Another visiting Tampa thread.

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by readicculus, Jan 21, 2013.

1. readicculus

readicculus Dec 29, 2005 Pennsylvania

I've scoured several posts along the same lines but still need some advice. I'm flying into orlando from PA on 2/9. My wife and I will be driving to the tampa area soon after we arrive. The plan as of right now is to go to Dunedin Brewery & 7venth Sun, then drive down to Peg's in Gulfport, then to Cigar City. My first question that I can't seem to find the answer to is the food situation at CCB. Do they still have food trucks on Saturday nights? If not, are there decent options nearby that we can bring to the tasting room? Also, this is my only beer-related journey for the week so i'll be stocking up on things to bring back to our hotel for the week. I'm guessing a growler from 7venth Sun & CCB plus hit up a good liquor store for bottles. Luekins (sp?) seems to be the best option? So knowing the route that I'll be driving, are there any other "can't miss" destinations or liquor stores that i should consider? Also, I'm down to bring anything for an in-person trade if anyone's game. I have a bottle or two of Bullfrog Oud 15 if anyone's interested. Or nugget nectar. Thanks for any input!

2. MADPolo

MADPolo Dec 19, 2012 Alabama

CCB does the Food truck thing on Friday nights now if I'm not mistaken. Food wise, I don't think there is anything amazing right around CCB. There are plenty of food places in that area, but nothing that sticks out. Depending on how much time you have, Datz is like 15 minutes away and they have good food and a nice tap list.

If you are doing Dunedin Brewery, definitely swing into Luekens. Head in the front door, swing right to first aisle or so and go all the way to back. You will find all kinds of dusty bottles to dig through, as well as current offerings. Just make sure you look around the entire back part of the store, lol. They have bottles stuffed everywhere in the back.

I'd say if you are at CCB, you might as well swing over to the Total wine right down the road and even the Whole Food market right in the same shopping center. They both will offer some bottle shop goods.

I'd say between Luekens, Total Wine, Whole Food Market & the cooler at CCB you should be able to find some bottles to take home with you AND quench your thirst for the week.

3. HOPSHUNTER

HOPSHUNTER May 23, 2009 Florida

On the way from 7venth Sun to Peg's I would recommend a stop at Willard's Tap House, imo it's currently the best beer bar in Tampa Bay area. Also, I would stop at Rapp Brewing, it's close to Willards and they have been producing some amazing beers...try the Gose. CCB has been doing food trucks on both Friday and Saturday nights for a while now. I would do the food truck. Growler's from Peg's (Cycle), 7venth Sun, and CCB are all excellent ideas, if you're going to Leukens, there's 2, got to the one in Dunedin and you really don't have to worry about Total Wine or Whole Foods. Cheers!

4. readicculus

Good deal. Thanks for the tips! I know CCB has the food trucks on fridays, just was unsure of saturdays. As most of the stuff there is DONG, I'd like to have to some food there as well. I'll look into Rapp and Willard's; don't know how many stops i'll be able to fit in.

5. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Yeah I've done beer hunts in Tampa for the past 2 years or so and I was very impressed with Leuken's in Dunedin on my past trip. Definitely go there.

6. johnyb

johnyb Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

I would eat at Peg's, their food is excellent................

bryanole27 and jloomis like this.
  7. readicculus

Yeah. Dinner at Peg's is the plan. And again, if anyone's interested in an in-person trade at any of these places just let me know. I wouldn't be looking for anything specific, just something that i wouldn't find at any of the stores.

8. bryanole27

bryanole27 Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

Places will deliver to CCB as well. Last time I was there we had Jimmy Johns delivered.

9. readicculus

Sounds good. I just don't want to be throwing back a lot of beers at CCB without an option for at least a little something to munch on.

10. bryanole27

bryanole27 Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

Don't blame you...it's really easy to get 'lost in the tap list.':)

mjcorbin33 likes this.
  11. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 May 16, 2012 Florida

I agree, Rapp would be right on the way from Dunedin to Peg's. Greg is definitely putting out some pretty good stuff.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe