News American Trappist Beer in MA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by dawatts, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

2. vonnerbeer

vonnerbeer Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2010 Massachusetts

I got this from a guy in AZ in a beer FB group I'm in. Apparently he contacted them directly and Kappy's Medford concurred:

You guys should be stoked for this, I am jealous.

"Thank you for your interest in our brewery. We will only be selling the beer in Massachusetts for now and are not permitted to ship beer. However, we have been told that the following places will be receiving some beer on or around January 15th, 2014:

Kappy's Fine Wine & Spirits - Medfordhttps://www.facebook.com/KappysMedford

Wegmans Northborough

Table and Vine - West Springfield
    https://www.facebook.com/tableandvine

Park 'n Shop - Auburn http://www.parknshop.net/auburn.shtml

We'll be updating this page with more locations as we hear about them.

All the best,
    SB"

http://www.spencerbrewery.com/

3. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (519) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Received a chalice order update from the brewery - I placed my order last night at the $12/case of 6 price ... no reference to changing the price on my order, just a shipment update:

Thank you very much for your order and interest in our brewery. Today is the first day for us using our new website and store, so we're still working out the kinks.

Please be aware that the glasses are in transit to the brewery from the manufacturer. It is unlikely that we will be able to ship out your order before Christmas, but we will do our best. Either way we will keep you posted.

All the best,
    The Spencer Brewery

4. IPAkindaguy

IPAkindaguy Aspirant (291) Aug 20, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Wish I didn't miss out on that great price. Hopefully orders are fulfilled. Anyone know if they will have sales on location too? Or only permitted to ship currently

5. markdrinksbeer

Would make for a nice trip to swing by Spencer and Treehouse and pick up some great beer in under an hour.

VictorWisc likes this.
  6. markdrinksbeer

I can't remember if I saw this, or my memory is shot (most likely option), but was there mention somewhere that they will be making 4 types of beer eventually?

Also, I don't have a facebook account, but how is it possible to view their pictures on facebook without an account. when I click on the facebook.com/spencerbrewery link it just takes me to the facebook sign up page.

7. dennho

dennho Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2006 New York

We have five cases coming into our store in Sutton around the 15th also.

LakesideBrewing likes this.
  8. markdrinksbeer

Curious if anyone who ordered the Chalice's at $2.99 received theirs yet?

Also, to re-post an earlier post of mine because it wasn't answered...

I can't remember if I saw this, or my memory is shot (most likely option), but was there mention somewhere that they will be making 4 types of beer eventually?

9. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (178) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I got this in an email this morning:

Dear Mike,

Hello again. We are writing to let you know that due to unexpected manufacturer delays, the merchandise has not yet arrived at our warehouse. We are still waiting on confirmation of when we can now expect delivery and we will be letting you know as soon as we have this information. We truly apologize for the inconvenience, we were told that these items would be ready by now. Please note that we will happily issue a full refund at any time.

We will be in touch soon.

Many Thanks,
    The Spencer Brewery

DocBrewsky and RummyRedbeard like this.
  10. tvazteca

tvazteca Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Yeah. We pre ordered 5 cases to the store here in West Concord. Here Mid January too.

11. MRLMedic

MRLMedic Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I can't wait for this. I live in Spencer, only 3.8 miles from the Abbey. Bottling on the 15th.

12. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Aspirant (221) Mar 22, 2013 Kentucky

kerry4porters likes this.
  13. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

BoomKentucky likes this.
  14. epoole3

epoole3 Initiate (196) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Heard consistently from package stores that they will be shipping on Monday and coming in stock next week.

15. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Aspirant (221) Mar 22, 2013 Kentucky

Cool thanks for merging it. Didn't see it before. I didn't search the right words.

16. RummyRedbeard

RummyRedbeard Disciple (362) Mar 8, 2013 Colorado

It was supposed to be shipped out this past Monday. Got delayed a week I guess according to the salesman.

17. Stevenwings

Stevenwings Initiate (84) Jan 15, 2014 Belgium
    Beer Trader

So who allreay tasted the Spencer trappist ?? I really want to know more about it and try one (or two) its the only trappist that i still have to taste

18. JKV96

JKV96 Devotee (472) Jun 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I don't think it has been released in stores yet. I have checked few places that are getting it and they said it should be out in the next couple of days.

19. Stevenwings

Beer Trader

Ok, thanks looks like its going to be a long walk before it reaches Belgium ...

20. JKV96

JKV96 Devotee (472) Jun 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yea most likely. I will let you know how it is when I get some. The Trappist is only 15 minutes from me.

21. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Disciple (309) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

22. Davebeer50

Davebeer50 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Massachusetts

Just got 2 4 packs. $17.49 per pack- a tad steep don't ya think. One is in the fridge now, the other in the cellar for maybe a year or so. Will be tasting my firts in oh,10 minutes or so. Can't wait. Just wish they had more then te Pater style right now- maybe they will expand later.

23. Davebeer50

Just had the first one. Will do a more formal review. But damn, is this good. Pours with a beautiful billowy white head, excellent retention. Gogeous golden hue. I want to paint my kitchen in this color. Now I am not the hugest fan of Paters or golden Belgians (I like the dubblles and quads much better), but the nose is not shy- hits you with light spice and golden fruits. Tastes wonderful, smooth, with a hint of cloves and spice. This is world class beer.

MatthewPlus likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,780) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“$17.49 per pack- a tad steep don't ya think.”

Well, I will not be buying this beer; too steep IMHO.

Cheers!

kuhndog likes this.
  25. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (321) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Pretty much every store in the area that has a halfway decent craft beer section has it or will have it tomorrow

26. Davebeer50

I know- just had to try it for the newness, but this will be my last purchase of it. Many others out there just as good and half the price.

27. markdrinksbeer

That and you probably wont want to drive up to Massachusetts for it, even if it were 8 bucks a 4 pack. Not sure when they will distribute to other states.

28. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Disciple (309) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I just stopped at my local shop. $4.95 a bottle, 18.95 per 4 pack, 99.95 per case. Quite steep. I bought one bottle just to say I tried it. It's good, but nothing you can't find elsewhere for half the price.

29. BennyBeer04

BennyBeer04 Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Should have 10 cases coming to each Urban Grape Chestnut Hill & South End tomorrow.

30. Steveb69

Steveb69 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Bought 3 - 4 packs for $16.99 at Mann Orchards in Methuen Ma. off of Rt.213. It looked like they had 6 cases.

31. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (369) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of a single Trappist beer that sells for less than $100 a case in PA. Of course PA beer prices suck, so maybe I have a skewed perspective ( I think Orval runs $7 a bottle for comparison).

32. BennyBeer04

Just putting it out there that it is right in line price-wise (actually a bit less) with all of the other Trappists. Not saying that is a good or a bad thing either way, just stands to be mentioned.

33. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

Drinking one as I type, a bit metallic in the nose, reminds me somewhat of a Leffe Blond, a bit light for what I expected of a trappist. I hope they expand their offerings with a triple.

34. markdrinksbeer

realize those other trappist beers had to be imported to the US and travel thousands of miles. This one had to travel literally dozens of miles.

No import prices should mean lower than other trappist beers.

Will buy one 4 pack and then never again unless they drop significantly.

kristougher and ChrisMyhre like this.
  35. BennyBeer04

Like I said.. not saying that is right or not for it to be the price it is. And clearly I understand the distance it has to travel... and as I also said, it IS less than the other Trappists by $1-2/bottle. Even if you're in Belgium, there is a premium of sorts for beers brewed by Trappist monks (though it makes me cry at how inexpensive they are over there compared to here!), and also have to remember that for them it isn't about making a ton of profit. Proceeds go to their ministry and upkeep on the monastery. And I don't think they will end up dropping price, they honestly won't need to. Again, not saying I agree with the price point either.. but there are a lot of things to take into account.

36. MRsojourner

MRsojourner Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Massachusetts

just drank my first bottle. got the 4 pack for 16.99 at Ted's in Charlton MA. it is a very good beer with a big fruit complexity, thinking orange and pear and a bit of peppermint in the nose with a nice dry finish that is prickly from the carbonation. its hard to justify the price tag to make this a common purchase but it's very good regardless. i think its a complete shame that this place cant be a beer destination. i cant see how this can survive without distribution outside of MA at this price once the newness wears off

37. Radome

Radome Meyvn (1,166) May 24, 2009 Florida

38. WTKeene

WTKeene Defender (667) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

I got a pair of four packs heading down to me soon. I'm returning the favor with some local IPAs. I guess this means I've set up a beer trade with my Mom?

Dreizhen, kristougher and army01 like this.
  39. Stevenwings

Beer Trader

Damn thats not cheap .... what are we in Belgium then have to pay for it when it gets on our market ??? $ 10 or so a bottle ... well i think i put it on my listle of beers to taste when i visit the States...

seakayak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.