Anheuser-Busch Expands Production of Bud Light Platinum

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by John_M, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If this isn't literally the definition of great news, I don't know what is (obtained from the May "Real Beer" newsletter).

bomberdawg likes this.
  2. weatherdog

weatherdog Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

Thank God have the ability to increase production like that. I was sick and tired of the one bottle limits at most stores. I had to drive around all day just to be able to buy enough for a night with my bros.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Some of my BMC drinking friends have switched to Platinum, they'll be glad to know instead of one pallet at every grocery store they'll start seeing two.

Brad007 likes this.
  4. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

If AB had any sense, they'd make a Bud Light Craft. After all, adding the word "platinum" seems to have impressed their customers, imagine how much adding "craft" would do. On second thought, NOT. Bud Light drinkers would avoid it like the plague, fearing that they would be considered beer geeks if they drank anything associated with "craft'.

JimmyW and seanluvsbeer like this.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I still need to tick one of these...

dbossman, Rckmo10, Bluecane and 4 others like this.
  6. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Any idea what Bud Platinum is replacing? Is it cannibalizing Bud Light? or Bud? or What?

Duff27 likes this.
  7. Centennial

Centennial Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Vermont

Good job man, AB/INBEV just trademarked the word "craft" and now we have to pay them royalties every time we post that word.

seanluvsbeer and sailorastro like this.
  8. semibaked

semibaked Pooh-Bah (1,897) Mar 27, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Deactivated

Good, we sell a lot of it.

9. rlcoffey

Can you answer my question from 2 posts up then? Whats it taking sales from?

10. semibaked

semibaked Pooh-Bah (1,897) Mar 27, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Deactivated

I don't know the exact sales figures of the store I work at, but we still sell a ton of Bud light and some Bud, I guess I could ask.

11. rlcoffey

Im sure the numbers are large enough that you might not even notice if the Bud and Bud Light fell some. It would probably take looking at numbers over some time frame. The goal, Im sure, is to take drinkers away from MillerCoors. A shift within the brand might not matter (depending on margins) as long as they got some share from MC.

If they are merely cannibalizing their own sales, its a failed product...or maybe not, if:
    A. the margins are higher
    B. it gets the people who were leaving Bud anyway to leave for another Bud product. If you believe the "fathers beer" argument, then shifting consumers from Bud to Bud Platinum buys you a generation.

ZX6Chris likes this.
  12. karink

karink Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2009 California
    Trader

AB does do craft, they own Goose Island :slight_frown:

ZX6Chris and kmatlack like this.
  13. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Pundit (991) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I think they would shy away in fear that it might actually have some flavor.

14. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (0) May 27, 2011 Canada (BC)

I'd assume that Bud Platinum is, at least partially, cannibalizing the other Buds sales given the fact that the production is expanding to already existing factories. So unless those where idle AB is making less of the other Buds and more of the Platinum.

15. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

Great news, prob with not having enough is having to folllow every Budweiser truck hoping that they will be delivering some

16. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota

It's better than expanding their poor excuse for craft beer shock top Mohawk BS...

EdTheEdge likes this.
  17. Centennial

Centennial Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Vermont

Bought my first case of goose island today. I went with the IPA, $32 a case. I figured that their BCBS was so good that the quality would be up to par. Honestly, it tastes like a little hoppier version of budweiser and I am so disappointed. I anticipate a 99% more crap and 1% quality products from Goose Island in the future.

18. MaineMike

MaineMike Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 Maine

Goose Island's IPA is nothing special but it doesn't taste "like a little hoppier version of budweiser".

brystmar and jzeilinger like this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That assumes that all 12 domestic AB breweries were running at capacity. Their sales figures alone for the last 4 or 5 years (in which they've lost something like 7-8 million barrels, from 2008>date) shows that's not the case. Throw in the fact that AB-InBev moved both Beck's and Bass production for the US market to A-B breweries here, and it clear that A-B's breweries still have excess capacity.

Chaz likes this.
  20. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

For what it is, I don't mind Platinum. Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt I'd grab a sixer of it over something craft, but if I was in a bar/stadium/party with no craft, I wouldn't mind drinking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.