Any beers that you refuse to taste based on name or label?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tiggerhans, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Tiggerhans

Tiggerhans Initiate (30) Aug 1, 2022 Netherlands
    Trader

When I m walking around shops these days looking for a new beer to taste, I m put off by so many beers that have terrible names like "Hell" or have sexist or occult labels. Like the "Schunnig" beers by Burg Beers. Especially in the Netherlands it seems that it is "fun" to do so, or am I the only one who does refuse to buy such beers?

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,126) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Stiegl Hell is delicious.

3. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (15,086) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Took me forever to finally drink The Brown Note

johnyb, Mighty_Thor, Junior and 13 others like this.
  4. TreyIsWilson

TreyIsWilson Poo-Bah (3,455) May 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

This would be mine. The label grosses me out. Can’t bring myself to try it.

5. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,791) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

If anything ever mentions "butter" I'm out.

6. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (629) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Some cliches will probably lead to me not ordering them. Half sexist/racist kind of stuff. Full-blown shit I don't think I've seen, and would of course be an absolute no.

Whyteboar and beergoot like this.
  7. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,228) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

A brewery called Hoof Hearted...and a beer, apparently highly rated, from Revolution named Mineshaft Gap. I mean like...really? Just sayin'..:joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

budsNpils, SFACRKnight and rgordon like this.
  8. Resistance88

Resistance88 Devotee (452) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Murder Box haters form!!!!!

BrewsOverHoes and Rug like this.
  9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I always thought Hoof Hearted to be like a young teenage boy yuk yuk joke. Like, "Who fired that shot"? "I fired it". -in a muffled quick voice.

ericwo and LesDewitt4beer like this.
  10. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (1,699) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

What's wrong with Hell? Any name with Hell should be a salute. It's probably referring to a helles lager not literally Hell. Plus, if you haven't tried Surly's Hell, you are missing out.

11. Resistance88

Trader

Sent a Helles Lager from ThereDoesNotExist to @Blogjackets ( i think) called 60 Days in Hell , which i assume is how long it say in a tank, without knowing if he would be offended .

I don't think he was. It's all beer. Isn't alcoholism satanic?

12. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,228) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Yep. I mean, I like my poops & peeps jokes and fart jokes yet they lack luster when applied to beer IMHO. I do however like the idea of a "Double Rubble Dump" of hops! :laughing: Cheers!

13. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (1,699) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

But yes, many beers I do not try based on the names. Generally when they have long-winded, slang, or trashy names that sound like they couldn't come up with anything better. I'm in Wisconsin and we have got to be the capital of bad beer names! So many of them are named after a fish...although I've learned from Bells' Two Hearted that this isn't necessarily a stereotype that holds true.

Junior, Tiggerhans and Whyteboar like this.
  14. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Meyvn (1,296) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

It was sacrlicious :slight_smile: I always thought someone should make a “What The Helles?”

15. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,890) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I've never understood the hesitation to try beers (specifically this one) with toilet humor and such. As long as the label isn't inherently racist/sexist/homophobic, I'll try it

16. Spade

Spade Disciple (312) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Isn't that from Dr. Strangelove? If I recall, the bit is about people surviving radioactive fallout by living in mineshafts, then they're worried about the Soviets having better mineshafts, and it just escalates from there.

Great movie.

17. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,654) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

18. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,469) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

This isn't funny?

Mighty_Thor and Blogjackets like this.
  19. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,469) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sacrilicious is my favorite made up blasphemy.

20. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Meyvn (1,296) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,064) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Every virtue is bracketed by vice. Alcoholism is a sin (gluttony), but teetotaling is a sin as well. A few beers could be said to be a practice of eutrapalia, or enjoying one's self in good conversation, also a virtue. Since you asked... :sunglasses:

22. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,990) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Lol. Still haven’t tried that one. Can art and name are just such a turnoff.

23. Resistance88

Trader

Is teetotaling really considered a sin?

24. BanquetEnjoyer

BanquetEnjoyer Initiate (24) Jul 14, 2022 New York

You're missing out on some good Helles lagers, then

crazyspicychef, Scrapss and budsNpils like this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,487) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Refuse to taste - no. (Well, "taste" itself is kinda involuntary, isn't it? The choice is - usually - in deciding to drink something in the first place.:grin:)

But there are many beers I don't buy because of things like name, label art, advertising campaign, company policies and history, etc.

bret717, OffTrail, AlfromPA and 5 others like this.
  26. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (227) Jan 8, 2015 California

I have the Temptation for Beatification in order for some Consecration of Supplication, Damnation!

27. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,537) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

"Helles Other People" from Tired Hands is one of the greatest beer names I ever came across. Also, who cares what a beer is called, the only thing that matters is what it tastes like.

bret717, BrewsOverHoes, SP23 and 4 others like this.
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,064) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Pretty sure there's a good amount of pride involved, but from the aspect of consumption of food and drink over indulging and under indulging are both equally wrong from a moral standpoint. Can't be the person you're meant to be if you don't eat.

29. billlang

billlang Initiate (35) Jul 20, 2020 Pennsylvania

Not offended because most of the references made on some labels I just don't get, not being young anymore. I have to google them to learn the meaning. What I don't like is looking all over the busy label art and never seeing what type of beer it is.

30. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

And I suspect that a juvenile mind is what created that brewery name, and I wonder if that person has any second thoughts nowadays (if maturity has set in).

Peach63 likes this.
  31. PapaGoose03

Society

I don't know if Bell's has ever brewed a Helles Lager, but I know Larry Bell has said he would never name a beer Hells Bells.

dcotom, Blogjackets and Peach63 like this.
  32. PapaGoose03

Society

As to the OP's question, I am not likely to buy any beer that has a fruit or vegetable in its name and ingredients. I prefer to get my vitamins from other sources.

33. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (676) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Brown Note is a great English brown, ppl are missing out.

I'm pretty turned off by anything "slushy" or "milkshake" (in the case of IPAs)

34. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (40) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

same although not because of the name or label but because its a terrible beer!

budsNpils and Bitterbill like this.
  35. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (40) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

I have no desire to taste beers named after kids treats or desserts, because that tells me I'm just going to get a sugar blasted artificial flavored imitation beverage instead of an actual beer.

Tiggerhans and Providence like this.
  36. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,079) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Everyones got to make their own purchasing choices somehow, but it's worth knowing that hell/helles is often referring to the German word for pale.

37. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,381) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I was going to make the same point. My handy-dandy internet translator translates the German word "hell" to the English word "bright."

However, I'm annoyed at the American brewers yuk yuk in their use of the German word when everything else on their beer label is in English.

Which brings me to answering the OPs question.

Yes. There are beers I will not buy based on the name or label.

Many of them fall into the category of Junior High / Frat Boy humor (which is actually the same thing).

Not because it offends me, but because it indicates to me a less that serious brewing company. Two that spring to mind are the already mentioned Who Farted, and the MN brewer Big Wood, with their beers using the (yuk, yuk) "wood" double entendre... "Morning Wood"; "Lil Red Riding Wood".

Grow up.

38. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Hell related stuff doesn't bother me. Labels with anything I interpret as racist, sexist, homo or trans phobic are non-starters for me. I don't care what it tastes like, I'm never buying them. This has nothing to do with being "woke" and everything to do with not being a fucking asshole.

39. Peach63

Peach63 Meyvn (1,206) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Geritol? :wink::grin:

Urk1127 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  40. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Surly Pentagram. To me the whole vibe of this is off-putting. Ditto for The Brown Note.

Tiggerhans and PapaGoose03 like this.