Any beers that you refuse to taste based on name or label?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tiggerhans, Aug 1, 2022.

1. LarryV

LarryV Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

I won't buy any of the Bear Hug series because the labels are just so obnoxious - nor will I buy any beer that has Rainbow or Neon in the title. If I don't like the label then I probably am not going to buy the beer. I'd like to say I'm not influenced by a label but I'd be lying. If I can't read the freakin label (3 Floyds comes to mind) then it's also off my radar.

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Brown note

I just can’t get past the image. If I drank it I would not like it only due to my mental being making me think I’m drinking shit. If you poured me one and did not tell me I’m fine.

I hate a label I can’t read, has no ABV or style on it. No date I mostly won’t buy it. Images don’t bother me so much as long as it’s not a put down or racist. Given a choice of two beers and not knowing anything but name I will choose the basic name over Belching Beaver or such. I just feel those names try too hard and the beer probably sucks, not always correct but in my head that’s my though. I have made purchases based on loving the label, Stillwater plum sour, loved the polka dot can, the beer was quite nice too.

Most beer I buy is major players with bland labels and the local beer I buy I don’t even look at the label because I have probably already had the beer on tap.

Enjoy

Rug likes this.
  3. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Jan 8, 2015 California

I enjoyed Duvel's 666 for the first time about a month ago. Yummy Belgian naughtiness.

Rug and SFACRKnight like this.
  4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Honestly, the figure in the back doesn't appear to have a significantly different skin tone than the figure in the front. It's certainly not some Sambo type caricature. I'd say you're reaching if you're looking to be offended by that aspect of that label.

Now, the reference to launching a new civil war in the beer name, I could see how that is going to be offensive to a lot of consumers

BigIronH likes this.
  5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Brown Note is a solid brown, I saved the can for the cellar walls along with the OG 3 Floyds Space Station Middle Finger before they censored it and now it's a boring space landscape.

Junior and Rug like this.
  6. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I’m not in the business of determining whether other people should be offended or not. If even one African American person thinks that label is offensive, then I’m gonna back them up and refuse to buy the beer. They know vastly more about what is offensive to people of color than I as a white man do.

Rug, BBThunderbolt and billlang like this.
  7. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

But, that metric brings up all kinds of questions. My first one is whether you've considered that lumping a large and diverse group of people, such as "African Americans", into a monolith and then exalting the perspective of the most sensitive person among them might be perceived by many people as infantilizing, dismissive, stereotyping? Secondly, how does this moral framework respond to a situation where one African American is offended by the creative work of another (thinking back to that "yellow belly" beer that omnipollo made)? Do you think it's possible that this kind of stance might effectively exclude any representation of black people on beer labels? And thirdly, do you also eschew products that offend a single member of other groups?

I guess I'm also curious about you decide whether this metric has been reached for any given beer label?

8. OffTrail

OffTrail Aug 12, 2012 Washington

I won't go into all of my beer name / label aversions. I have more than a few. I will say that it took me years to try Moose Drool. I did so only because it's about the only brown ale offered in the TW where I buy beer. Thank God I wasn't faced with Brown Note as the only choice.

9. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I unfortunately tried a bacon stout from a DC brewery (3 stars I think) upon an employee’s recommendation. It definitely wasn’t 3 stars :nauseated_face:

BigIronH likes this.
  10. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I do not for a second think any group of people think or act like a monolith. I completely understand that one member of an oppressed group may have a different perspective of another person from that same oppressed group. I'm talking about this label and this label alone, nothing more. In other scenarios, I may have a different standard, I'm not sure, I haven't thought it all through. My point was that it's not for white people to determine if people of color can be offended. Ever.

11. Braunmeister_1943

Society Trader

[​IMG] This one I would probably pass on, too, based upon label description! Scrapple In beer; pass! I grew up in scrapple country!

dbrauneis likes this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

To me it appears the man in the back is complying with covid mask mandates....

13. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Wow I looked closer and I think you're right. That's one of the weirdest beer labels I've ever seen. Catering to such a niche, and not especially popular, political position

SFACRKnight and BigIronH like this.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

In a strange way white guilt creates what it pretends to address.

15. PKeogan

PKeogan Dec 16, 2021 Pennsylvania

no, for any new beer.. I generally try to ignore the name and look for the style. If I like it, then maybe I'll try to remember the name. That being said, being a geek, I almost always research a new beer before buying...

16. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Apr 5, 2008 New York

drama queens.

the brown note can is nauseating, i allowed it to dissuade me which is my own problem.

beer cans or bottles with monsters or vaguely evil imagery are irrelevant. generally love three floyds despite not being a satan worshipper or a comic book monster geek.

BigIronH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. mickyge

mickyge Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Brown Note, never did never will.

BigIronH likes this.
  18. BigIronH

BigIronH Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Can’t be guilty about something I never did nor have no power to change. Rather spend my energy helping people where I can than pretending like I feel bad about something that I don’t. Cheers.

19. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I can’t say I’ve ever not bought and tried a beer because of the label art or name. I do find it odd that some breweries - based on label art and beer names - seem to think their target audience is frustrated fourteen year old boys.

I will say that when I see a beer/brewery I’m not familiar with, and their logo is some slightly-better-than-clip-art rendering of hops, barley, mash paddles etc., I tend to move to the next can. A lack of effort in one area….

20. adrock314

adrock314 Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

A handful of recent posts have me thinking that the “satanic panic” of the 80’s has just now hit the BA forums :grimacing:

21. teromous

teromous Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Clown Shoes is probably already drafting the artwork.

BigIronH and cavedave like this.
  22. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

First off, scrapple is delicious. It is the nougat of meat.

Secondly. It's not like this thing had pieces of scrapple in it. If I remember correctly, it was very slick/oily, and it had a scrapple herb aftertaste you could pick up, like cardumum (sp) or similar. Had a 4 pack years ago, would not refuse if handed another.

Rug likes this.
  23. Braunmeister_1943

Society Trader

I enjoy scrapple with breakfast.
    I never had the beer but just based upon the thread topic, I’d probably pass. Cheers :beer:

BigIronH likes this.
  24. BigIronH

Society Trader

If you’re looking for a delicious bacon stout, I implore you to seek out OddSide Ales’ “Hipster Brunch Stout” or any of the variants. My favorite being a rye whiskey aged version. It doesn’t sound like it should be good, but it works in all the right ways. @unlikelyspiderperson

FBarber, Rug and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  25. Braunmeister_1943

Society Trader

Thanks for tip! I love bacon, but have not had much luck with bacon as an adjunct.

BigIronH likes this.
  26. BigIronH

Society Trader

It can be very bad, or very good. Not much in between in my experience! Cheers.

27. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

This is the way

BigIronH likes this.
  28. MadMadMike

MadMadMike Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

There’s a brewery in Miami, FL called “Prison Pals”. Yes. It’s real.,.
    I don’t want to think about what they use for adjuncts in their beers.,.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Junior

Junior May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I saw one the other day named ‘All the Kool Kats on the Back of the Bus’. I couldn’t bring myself to buy it.

defunksta and Rug like this.
  30. Grounder

Grounder Jun 20, 2019 Illinois

I said this before, when I see acid trip labels I just walk by.

31. sandsonik

sandsonik Nov 14, 2015 Rhode Island

OMG. I never got the Hoof Hearted joke until today. I never knew what it meant, and just sorta accepted that.

BigIronH and rgordon like this.
  32. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

And that is why the internet is so amazing. It makes revelations obvious.

BigIronH likes this.
  33. DCH

DCH Jun 12, 2013 New York

Arrogant bastard and dirty bastard are two awesome beers. Doesn’t necessarily make me not want to buy them, I just think the whole putting “bastard” in the beers name seems a little cringey, mostly just done on purpose to get peoples attention.

Also I will never buy a juicy IPA or a light beer because I hate the way they taste.

34. Mstillertech

Mstillertech Aug 9, 2022 Florida

Anything with pumpkin…

PKeogan and DCH like this.
  35. Junior

Junior May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Don’t forget Backwoods Bastard.

DCH likes this.
  36. DCH

DCH Jun 12, 2013 New York

Another gem lol

Junior likes this.
  37. hobbitz

hobbitz Jun 17, 2010 Rhode Island

Wow I must be getting old. No one mentioned Flying Fish brewing Doggie style. Great beer, just sucks ordering it at pubs.

38. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I think you mean Flying Dog Doggie Style.

39. hobbitz

hobbitz Jun 17, 2010 Rhode Island

Yep. That's the one.

40. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Maybe the Omnipollo Yellow Belly beer.
    I'm aware that Omnipollo didn't *actually* have racist intentions with it and it's meant to be self-deprecating, but it's in very poor taste. It's a bad look for both the brewery and the consumer.