Ancient Ales: Breweries Find New Fans with Old Recipes

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

While many brewers chase experimental hop strains, sequence yeast, and use technology to dial in new recipes, a handful of others are looking to the past for inspiration, hoping that ancient ales will excite a new generation of drinkers.

Read the full article: Ancient Ales: Breweries Find New Fans with Old Recipes

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I think the neatest part of these projects is how closely the brewers work with the historians, archaeologists, and anthropologists. The resultant beverage is obviously important, as well, but such interdisciplinary collaboration is really awesome, IMO.

3. iawaska

iawaska Initiate (76) Aug 7, 2017 Texas

Exactly. This is the science of the art of the science right here. Honestly, I could not care for these beers and still have a respect for the craftsmanship put into them.

Adamsville2 likes this.
  4. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (69) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I love the idea of beers like this. Another one I really enjoyed in this style that was not mentioned in the article, was Stone's Stochastiicty Project Release, Your Father Smelt of Elderberries. It has mixed reviews, but I loved it personally. I wish they would brew it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.