredients in the link. I would call it at German Rye due to the yeast selection. It is your beer and you can call it what you want, but I would ding it in a competition.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1d

5. trginter

Beer Trader

The "American Rye" style I was referring to is for the following recipe. I originally was calling it a Roggenbier but refined my recipe to what you see in the OP. I wanted to use a Hefe yeast to get some of that awesome banana hefe yeast flavor.

6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,593) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I was planning a roggen-like bier with amarillo this summer. I liked the hoppy hefe I brewed last year (cascade and amarillo) and thought roggenizing might make for an interesting twist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.