Anheuser-Busch InBev Completes Acquisition Of Craft Brew Alliance

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by officerbill, Oct 1, 2020.

1. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (570) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

The AB acquisition of Craft Brew Alliance has been completed.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisf...-completes-acquisition-of-craft-brew-alliance

JackHorzempa and rgordon like this.
  2. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,085) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

officerbill likes this.
  3. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,322) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I'll ask; does anyone even see Redhook, Widmer, or Cisco on the shelves by them? Kona I still see occasionally (and I will say their brewpub south of Honolulu is actually a cool place). But I don't see these brands having any name value anymore. If anything, they are like the aging restaurant that used to be on Zagat's Top list back in the mid 90's.

ChicagoJ, officerbill and pjeagles like this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,936) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Wasn't that not included in the deal? I seem to remember that.

5. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (157) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Widmer is very much on the shelf here in the PNW, same with Red Hook.

MaximumYuks and socon67 like this.
  6. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,322) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

If I remember correctly that is the case. Which is good since the InBev conglomerate didn't get a chance to suck the soul from the local brewpubs.

In fact I was there almost a year ago today, watching the World series and enjoying some of their pilot batch stuff.
    [​IMG]

7. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (570) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,089) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

They sold over 3/4 of a million barrels of beer last year - more than every "craft" brewer except for Yuengling, Boston Beer Co., Sierra Nevada and New Belgium. The Kona brand eventually became their biggest, and AB will retain the brewing and ownership of it in the 49 other states and, according to their own CBA 2019 AR, "...approximately 30 countries".

9. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Aspirant (233) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

Widmer here but only for their hefeweizen. I don't see any of their other stuff around and I certainly don't carry any of their other stuff.

Redhook is a similar deal, don't carry and I think I've been asked for it once in years.

Kona is still very regionally popular in parts of SoCal, they're about the only one in that list of ABInBev's lineup that is making them consistently good money here.

10. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,088) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

So for most of us on here, I doubt those breweries listed in the acquisition aren’t really significant in our beer buying rotation at all. But what may be the ripple effect of this purchase to the craft beer world?

11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,558) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I don't know that there will be much knock on effect. They had already effectively "sold out" some years ago and were already folded into to ABs distribution. AB could definitely stock a full on crafty beer bar with their 23 wholly owned crafty brands though.

officerbill, traction and jesskidden like this.
  12. jesskidden

Society Trader

Not to mention, the AB brewmasters in Colorado had somehow learned how to brew those "Hawaiian" beers...
    [​IMG]
    (East coast Kona drinkers no doubt still get their Hawaiian beer brewed just a few miles from the ocean! Well, the Atlantic, at the Redhook brewery in Portsmouth, NH --- so far).

13. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,558) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

But I've been given the impression that AB cant brew craft beer? Have I been lied to?

officerbill likes this.
  14. jesskidden

Society Trader

They can't - 'cause once they do, it becomes "crafty" beer...:astonished:

Oh, yeah. (Join the club.) But, the next question is - "By whom?":grin:

15. hbbeeremptor

hbbeeremptor Aspirant (233) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society

If I'm not mistaken, they had to cease and desist saying it was made in Hawaii on their packaging way back because the fine print stated it was brewed elsewhere depending on what part of the country you live in.

16. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,535) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Remembering the glory days of Redhook and their Trolley House pub in 1990...I still have a t shirt from when they opened in what was it NH? Never impressed with Kona. I believe Widmer's gig was they used hefe yeast in all their beers. Cisco was always sort of bleh.....

17. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, that was back when they were brewing it at CBA breweries, but - as is permitted by the TTB's regulations -only listed Hawaii on the label. But the lawsuit found it to be deceptive.

Eventually, they even contracted with City's brewery in Memphis and then arranged for AB Ft. Collins.
    [​IMG]
    Ignore "CURRENT" - that's in the above post #12.

ChicagoJ and hbbeeremptor like this.