Anchor Brewing Company Debuts Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,652) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

An American Craft-Brew Classic—Reimagined

San Francisco, CA (August 15, 2016) – Anchor Brewing Company announces the debut of Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer™, a limited release inspired by Anchor Steam® Beer, the original California Common. San Francisco’s famous Anchor Steam® Beer is unique for its brewing process which has evolved over many decades and is like no other in the world. To give this classic beer a radically traditional twist, Brewmaster Scott Ungermann created Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer. Made with its own special recipe, the brew is dry-hopped with a blend of new and traditional hops. The result weds the rich maltiness of Anchor Steam with an alluring fragrant hoppiness of Anchor’s ales.

“Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer is both a historical nod to our roots and a cutting edge, modern beer,” said Brewmaster Scott Ungermann. “We took our most popular, classic beer and gave it a contemporary twist by introducing a lighter body and an elevated, dynamic hop profile using new and classic hop varieties. The result is a California Common with a unique hop bitterness balanced by a light malty sweetness.”

California Commons are a unique American style of beer created by fermenting lager yeast at warmer temperatures similar to ales. This creates a hybrid between the two beer styles, though lager yeast is always used. Anchor Steam® Beer (4.9% ABV) is the original California Common made in San Francisco since 1896.

The original Anchor Steam Beer has rich caramel malt flavors balanced by an herbal hop spiciness. Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer, on the other hand, has flavors of light malty sweetness with distinct aromas of citrus and stone fruit, and a lingering, bitter hop finish. Brilliant amber in color with a tight, tan head, Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer is moderately full in body, smooth and velvety. Dry-hopping since 1975, Anchor was the first craft brewery in modern times to revive this century old brewing method in America. The same radically traditional techniques are still being used today.

Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer will be available nationally for a limited time from September to December in 12 oz. bottles and on draught in select bars, restaurants, and stores including the Anchor Brewing Taproom and Anchor Beer Garden at The Yard in San Francisco. Find a brew near you using the Anchor Beer Finder.

For more information on Anchor Dry-Hopped Steam Beer and other Anchor beers, visit www.AnchorBrewing.com or follow @anchorbrewing on social media.

About Anchor Brewing Company
    Anchor Brewing Company’s roots date back to the California Gold Rush making it one of America’s oldest breweries. Its Anchor Steam® Beer is San Francisco’s original since 1896. In 1965, Fritz Maytag acquired and revived the struggling brewery at a time when mass production of beer dominated and seemed unstoppable. Maytag started a revolution in beer that originated today’s craft beer movement. An undisputed icon, Anchor is America’s first craft brewery where beers are handmade in our traditional copper brewhouse from an all-malt mash. At Anchor, we practice the time-honored art of classical brewing, employing state-of-the-art methods to ensure that our beers are always pure and fresh. We know of no brewery in the world that matches our efforts to combine traditional, natural brewing with such carefully applied, modern methods of sanitation, finishing, packaging and transporting. To learn more visit www.anchorbrewing.com.

###

2. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,833) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Sounds interesting. I'll definitely look for this next month. Some brew details from their site.

3. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (73) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Will definitely try. Anchor Steam was my gateway beer back in the late 80s. Still great every time I have it

vurt likes this.
  4. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,331) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

I would like to try it out as well. Anchor Steam makes some pretty tasty brews.

Cheers!

lic217 likes this.
  5. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I'm on for at least a 6 pack.

6. mrdonno1970

mrdonno1970 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 Texas

Looking forward to it.

7. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (226) Jan 8, 2015 California

Yes, please.

8. lic217

lic217 Savant (922) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Good brewery, so I will try it if I see it.

This thread reminds me that It's been a long time since I have seen their Porter. That is a great beer

9. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Can't wait to try this one.

10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Excited to give this one a try, only few weeks out.

11. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

The worst beer I've ever had from Anchor was still pretty damn good, so I'll try anything they see fit to bottle.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  12. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Wasn't Brotherhood Steam Beer just a dry hopped version of their original "Steam Beer"? (Same recipe, different hops too, maybe?) Not complaining, absolutely loved Brotherhood, and welcome it again! Whatever it is, always love Anchor brews. Cheers!

VABA likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,544) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“A time-honored tradition for English breweries is to designate their beers as “Ordinary”, “Best”, “Special”, and “Extra Special Bitter” to note beers of increasing strength. Brotherhood Steam Beer (5.6% ABV) is an “Extra Special Lager” (ESL) – aka “The Gig Beer” – meant to be an easy drinking brew from the first set to encore.

"We are over the moon that our collaboration with Anchor Brewing has brought us into the world of craft beers and couldn't be more excited to bring this Golden State collaboration to a broader national audience,” said Chris Robinson. We hope those able to indulge in the Brotherhood Steam Beer share in our experience of the good times to be had with a stellar beer in hand and the cosmic vibes of the CRB in the air."

Inspired by CRB’s song-craft and the brew-craft of our flagship, Anchor Steam ® Beer, Brotherhood Steam Beer is a unique blend of pale and caramel malts and dry-hopping with Citra and Nelson Sauvin hops. The result is a copper color brew with aromatic hints of citrus and mint, a smooth, full-bodied malt flavor with a lingering, fresh hop finish.

- See more at: https://www.anchorbrewing.com/connect/news/148#sthash.QOpvrirq.dpuf

Cheers!

zid and Lingenbrau like this.
  14. Andy311x

Andy311x Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina

I asked this on twitter and Facebook and got the following responses:

"Both the malt bill and the variety of hops used in the dry-hopping process are different."

"All 3 beers have distinct, unique recipes and ingredients. Brotherhood features Citra, Nelson Sauvin hops. And our Anchor Dry-Hopped features Cascade, Experimental #484 hops."

Lingenbrau likes this.
  15. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,833) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

For those in the Chicagoland area, this has hit stores. Picked up a sixer at local Binny's for 8.99. Sixers of regular Steam are on sale for 7.99 for those interested in doing a side by side.

16. Johnct

Johnct Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

Anyone else seen this in stores yet? Particularly in New England?

17. hopley

hopley Poo-Bah (1,839) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I look forward to trying this, but I would be even more appreciative if Anchor Steam could also provide a Grateful Dead parking lot along with each six as this was typically the time when I would drink the original Anchor Steam...!!!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  18. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (54) Apr 26, 2016 California

Had this on tap last week and loved it. Wish this was the normal Stream tbh

19. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

i consumed 2 bottles. It sounded fun on paper, but i prefer the taste of the original version much more.

20. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Looking over the comparison between the two. I'll stick with the regular Steam Beer and their want to make the Steam Beer both lighter, and also hoppier seems a bit silly in my rather arrogant opinion of the matter after experiencing a six pack of it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.