Annual 4 Elf Party - 2015 Details

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by WillHuberm, Oct 1, 2015.

?

What time are you getting in line?

1. When doors open. I'm not waiting in the fucking cold overnight for a glorified stout.

62 vote(s)
    53.0%
  2. 3:00am

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. 5:00am

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. As early as fucking possible. I need trade bait you idiot.

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Early enough to the point that I desert and alienate my wife and kids on a weekend before Christmas.

13 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Let me get back to you after I ask what time everyone else is getting there in this thread.

27 vote(s)
    23.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esktime

esktime Zealot (531) Jan 21, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Has the draft list for Friday been posted yet

2. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

Having stopped by Dark Horse after work, they made it rather clear that anybody there prior to 7am would be booted (and unable to buy anything). Personally, I think it's cool they're willing to do something like this to give all a far shot.

Edit: Tried uploading a photo of the sign that they posted, but hillbilly internet isn't always reliable lol...These guys don't fuck around (which again, is very cool in my book that they have made things so clear).

#202 bassfishingguy, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  3. barhoc11

barhoc11 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan

Are they really going to be there before 7am? I would doubt that, and even if there was people, let the losers be.

4. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Hopefully they'll just set booby-traps that automatically shut off at 7am.

That way they can get their beauty rest and prepare to host the bearded masses on a full night's sleep.

5. core42

core42 Zealot (557) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Like a bunch of dye packs that go off at 6:55am & anyone with dye on them gets nothing :grinning:

6. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

People can wash that stuff off and come back. I say they just use explosives. Freshly blown off limbs would be a dead giveaway.

Tlab3, dthrift3, brock125 and 3 others like this.
  7. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Jesus christ man, that got dark.

8. MadeInTheMitten

MadeInTheMitten Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2015 Michigan

Figured this would be a good place to say this.

So, this week I wrote down our "returns" for paw paw distributors( DH distro, and Bells)

We had thee oldies of K-zoo stout, and two oldies of Midwest PA. He said he would swap them, instead of taking it off of our next bill.

What does he bring us today? A case of August dated Crooked Tree, (last weeks ship' was Nov. dated) which was all sorts of fucked.. It was in a budlight box(Odd), every bottle was sticky/had little shards of broken glass on them/ripped labels) and one six pack of August dated Bells amber(last weeks ship' was also dated Nov.)

I know this is more of a disto' problem.. But I just needed to rant a bit.

Carry on.

9. nnutthowze09

nnutthowze09 Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2014 Illinois

Was reading the info on the event page and couldn't explicitly find if it is 21+ for everything. I went last year with some friends, but the wife and our little one are visiting family and was thinking of bringing them to check things out when I pick up beer. Didn't want to drag them there though only to have them wait in the car while I grab some BBPT5.

Anyone know for sure?

10. Robdiesel21

Robdiesel21 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan

did you check out both their facebook and online pages? i want to say its 21 and over due to all the craziness. i will look. i am confident i saw it

11. BigSpeen3436

I know someone was at the party with two infants last year. You just have to be 21 to get a wristband.

12. LambicPentameter

This is brilliant in its simplicity.

I want to see it at all future beer releases.

JasonR1975 likes this.
  13. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan

I have a question that somebody may be able to shed some light on.

I am not going to be able to make until 9:00 pm Friday. All I want is BA Plead. What do you think my chances are?

14. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Crusader (789) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

Others may disagree but since 640 people will have the opportunity to receive the full allotment of 2015 BBPt5, and not all will get 2 cases, I don't think you'll have much of a problem getting what you came for.

Fargrow likes this.
  15. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan

Kinda what I thought. Thanks for the response.

16. core42

Trader

My baby mama stopped by last year with my 12 year old daughter & they were there for about 2 hrs & no one said anything at all

You should be more than fine. People have focused on less cases this year but the cases they are down would've been the ones that were sold Sun-Tue last year so anyone getting there Fri & probably Sat should be fine

17. mtfox1977

mtfox1977 Initiate (49) Dec 6, 2013 Michigan

I drove by DH this morning on my way to work. There were about 20 people willing to wait in line for 11 hours out there all ready. I don't understand with the amount of beer available why this is happening.

Cheers to all and Happy 4-Elf!

archiebunkerjr and Fargrow like this.
  18. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (293) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Smh

archiebunkerjr and Fargrow like this.
  19. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

If you get there at 9 TONIGHT and get shutout, just let me know, so I can say fuck it to all this and even trying to come tomorrow... seriously. If they are out of BBPt5 by 9 tonight (which i highly doubt they would be) screw this.

Because people need to seriously reevaluate their life and how important of a role beer (or profiteering...) plays in it. I know this is a site all about beer, but can we all stop waiting in line for everything. Although, good chance there is nothing better to do in Marshall...

20. LambicPentameter

I just laugh knowing that those 20 people aren't going to get anything more than the 600-somethingth person who lines up behind them.

Unbelievable. Well, sadly, a little believable.

21. mtfox1977

I'm pretty sure those people aren't from Marshall.

22. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Guaranteed its a mix of Ohio and east siders. I call it the Kuhnhenn Effect.

Bung likes this.
  23. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

So i am sure this question has been answered somewhere in here, but a non-BA using friend that lives in Kzoo is wondering if he can have his wife who works near Marshall stop by and put in his order after work today and then take the wristband home to him. She has no interest in going and he was hoping he could save himself the drive today and just head over once on saturday morning. My guess is no, but figured i would ask.

24. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Zealot (572) Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Bunch of west siders out there, western MI beer group. At least I've seen some posts to that affect. I know one SE MI guy there.

25. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

1. Your Kzoo friend needs to get on BA.
    2. That's a really long commute. His wife should find a job closer to home.
    3. I'm pretty sure that if she writes his name on the order form and gives him the wristband, there would be no problem at all.

26. Fargrow

The people waiting in line already are ridiculous, but if I didn't work today and had friends that would want to go bottle share all day at Dark Horse, I would be there too. It's probably not about FOMO on the allotment.
    Those of us rushing there after work - now that's FOMO on the allotment.

27. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

Agreed, but she is a traveling vet, so work this week just so happens to be near Marshall

28. mtfox1977

The commute isn't horrible. I work in K'zoo and live in Marshall.

29. BigSpeen3436

I think you hit the nail on the head. As someone that has some PTO to burn, I'm on my way from Cleveland and will probably get there around noon with a few buddies to hang out and crack some beers.

Fargrow likes this.
  30. LambicPentameter

While I agree that cracking some bottles sounds fun... I don't think I've ever been to an 11 hour bottle share.

Now 5-6 hours still seems a little long to me, but completely doable.

31. Fargrow

That's crazy. I live in Kzoo, work in Battle Creek, and absolutely hate spending 1 precious hour of my day driving.

32. Beerdudenumberone

Beerdudenumberone Disciple (321) Dec 9, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

Planning on heading to DH after work today. Out of curiosity how is the line looking?

33. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (392) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Heading out from chi now. Should be there around 2 (stupid central time zone)

34. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

was told over 100 deep

[​IMG]

35. loganburgh

loganburgh Champion (834) Nov 23, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

This is probably a silly question but -

If I head over and place an order this evening, I don't have to be there when my order number is called tomorrow, correct? I ask because I won't be able to get back over there until 8-9pm tomorrow. Am I correct to assume that I just have to be there prior to 10:30pm to avoid forfeiture?

36. core42

Trader

Correct

37. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

Just sad to me what this 'culture' has become (and it only appears to be worsening). I still plan on stopping by after work as I'm working at the Family Fare in Marshall this week (stop in and say hi to the guy on the floor wearing a hi vis shirt).

I can do a few hours in a line but even then I ask myself why lol...

Bung and red94tt like this.
  38. iSheffro

iSheffro Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2014 Michigan

smFh

Bung and Ckoz like this.
  39. LambicPentameter

Well, I'm locked into a 6-6:30 arrival time, so I guess we'll see what happens.

With 100+ people in line already, it seems dire given that there are another 7 hours for people to gather, but these lines don't always accumulate in a linear fashion.

Case in point: at the Witch's Hat barrel-aged Night Fury release back in August, the line looked to have some 250 people by 9am (for a Noon release with enough for ~300 full allocations), but then it never really got any bigger after that point. By the time the line finished--I forget what time--there were still enough bottles on hand for people to walk in and get a full allotment without a wait.

tommyz and Zaphog like this.
  40. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (126) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

It only takes getting shut out at a different release to spur this behavior. I'm hoping there is plenty for everyone who doesn't stand in line today. Maybe that will start changing behavior the opposite way. Also, given this is the first year of this ticket method, I'm sure people just don't know what to expect. Lastly, this great weather is an anomaly and I'm sure that's bringing more people out now.

Bung, Fargrow and mtfox1977 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.