Anchor Brewing Rebrand: Raise Anchor to the Next 125 Years!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerVikingSailor, Jan 25, 2021.

1. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Savant (952) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Awesome news from Anchor Brewing in San Francisco!

https://raiseanchor.anchorbrewing.com

Brand being re-launched - new labels and more cans, and some new beers!

Hopefully the distributor here in Ohio will actually start carrying their products!

[​IMG]

2. DarrellK

DarrellK Devotee (462) Nov 16, 2002 Florida

Hope makes it to Florida

Premo88 and Bitterbill like this.
  3. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,290) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I used to see their stuff occasionally here in West TN but now it's only the Christmas Ale...I would love to see the Steam and Liberty in cans for warmer weather...

4. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Also, for those of you in the Bay area - for this week only - you can order / pick up 6 pks of Anchor Steam new bottles at Anchor Public Taps (across the street from the brewery on Mariposa) for $1.25 / 6 pk!! What a deal!!

Celebrate 125 years with $1.25 Steam Beer!
    Take advantage of this limited time ‘Retro Pricing’ offer-Steam Beer 6-pack for $1.25.

Discount automatically applied at checkout

SHOP STEAM NOW

https://anchorbeertogo.com/

Premo88, Redrover, sulldaddy and 4 others like this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,852) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Rebranding. Hmm.

At least we'll know what's fresh. For a little while.

TrojanRB, RobHB, pro100 and 8 others like this.
  6. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,161) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Question: Is Liberty Ale and Liberty IPA the same beer?

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. Providence

Providence Crusader (713) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I really enjoyed that California Lager. Would love to get some more.

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,143) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

9. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,258) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Ugh. Reminds me of the ill-considered Green Flash re-branding. Matches the overall blandification of SF, though.

10. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, given what I typically see when a store gets a delivery of an Anchor beer, I expect to see the first ones hit the NJ shelves just in time for fall leaf collecting season.

Ya know, when I first read the subject line, I thought "Oh, no... classic labels defunct!" but, I kinda like the new clean-look design. But I see that the new Anchor owners are continuing the traditional of... uh, "misrepresenting" (nicer than "lying") facts about the history of Anchor's beers. Such as:
    Sure, if you don't count these, or dozens of other US post-Repeal Porters:
    [​IMG]

or this:
    Other than the ones listed at Dry-hopping in the US in the pre-craft era (and many others in the pre-Pro era, too).

I'm beginning to doubt this, too. It's based on the claim of the Boca brewery in Truckee being the first lager brewed in California, but there's some evidence of lager brewers in California in 1860s-1870s, as well as this claim "Henry Rust commenced brewing lager beer at Baker City, Ore., in 1874…" from 100 Years of Brewing, the source for Anchor's claim about Boca, IIRC.

#10 jesskidden, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    PMR, John_M, tzieser and 10 others like this.
  11. steveh

Society

I agree on the graphics, but I had some Steam recently (new owners-brewed, being the point) and was pleasantly surprised that it hadn't changed from what I remembered.

Time will tell, though.

12. steveh

Society

Just my personal aesthetic and marketing knowledge, but I think the moved too far from the old branding -- gonna be hard to recognize the label for a while. Wish they'd incorporated a little more of the original feel than just the anchor into the design.

Ugh -- really don't like the bottle labels.

@zid any idea who created the redesign? Lotta design firms in SF.*

*Hmm.
    https://www.sfgate.com/beer/article/Anchor-Brewing-new-bottles-cans-design-15888662.php

#12 steveh, Jan 25, 2021
  13. pbrian

pbrian Defender (697) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

If the really want to get with the times they can put regular package dates in the cans.

(unless they’re already doing this? Don’t really see Anchor much around here except the Christmas Beer, which I need to try before it’s gone)

And I never replied to the “your first IPA”, nor do I know the exact answer, but Liberty Ale may be my answer in the early 90’s, it was my go-to pint at my local establishment Kinsale Tavern in NYC

carolinabeerguy and JayORear like this.
  14. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, I thought that, too, at first (maybe start with a "two sided" old/new can label and rear bottle label w/ the 1960s era ovals?)

But, then I remembered what its like to look at all the "cool/modern" beers cans behind the cooler doors (like the below beers from a brewery that just hit NJ last month or so)
    [​IMG]
    and thought, "Well, at least I'll be able to find it easily..." So, my opinion is not based on aesthetics but a more selfish reason. I'm tired of saying, "WTF is that beer?" and opening and closing cooler doors, putting on my most powerful reading glasses...

#14 jesskidden, Jan 25, 2021
  15. steveh

Society

I can understand that, but to an opposite effect of all those new labels, I have the feeling my eyes will pass right over the new Anchor graphics because I won't recognize it -- blend right in with all thise other unfamiliar labels.

AlcahueteJ, champ103 and JayORear like this.
  16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,683) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Ya count me as not a fan of the new redesign. But if it helps sell.more anchor so that fresh steam stays available and maybe some other options from them then I'm all for it.

And @pbrian , they did move to normal.dating on their bottles in the last few years and the stove pipe cans of steam have normal packaging dating so I'm optimistic!

17. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,683) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Ya to me the redesign manages to look old without looking classic.

I thought the tall cans of steam looked good already
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...4SM&tbnid=xec3YTNFkhxS3M&vet=1&source=sh/x/im

18. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Soooo, a ginormous ANCHOR on the labels will make you not recognize what it is?
    I guess we have grown accustomed to weird cartoonish labels or ones that say next to nothing (as per the "cool ones" above in JessKidden's post), so ones that are clean and crisp and tell you all you need to know at a quick glance, are now "not good"?
    Wow.....

19. steveh

Society

It's all about the quick glance over the shelves, I don't spend a lot of browsing time in the liquor store -- sorry you can't understand that, but there's no need to be sarcastic.

As to your perception of "clean & crisp," I was a graphic designer for 30 years and can honestly say the new labels are just rather boring. Sorry.

klinger, beergoot, mactrail and 4 others like this.
  20. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,258) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yes, and I've worked alongside graphic designers for just as long. I'd go so far as to say "lazy" rather than boring. Or, they focus-tested every last drop of creativity out of it.

21. steveh

Society

It's a very fine line.

Bitterbill likes this.
  22. steveh

Society

Good observation.

RyanK252 and Bitterbill like this.
  23. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic - just hard to understand how anyone could miss what these labels are trying to convey - I have also worked in product marketing / packaging / design for many years - lots of opinions, and that is cool. I think the new look is great - to each their own. If it gets my crappy distributor here to actually start carrying more than Anchor Steam and Christmas Ale, I am even happier. Cheers.

24. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,391) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Curious to see if/how the new branding impacts the Our Special Ale label in 2021.

ericwo, RyanK252, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  25. steveh

Society

There's some mention of that in the link I posted above.

Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and Jaycase like this.
  26. steveh

Society

Since you've worked in marketing you know about eye-catching shelf presence. To me, Anchor missed that with the new graphics.

To that, once you pick up the can I'm sure you'll get all the info you need -- but they aren't going to get me to pick that can up at first scan.

Bitterbill likes this.
  27. steveh

Society

Of course, the positive reinforcement of the chatter in this thread is probably going to make me remember the new branding forever. :wink:

Wonder what the 12-packs will look like?

Bitterbill, Ranbot and JayORear like this.
  28. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,413) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I just want some Anchor Porter in my life

RyanK252, Alexmc2, afrokaze and 9 others like this.
  29. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Yesssss.....what he said ^^^^^

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

And, I hope they are not doing away with Old Foghorn??

No mention of it in the new website etc.....

RyanK252, sulldaddy and Bitterbill like this.
  31. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,391) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Per this article, it seems the OSA label will not be part of the new branding in 2021 at least. Also, Old Foghorn will be revealed soon.

Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and steveh like this.
  32. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (157) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

This is honestly all I see when I look at those Steam cans:

[​IMG]

33. jesskidden

Society Trader

I thought that new logo looked familiar...
    [​IMG]

plaid75, jmdrpi, chipawayboy and 3 others like this.
  34. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (188) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

The old Anchor branding was the exact opposite of the cartoonish/"cool" branding you mention. The old logo was, like Sierra Nevada, one of the classic craft designs. The new one looks ok to me, but nowhere near as "cool" or classic as the old design. The old one stood out precisely for being unchanged for decades. In the age of cartoony IPA-factory labels, I consider that a positive.

I'm generally not a fan of breweries 'rebranding'. I'm struggling to think of a well-received rebranding of a brewery of Anchor's scale that has resulted in large growth and/or expansion.

Edit: Also, that new website is awful. And I don't see any mention of Old Foghorn on it, which is ominious...

Edit 2: Missed the mention of Old Foghorn above. If there was any beer to keep the old design for other than OSA...

#34 jasonmason, Jan 25, 2021
  35. steveh

Society

Bitterbill and JayORear like this.
  36. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

I wondered that as well - I get the feeling the Porter label is not finalized as yet - on the "beer to go" ordering section of the website - it only shows Porter bottles, but mentions "4 pk of 16 oz crowlers"....strange. Porter is not mentioned as being canned either, only the bottles.

Bitterbill, JayORear and steveh like this.
  37. steveh

Society

Are the crowlers available locally only?

Pretty cool to be able to get that packaging direct from a brewery.

Bitterbill and JayORear like this.
  38. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

I was contrasting the old / new Anchor labels with the "cool" ones that you can barely tell what they are (as per Jesskidden's example above) - I prefer to know exactly what it is, without having to break out a magnifying glass or secret decoder ring....I am NOT a fan of the "cool / cartoonish" labels that have come to predominate craft beer of late.
    Anchor, like many of the older breweries that struggle to get their beers to market in our predominately "what's the latest "hazy / milkshakey / high ABV %" craze, is trying to get their beers into a more modern look, without abandoning their considerable legacy. I have toured the brewery several times, and written to Anchor directly about my displeasure over their distro sucking in my market, and there is not much to be done about it....from what their sales management folks told me in several emails, this is their attempt to get distributors and consumers to take a fresh look at them in a very competitive beer marketplace - where "new / new / new" seems to be the mantra.....

39. steveh

Society

#39 steveh, Jan 25, 2021
  40. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (188) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

What's frustrating is when this doesn't happen, the rest of us still be stuck with the boring new branding and a diminished lineup.

Regional breweries can't seem to grasp that they are not going to grab that fad-of-the-moment buyer.