Any breweries/stores in Minneapolis area have Sahti or Happoshu style beer?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bbtkd, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbtkd

bbtkd (1,774) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The thread title says it. I have had and reviewed 101 of the 104 styles currently recognized by BeerAdvocate and still need to have Sahti, Gruit, and Happoshu. I have a lead on Gruit, so more concerned with the other two. Can't be home-brew as it needs to be reviewable on BeerAdvocate. I'll be traveling from Sioux Falls, SD through Minneapolis/St Paul and on to Hudson Wisconsin in the near future, and would like to get my hands/lips on any of these styles. Thanks!

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  2. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky (0) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

Doesn't Hanmerheart brew a sahti?

3. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson (381) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Off Color Bare Bear is another sahti that sits on shelves here. I can’t name any liquor stores for sure, but I see it a lot.

FBarber likes this.
  4. KarlHungus

KarlHungus (0) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Society

You're going to have to either trade or go to Japan for the Happoshu.

5. FBarber

FBarber (1,797) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Try looking for this one: Coedo Beniaka (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3551/58111/)

I found it here in Chicago - apparently its out there in the wild. @bbtkd if you have no luck in Minneapolis, message me and we can work out something.

6. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 (1,319) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

7. dbhammel

dbhammel (0) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

Venn made a really nice sahti over the winter. Kyle (the head brewer and owner) used to keep that one on tap in his basement back in his homebrew days I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring it back in the taproom.

HammsMeASAP and Seamus_McGuire like this.
  8. Ristaccia

Ristaccia (0) Nov 21, 2012 Nebraska

Mitsuwa probably still has it, though it'll likely be a year or more old. It's definitely a viable option for the tick, but trading for something fresh for Japan is about the only other good option.

FBarber likes this.
  9. morimech

morimech (1,282) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

They do brew one and it should be on shelves. Lakeville Brewing had one last summer that was actually the best beer I had in that town. I know that is not saying much, but it was actually enjoyable.

10. bbtkd

bbtkd (1,774) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Thanks for the leads everyone! Looks like I'll be able to get my hands on the Gruit and possibly a Sahti. I'll be hitting several stores around Woodbury, Casanova in Hudson, and Oliphant Brewing.

FBarber and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.