Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Canada Any good stops in Windsor, London and Woodstock?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by davemathews68, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davemathews68

davemathews68 Jan 25, 2013 Ohio

I am traveling to Woodstock coming from Detroit. I will be traveling 401. Are there any places I should check out along the route? Are there any recommendations of beers to pick up while I am up in CA?

2. Electros

Electros Feb 20, 2007 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

davemathews68 likes this.
  3. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

The only stores likely to have anything interesting between Windsor and Woodstock are probably the ones in London. In my experience, the LCBO locations at York/Ridout and Fanshawe Park generally have the best selections, but they're not particularly close to the highway. The one at Wellington/Bradley isn't bad either and it's much closer to the 401.

As for breweries, the only ones I can think of offhand are Railway City Brewing in St. Thomas (about 15-20 minutes south of London, so not too far off the highway) and Walkerville in Windsor, which I don't know anything about.

davemathews68 likes this.
  4. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

If you are interested in a 15-20 minute detour in Windsor.... get out of the tunnel and head to Walkerville Brewery. Its about 5 minutes away. Great IPA going right now. No bottles, only growlers. And they open at 11am, I believe.
    From there its a good 15 minutes back towards the route that will take you to the 401.

5. boney77

boney77 Nov 5, 2008 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Forked River Brewing is new in London (www.forkedriverbrewing.com). Haven't tried anything from them though, so I can't vouch for their beers.

MasterSki likes this.
  6. EnemyWithin

EnemyWithin Dec 13, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

Definitely Milos' in London. Typically has a pretty awesome tap selection.
    http://pubmilos.com/

If you haven't already made your trip, PM me if you have any interesting in setting up a potential trade.

7. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Oct 24, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Digging this back up instead of starting a new thread.

Looking into a potential trip across the boarder from north of Detroit, MI via either Windsor or Sarnia and hoping to find some recommendations to incorporate into a worthwhile weekend trip. Perhaps London is the better destination with things along the way?

8. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

If you just want to hit up the LCBOs and don't have a lot of time to shop around, then yes, London is probably the best area to focus on. You should be able to find a modest selection of good Canadian craft beer in certain Sarnia (Quinn Drive - only a couple minutes off of the 402 at the Modeland Rd. exit) or Windsor stores, but the big shops in London (York/Ridout, Wellington/Bradley and Fanshawe Park) are guaranteed to have a wider selection than anything else in the region.

As for breweries, there have been a few developments in SW Ontario in the last 1.5 years. Forked River Brewing Company opened up shop in London at some point in the past year-and-a-half (mentioned earlier in the thread), and although I haven't been to the brewery itself, they do seem to be making some pretty interesting stuff. Refined Fool in Sarnia opened earlier this year, and also produces some good beers (as well as some not-so-good ones). If you're passing through Sarnia it's worth popping in for a few minutes to see what they have available.

FaradayUncaged likes this.
  9. MasterSki

MasterSki Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

London is definitely going to be the best of the listed cities. Forked River is very good; check their Facebook to see what seasonal bottles they have for sale. Milos' is the best bar in town. The LCBO on York street has become the best location for craft beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe