News Americans are drinking less Bud. The rest of the world loves it.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by NeroFiddled, May 10, 2018.

1. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,401) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/09/investing/anheuser-busch-inbev-budweiser-beer-earnings/index.html

2. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (328) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Inbev messed Bud up. JMO.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  3. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,017) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I don't drink them, but these light beers have a place. People may shift away from it and go to craft, but they will always be massively popular.

PorterPro125 likes this.
  4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,291) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Option A: Great Craft Beer
    Option B: Tired old Bud
    Winner = Great Craft Beer
    It is obvious that the American consumer's tastes are evolving and their choice is not to reach for the same old same old but for something else. Other countries without the choice we have are seeing increased sales because Bud is good compared to local options IMO.

TheIPAHunter and tzieser like this.
  5. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,441) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I think this shows light lager is just a passing fad.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,271) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

US Budweiser sales peaked in the late 1980s when they were selling nearly 50 million bbl/yr - before there even was an "InBev".

7. readyski

readyski Aspirant (246) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I don't think we need to feel too sorry for Bud/InBev but those guys have gotta be missing the simple beauty of their dominance in the late 80s vs now fighting battles on many fronts.

HorseheadsHophead and Lahey like this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,441) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Haha yeah def. no need to feel sorry for them as they are cashing in internationally on the heavy lifting done by the craft brewers here in USA.

readyski likes this.
  9. jesskidden

Oh, I don't know if I'd call Anheuser-Busch's position in the US beer market in the late 1980s "dominance" compared to today's, admittedly, very different market.

AB Market Share - 1988 = 40.9%
    AB Market Share - 2017 = 41.6%

1988 Top 15 US Brands = AB - 4
    2016 Top 15 US Brands = AB - 7

1988 - US Brewers w/Barrelage of 6 million or more = 6
    2017 - US Brewers w/Barrelage of 6 million or more = 2

10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,881) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Your first sentence may be more of the reason than the second.

A couple years ago when I was in Scotland - I was excited to drink cask conditioned Scottish ales, and yet there were Scottish guys next to us ordering bottles of Bud Light. Every pub had more adjunct lagers than traditional British beer styles. And some advertised "Extra Cold!" which I assume was the contrast to cellar temperature cask beer.

meefmoff and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  11. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (210) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Bud is reserved for the Bowling Alley for me, but even most of them now have an IPA on tap.

BaseballNBeer likes this.
  12. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (212) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I find it interesting that Bud Light in the UK is apparently 3.5% abv instead of 4.2%. I'm sure it has to do with high taxation, I remember reading about various international brands cutting the abv somewhat for the UK market for that reason. But I still find it interesting that they would push the lightness of a light beer even further.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,860) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I wonder if I could tell the difference between a 3.5 and a 4.2 Bud Light.

peteboiler likes this.
  14. tzieser

tzieser Savant (923) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Yeah I hear ya, buddy. I gotta say though, as much as I don't like Budweiser there is a dive bar in Tucson, Liquor Barrel Saloon (cool tidbit if you ever go: look for the bullet hole above the circa late 1800s bar. it supposedly came from Bonnie & Clyde back before the bar itself was shipped from Missouri [?] out West) that serves the best god damn pint of Bud I've ever had! They have an extremely high turnover rate, they clean the lines often and they never use any other beer on that line.

Seriously though. Budweiser will never be my #1 choice but when the owner (Jerry) said he pours the best pint of Bud you'll ever have he was not kidding. It's like a completely different beer versus the shit in cans; easily the best AAL i've had on-tap (can't say the same for when I've had it other places on-tap).

15. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,291) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I will have to check it out when down that way. I do admit that on hot summer days when its around 115 out an ice cold light beer is very good.
    I think consumers as a whole are seeking out the best when it comes to consumption or wanting to be trendy. I sort of see this as how it was with coffee. Remember when everyone just drank coffee then Starbucks came into the pic and it was like wow. Then came the small coffee shops and all the sudden it was cool to get small batch coffee and local stuff verse big coffee. I think we are seeing this happen to beer but like everything its all a cycle till the next craze hits.
    Cheers

tzieser likes this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (863) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Is that a fair comparison with the consolidation that has happened in the macro industry?

17. jesskidden

Well, I wouldn't call it a "comparison" as much as simply an example of how different AB's competitive situation is today. In '88, they had 5 national brewers as rivals - Miller, Stroh, Coors, Heileman and Pabst, fighting within the popular- and premium-priced segments of the national market. Today, it's just MillerCoors - with about 24% of the market vs. the 50% the rest of the Big Six had in the late '80s.

The consolidation of the industry (other than the joint venture that turned into a merger of Miller and Coors) really has little lasting effect on today's beer market, with MillerCoors brewing most of the Pabst/Heileman/Stroh brands - so, rather than competition it just makes them a bit more efficient by running closer to capacity AND they can let someone else spend the money on marketing. And the Pabst portfolion has continued to shrink - from over 10 million bbl to around 5 million since '99.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (362) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Too funny. The first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was my trip to Scotland in the late 90s and how baffled I was by so many people drinking Budweiser (especially since back then the stereotype was that U.S. beer was terrible). I remember the Guiness Extra Cold as well.

Journey and Kenny Rogers came up a lot on the jukeboxes too so there was definitely no shortage of American influences around.

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,789) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

I've noticed no difference since InBev came into the picture. It's still being brewed in the US by, presumably, the same people.

20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,789) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

Session beer!