News Anheuser-Busch InBev Reorganizes High End Division

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jesskidden, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,306) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

AB just announced they're going to "re-organize" their High End division, according to Brewbound:

2. MNAle

MNAle Savant (971) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

“Today’s announcement is an important step to better align our commercial structure with our new long-term business strategy, specifically as it relates to premiumization and innovation,”

That there is some High End Corporate Babble! I'm impressed!

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (848) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm impressed too. This also means wait and see what happens next.

LuskusDelph, jdell15 and MNAle like this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,384) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

'Premiumization' really takes the cake!

No matter where I turn these days it feels like I'm stuck in a dystopian satire. I only wish that someone would premiumize it already...

5. rgordon

rgordon Champion (812) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Premiumization. They should just say they charge more for it now than before. I love making up words, but that one is less than euphonious and sounds like something from 1984 or Brave New World.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,575) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

What do you say to them inventing a word that does not exist in the dictionary: “Premiumization”?

I would guess that the appropriate response is: Dilly dilly!:stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,179) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I was so stunned by that bullshit that I was left speechless.

Which is a rare thing.

8. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

To the "pit of misery" you go!:wink:

Cheers!

9. Rdubya87

Rdubya87 Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 California

I think Craft Brew News had a great take on this:
    "...
    So AB’s efforts to effectively and efficiently sell craft beer in the US evolve once more. Most craft brands, this move suggests, play regionally or locally, though efforts to support those brands may require coordination at national level, where Felipe and his High End team come into play. But reorg also highlights a clear difference between that regional or local work and what’s required to build a national craft brand. It’s the difference between leveraging Goose’s renovated Clybourn brewpub or selling 16oz canned 4-pks of 312 Dry Hopped in Chicago and a Goose IPA Super Bowl ad, for example. Separating the two will benefit each, AB seems to believe. Exactly how it allocates resources across them, plus competition for those regional/local resources among its acquired craft brands, will continue to impact each brand’s and AB’s success within the segment."

I'd be pretty nervous if I was working at one of the smaller regional breweries. At the end of the day, guys like DB and WW were betting that ABI's support would counterbalance backlash from the Craft community and allow for continued growth. If ABI's support begins to fade, you become an acquired brand without the benefits. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out

10. rgordon

rgordon Champion (812) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Making up words is a very fun exercise. Some become recognized words. Many are euphemisms. Some apply varied layers of entendre. And then just about every other way imaginable. Dilly dilly comes- I think- from the tune Ring Around the Rosies, dealing with The Great Plague.

11. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (823) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Premiumization is such an equally awesome and awful nugget of bogus, empty officetalk, I may have to steal it for a beer name...maybe an American Premium Pilsner?
    Hey, worse case scenario, maybe I can score some free super bowl tickets! :grin:

TheDoctor, AZBeerDude72 and FBarber like this.
  12. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Champion (884) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Premiumization is a travishamockery for sure.

13. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,449) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Premiumizationalized would make a great name for a brandy barrel-aged, triple dry-hopped IPA with lactose and oats.

14. syppr

syppr Initiate (38) May 19, 2011 Florida

Weighing in at 8.00. Syllables, that is.

15. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (823) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

You forgot the uglifruit. I award you zero Dogfishbucks.

16. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (572) May 11, 2016 Illinois

I think this type of strategery speaks bigly to the known unknowns of the splendiferous future of the high end craft division at ABI.

i.e. This shit isn't paying like we had hoped so be ready for us to start tinkering with you even more. Welcome to the ABI family.

17. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (362) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Can you please clarify "they charge more for it now?" What is it, and when are you comparing it to?

18. lordofthemark

lordofthemark Disciple (306) Jan 28, 2015 Virginia

This actually makes sense to me. The "captive craft breweries" are a different kind of business, in from "crafty" shock top and the imports/ "imports", I think .

Ranbot, drtth and TongoRad like this.
  19. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (362) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm failing to see where the idea that ABI's support is going to fade is coming from. They are dividing the high end portfolio, which formerly included all of the brands listed in the first post, into two groups. The craft portfolio will have all of the same employees as the former high end group, but with fewer (only 12 vs 20+ previously) brands to focus on. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that would mean more focus and support on the craft brands while Stella, Hoegaarden, etc will be considered core brands and will no longer have a separate, dedicated sales team.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,712) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

So if I premiumization myself does that mean I'll finally meet that rich widow who owns a liquor store?

21. TongoRad

For sure. That it's taken this long for AB-I to figure this out doesn't inspire confidence, though.

Beer_Economicus and Bitterbill like this.
  22. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,508) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

23. TongoRad

24. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,508) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No disagreement here. What I'm wondering about is the timing of when the understanding developed. I can envision two scenarios for understanding and then for taking action. One is that they just recently figured out the difference. The other is that they figured out the difference about they same time they realized they needed to trigger those layoffs but then, given corporate inertia, it's taken them several mos to set up this new arrangement.

TongoRad likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,366) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I don't know. I am re-thinking things based on some comments in this thread. But when I first read this Brewbound article via another page I had the same exact thoughts as you say in your post.

26. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,062) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Interesting that Franziskaner is listed, but no mention of Spaten.

When I was in the bigger corporate world, the whisper of a "re-org" always meant layoffs and had us hiding under our desks. I wonder if Spaten has a big desk?

27. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (517) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Premiumization sounds perfectly cromulent to me. What's the big deal? :thinking_face:

Agreed. I remember this quote from @Alexmc2 in the High End lay-off discussion:
    If that's true the High End was didn't have the direction or structure to sell their craft brands, which would have different strategies than brands like Stella and Shock Top. Corporate babble aside, this restructuring was probably needed for a while. For the AV-InBev acquired craft brewery I would think at the very minimum this restructuring probably won't make things any worse, and there's reason for some optimism the change could help.

28. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,421) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Shock Top falls into that category? Yikes.

Dilly Dilly!

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  29. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (681) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

Year: 2079 - amid the ruins of skyscrapers and sewage treatment plants, the last known hominids are left with only businesspeak as their shared vernacular.
    S
    A
    D...

JackHorzempa likes this.
  30. guinness77

guinness77 Savant (914) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Brawndo!! With electrolytes! It’s what plants crave! The thirst mutilator!

31. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

Outstanding! A quote from “Idiocracy” which also happens to be a made up word.

Cheers to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eppCOS, guinness77 and Tucquan like this.
  32. Rdubya87

Rdubya87 Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 California

So first off, when I say "support", I really mean money and focus. When all of these brands and breweries were under one organization/division, resource allocation and budgets were likely shared (note: this whole discussion is speculative - I have no knowledge of the inner workings). So some of these regional breweries might of had access to an out sized pool of resources relative to their size and to the potential ROI of a given position/project/investment. Now that they have been split out, there will be a different (and smaller) budget available to them and probably more onus to prove out the value of a given spend due to increased competition among themselves for $'s.

It could be that in practice this has no impact on a given brewery given their growth targets. However, I have to believe that each of the breweries that sold out had some lofty expectations around future growth that now may be looking more difficult to achieve if they aren't part of the larger Sales & Marketing org.

Just my thoughts and I've probably overblown the situation - but I really do think it could have some interesting effects

33. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (444) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Maybe this is punishment for Shock Top producing Pretzel Wheat

34. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (375) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thank you so much for embiggening this thread. I salute your noble spirit!

eppCOS, TongoRad and Ranbot like this.
  35. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I love that documentary from the future.

Enjoy

guinness77, eppCOS and JackHorzempa like this.
  36. guinness77

Unfortunately, life/civilization as a whole seems to be heading in that direction. The scariest part of that movie is that it’s supposed to be set in 2505. Might come true by 2025.

37. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

But since you have seen the movie you are now prepared. I would be willing to bet you could pass the IQ test.

Secretary of Education: IQ Test: If you have 1 bucket with 2 gallons and 1 bucket with 4 gallons, how many buckets you got?

Cheers!

38. Jonc

Jonc Initiate (33) Feb 12, 2007 Missouri
    Beer Trader

At least 3.

3 X 2 gallon buckets. Any more, you could hurt your back. Possible hernia.

guinness77 likes this.
  39. guinness77

Hahaha. Nice

How come you keep saying brought to you by Carl’s Jr.?

40. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (278) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts

Ha, yeah... If only we told them this years ago... But I guess because the people saying those things didn't have Ivy league degrees or Brazilian passports it didn't quite get through...

rgordon, Ranbot and TongoRad like this.