Another sign craft beer is growing! (or) Good beer in unusual places?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AleWatcher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Jan 25, 2009 Illinois

I went to a gentlemen's club recently that had Goose Island 312 on tap!
    They actually had it $1 cheaper than Bud Light!
    For $6 a pitcher, it was certainly the most enjoyable experience I've had drinking 312!

How about you guys? Have you been finding better beer in unexpected places?

2. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

My neighborhood supermarket has been carrying Boulevard Love Child #2, Collage, and Black Butte XXIV (among others) for weeks or longer. The beer section usually isn't much to write home about (standard Stone IPA, various locals and imports) but they've been getting a few of the one-off/limited beers lately. What's more, they stay on the shelves for weeks/months. I'm guessing this is because of the prices.

P.S. is a gentlemen's club the same as a strip club? If so let's call a spade a spade. ;)

4balance likes this.
  3. jivex5k

jivex5k Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Nope

Horbar likes this.
  4. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

How did the 312 pair with the roast beef?

5. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Mar 23, 2008 California

Yes and no.

Grocery stores and liquor stores have done a pretty good job expanding the craft sections.
    The crappy dive bars are mostly sticking to their BMC around here.

5thOhio likes this.
  6. kennylopez

kennylopez Jul 24, 2011 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I was surprised Applebee's by me had some Defiant brew on draft. I never expected to be able to order a local micro especially on draft at such a big chain. I was happy to see it and hope it sticks around with more to come.

7. Skull40

Skull40 Apr 1, 2010 Indiana

The Bass Pro Shop in Portage sometimes has Gumballhead on tap.

Lantern likes this.
  8. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

My local BP gas station has had a steady supply of Hoptimum this year.

Lantern likes this.
  9. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Go to NC Ohio. I mean Two-Hearted and In-Heat Wheat have popped in on tap in small towns, but still no Goose Island.

I do see local NC beers EVERYWHERE in Durham.

10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew May 8, 2006 Michigan

This is not a dig a BMC or Goose but I find myself less impressed by finding 312, Honkers,or what not on tap in new venues. It speaks more towards the increased marketing, distribution and sales force behind it than it does the growth of craft.

In Kalamazoo Oberon is on tap everywhere, we drown ourselves in it. More and more often I am seeing Two Hearted as well. A local chain of restaurants/bars, who is notorious for their micro of the month special only to put the seasonal Shock Top on, has spread the legit craft offerings from about 2-4 to 6 maybe 8 at a time. Even the smaller bars seem to be more willing to expand and diversify, the market is growing.

11. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

had surly bender and furious B4 my flight @ Ike's @ MSP airport

12. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Sep 13, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

No one will beat this story unless they had Hunahpu and KBS on tap at the Bunny Ranch.

pjeagles and HopsJunkiedotcom like this.
  13. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah, it seems like its a trend everywhere I go now. Usually the choices are not great but as long as they have at least one IPA or a Pale Ale I am good to go!

14. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Aug 26, 2009 Ohio

Almost every bar in the city of Cleveland has at least a few craft beer options. At the very least they all have something from Great Lakes—Cleveland is big on supporting local business like that. It is definitely nice to see craft beer popping up in traditionally BMC bars.

15. goodonezach

goodonezach Mar 24, 2011 New York

i saw the title of this thread and thought it was going to be about the home brewery in the white house. i couldn't have been more off.

16. Mandark

Mandark Apr 8, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Locally, the Jewel grocery store chain has been carrying actual craft options. Different selection at each store, it seems: Sucaba and others near my house, Three Floyds, Half Acre and more near where I work close to Chicago. Last week I saw they had Gumballhead.....for $14.95!!!! That's the highest I've ever seen it.

I cut out their silly promo bubble I saw in one of their circulars and attached it to my beer fridge: "Join the Craft Craze!!!"

17. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

My fast/cheap car wash place has an entire section of craft beer bottles.

18. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

"I went to a gentlemen's club recently..."

Ain't no real gentlemen within a mile of those places.

19. Lantern

Lantern Feb 27, 2011

Hoptimum and DFH 90 at a local grocer. Nuts for a grocery store here..,

20. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

So was it Club 390 or Atlantis Gentlemen's Club?

Always enjoying seeing the options get better and better at the closest liquor store to our families place in Northern MN (Liquor store is in Grand Rapids, MN and the family place is in Squaw Lake, MN). Found some Pretty Things randomly in a cooler there last year, will be interested to see whats available this year.

Cheers!

21. dgs

dgs Jul 18, 2005 Pennsylvania

Pretty much what I thought when I read the OP.

GI recently made it to PA. I don't see it as more craft on the shelves, but more ABInbev.

22. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

at my local bp you can get any new glarus full year or seasonal

23. Mandark

Mandark Apr 8, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Which is why Wisconsin rules.

24. sunkistxsudafed

sunkistxsudafed Apr 30, 2010 New Mexico

there is a phillips 66 here in town that has a "beer cave". they have the nessessities... deschutes, SN, Anderson Valley, Big Eddy, Marble, Santa Fe and other odds and ends. And there is a small hole in the wall mexican restaurant (a bit of a college kid / old couples' dive) that has decent craft bottles for cheaper than most domestics/imports. Except Pacifico and Sol, those are always $2. I was impressed that i could get SN pale or marble IPA with my fish tacos; considering this place only accepts cash :cool:

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe