Release Anchor Brewing Company Debuts Fog Breaker IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,141) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff

A Bright, Refreshing and (mostly) Haze-Free San Francisco IPA

San Francisco, CA (September 2018) – Anchor Brewing Company announces the release of Fog Breaker IPA, a San Francisco IPA bursting with fresh pine and juicy tropical hops. Inspired by the brewery’s fog-busting location in San Francisco’s Potrero Hill neighborhood, Fog Breaker IPA bottles up this sunshiny brightness with handfuls of hops.

[​IMG]

Fog Breaker IPA (6.8% ABV), with its distinctly fruity aroma and assertively bitter taste, is a hoppy, yet crisp and refreshing addition to Anchor’s portfolio. Its intense aromas of ripe pineapple, melons and resinous pine are derived from essential oils in Citra Cryo hops as well as whole-cone Denali and Cascade hops. Brewed with malted wheat and 2-row pale malt, the IPA’s bitterness is balanced with hints of light biscuity malt flavors and a smooth effervescent mouthfeel. The sunny inspiration behind Fog Breaker IPA is evident in its appearance—a bright, golden straw-colored body with a lasting creamy head. It’s a thirst-quenching, fresh brew that puts a San Francisco spin on an American IPA.

“San Francisco is notorious for its foggy climate, but one neighborhood is a pinnacle for sunshine—Potrero Hill, where Anchor calls home. Fog Breaker IPA pays homage to our fortunate spot in the city,” said Brewmaster Scott Ungermann. “If you’ve spent time in San Francisco, you’ve experienced that distinctive moment when the sun finally shines through the fog. We bottled up that experience into a San Francisco IPA that’s filled with layers of hop flavor.”

Anchor Brewing Company has a history of firsts with its long and storied tradition of innovation. Fog Breaker IPA is another first for Anchor; the first beer exclusively developed at Anchor Public Taps’ pilot brewery that has been moved into full-scale production. Located just across the street from the iconic brewery, Public Taps is a pilot brewery and bar that serves as a gathering place for locals and visitors seeking a one-of-a-kind San Francisco experience. Public Taps is home to The Potrero Project—a collection of beers brewed at the pilot brewery for guests to enjoy on tap at the bar and share feedback with the Anchor crew. Fog Breaker IPA evolved from The Potrero Project, quickly becoming one of the most popular beers served there this year. With all the positive community feedback, the brewing team decided to expand production of this IPA from Public Taps’ pilot brewing system to the main brewery across the street.

“Fog Breaker IPA was the quickest beer to sell out at Public Taps,” added Ungermann. “Even our brewers couldn’t get enough of it. It soon became obvious that we had to brew more to share this beer with all Anchor fans.”

A large anchor is emblazoned on Fog Breaker IPA’s label, breaking through a thick layer of San Francisco fog. The packaging is printed using the same iconic International Orange color as the Golden Gate Bridge.

Fog Breaker IPA is available now nationwide in 6-packs of 12 oz. bottles, 22 oz. bottles and on draught at select bars, restaurants, and stores as well as at Anchor Public Taps and the Anchor Brewing Taproom. You can find a brew near you by using the Anchor Beer Finder.

Learn more about Anchor Brewing at www.anchorbrewing.com and follow @anchorbrewing on social media.

# # #

2. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,181) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Would like to give this a try but contrary to their press release above ('Fog Breaker IPA is available now nationwide') it is not around here per their Beer Finder. Will keep an eye out for it and hope it shows soon.

beertunes likes this.
  3. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (72) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

If only I could still get Anchor products, I'd like to give this a try. And I miss Steam and Porter.

Genuine, LuskusDelph and Bitterbill like this.
  4. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (406) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Anchor makes quality stuff. I'll keep an eye out for this one. Sounds great.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,925) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I've always been an Anchor fan but they've kind of let me down with some of their newer releases (mainly fruit beers). I'll give this a try and I hope it will turn it around for me but I'm still skeptical. Why is that? My other go-to from way back is Sierra Nevada and they've never let me down. Hmmmm. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

riptorn, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  6. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (688) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Would love to try some here - but Anchor stuff (other than Steam at a few spots) is not easy to find in NE OH.....are you listening Heidelberg Dist?? Will likely have to wait until I visit SF in a few weeks, and will try some out on the spot!

deanzaZZR and Bitterbill like this.
  7. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (109) Jan 8, 2015 California

I recently had Steam for the first time in years in the new single 19 oz can. It was fresh and delicious.

Alefflicted likes this.
  8. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,360) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

This one has my attention.

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,325) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

If your local markets are anything like NJ's, if/when a new (or old, for that matter) Anchor product does hit the shelves, it'll be 6-8 months old anyway...

10. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,925) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

Sadly Kurt Mudgeon (AKA @jesskidden) is correct on this, and the same is true in Pennsylvania.

For such a large brewery, and one of the originals, they haven't been very good about making sure their product is fresh on the east coast. That, combined with their slow move to get in on the "new beer" race, and their mis-steps in doing so when they've tried have certainly hurt them. I will salute them though for not jumping into the "new beer" game and relying on their classics. If they didn't have Anchor Steam, Liberty Ale, and Old Foghorn in their portfolio I'd have forgotten about them years ago.

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Jim, you made mention of "Sierra Nevada and they've never let me down". Are you able to consistently obtain Sierra Nevada year-round beers fresh? If so, your local retailers are 'better' (or luckier?) than my local beer retailers. I see lots of old SN beers on my local beer retailer shelves.

Cheers!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  12. zid

zid Champion (880) Feb 15, 2010 New York

I was at the brewery juussst before the Sapporo sale was announced, and the workers were talking about opening up a taproom with a pilot system across the street. Nice to hear that this materialized.

I remember back when people here consistently complained that Anchor never made enough effort to "stay relevant" (I hate that expression in the context of beer) by releasing new beers to the market. Well, now there's new leadership there, and the market feels even more competitive... and people here got what they wanted - new Anchor IPA after new Anchor IPA (now that they've paused the new fruit beer after new fruit beer approach). I bet those same complainers aren't actually gonna buy new Anchor beers consistently though.

I do like the play on words with this one - calling a new non-opaque IPA a "fog breaker."

tzieser, Ranbot, LuskusDelph and 3 others like this.
  13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,233) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Dear Anchor Brewery,

Please bring back Anchor Bock, even if it means doing so in a seasonal basis. It was criminal to remove that beer from your offerings in the first place. Thanks.

Keithmurray

Ahonky, jasonmason, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  14. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (418) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

Anchor used to be plentiful here in NECT but it seems like I keep seeing less and less which is sad. I’ve been wanting to try this one out. And of course, I can’t wait for their Christmas ale!

15. tfischl

tfischl Initiate (111) Dec 28, 2005 Indiana

I'm a big fan of Anchor beers and Anchor Steam and Anchor Liberty Ale are my two all time favorites. Unfortunately, I rarely find any of their new beers where I live and Liberty Ale has totally disappeared! I will look for this but it probably won't make it out to the Indianapolis area. And, I can say the same thing for Northern NJ, could only find Anchor Steam and nothing else! Not sure what is going on with their beer distribution?

Jaycase likes this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

17. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

You don't believe that old beer on shelves is a result of consumers not buying those beers when they were fresh on the shelf? I know exceptions exist, but not with SN's distribution.

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

You would think that at least once in a while I, as a consumer, would see those fresh beers on the shelf but instead: Nada!

19. Ahonky

Chicken or the egg I suppose. Some stores are just like that though. I have two large beer stores to choose from in my area. One has a mega import section, but most of it is old - but they tend to carry some domestic brands that other stores no longer seem to care about....funnily enough Anchor being one of them (I love their porter).

Anyway, that is unfortunate for you. Fresh SN is easy to find here....though Kellerweiss and Stout would be the exception...but I suspect those beers are not brewed regularly

20. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (87) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado

Looks interesting, have not seen or heard of it in Northern CO yet, but I will be on the look out

21. Ahonky

It really was the only single strength dark bock available (to me at least). I too miss it.