Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Great Britain Americans bringing beer into the UK

Discussion in 'Europe' started by morimech, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morimech

morimech Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Is it possible? I am thinking of visiting England and Scotland in the near future (winter off season) and would bring some US beer to share. Would it be cheaper and easier to just ship it to someone in England? I am suggesting aluminum cans (Surly, Indeed, Tallgrass, etc.) and not glass bottles. I will probably bring my elderly mother who has always wanted to visit the land of her ancestors but never had the opportunity. She is not a drinker but I bet would love pub atmosphere. We will also most likely be going to the Isle of Skye and Edinburgh. Would love to take the train they had in Top Gear. Options? Costs?
  2. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Very possible. I've brought plenty of small bottles of spirits into the UK. Last year I brought four small bottles of sake and had no problems so a few cans of beer should be fine. Just be sure to declare them. Of course, cans are best but it's easy to package bottles. Get a sturdy box with reinforced corners, stuff it with polystyrene and bubble wrap everything and then put them all in bags. Make sure there are no cavities and Bob's your uncle. Then you can take some bottles back to the states – we're not so big on canning ale (ale that's worth drinking, that is).

This might be helpful:
  3. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Is this the programme you're thinking of? http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/train-race-part-1

Sadly this is not a regularly scheduled train. There are various special steam-hauled excursion trains on the regular rail network throughout the year, but not very many, and the dates may not fit in with your plans. See http://www.uksteam.info/index.htm for details of these. Another option might be to visit one of the many heritage railways dotted around the country (a list of these is available on the uksteam.info site).
  4. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

There's no need to declare anything - unless you're looking at 25+ bombers!
    I've brought back 2 checked cases from Seattle twice in the past 8 months with about 40/5 bottles and cans on each visit.
  5. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Cheers for this info. I have a coursemate who lives in Seattle and thinks it's illegal to bring beer from the US to the UK - fingers crossed she visits home this summer then.
  6. Ruds

Tell her prohibition didn't happen over here, it'll all be ok !!!
  7. CwrwAmByth

Any local recommendations? Already sweetened her up with a few Tiny Rebels and heavily reminded her it's my birthday in September ;)
  8. Ruds

From Seattle you can't go wrong with a few offerings from Fremont - Homefront IPA is pretty solid and they definately bottle that one. Elysian do some decent stuff. You'll also pick up a lot of the Portland/Oregon stuff in Washington state also. The likes of HOTD, Gigantic, Cascade (possibly?) and others should show up in the bottle shops.
  9. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Fremont, Sound Brewing, Hilliard's, Reuben's, Logsdon, Cascade, Hair of the Dog all make solid beer and are usually easy to find.

This is good news. I was hoping to bring a 12 bottle shipper with me to Europe. Looking at the website, it was looking like I would have to pay a tax getting it in.
  10. Ruds

I have friends in the PDX area, one of them grabbed me a 12 bottle styro shipper for my visit last year.

I declined to use it as I can get more than 12 bottles into a suitcase (20 or so if they are a mix of sizes ie 6 bombers and 6 or 7 12 oz or 16/20 oz).
    Just bubble wrap them well, stick them inside a cardboard box and fill any space with newspaper.

I've liberated some 120+ bottles from the US over the last 15 months with zero breakages (touch wood for the future!)

Also I'm not sure airlines would treat a shipper as standard checked luggage and may impose some kind of cargo charge as opposed to additional luggage (which could well be $100+). I always fly BA economy cabin to the US, you get one 50lb checked bag included in your fare as standard, then you can pay $50 to check a 2nd 50lb bag on board. This always satisfies my needs. 50lb will get you around 20 bottles of a mix of sizes plus some clothes in the case to padd them out.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  11. CwrwAmByth

Cheers lads. Gives me a few more options than just texting her the word "Abyss" over and over. :)
  12. Ruds

I doubt she'd be able to source that for you anyway, it's an annual release and I don't think it sits around on the shelves for too long.
  13. Aye

Aye Jul 21, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Just cos i like the name.
  14. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

As people have said above, shouldn't be a problem. I did an IP trade with a couple from Colorado last year - they bought some beers over with them (Avery DuganA and some Oskar Blues). Oh yeah....

Also, even a regular train in Scotland could be a good experience if the scenery is decent.
  15. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

The Edinburgh pub scene is starting to cook right now. Once you start you may have a hard time stopping. Hope your mum is patient and doesn't mind the walk.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!