Any 'juicy' IPAs brewed in Texas?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by zizouandyuki, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (779) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

I like the Three Lions too, but I thought it was more balanced/malty than juicy.

Beernerds likes this.
  2. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

Maybe you're right, I've had a few since then. I swear it reminded me of a tangerine lemonade I had years ago.

Guess I'll have to revisit it to verify, oh well.

GreatStoutman likes this.
  3. WritersBlock

WritersBlock Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Texas

As others have mentioned, Dankosaurus is by far the juiciest ipa in Texas that I've found so far. Way juicier than YR. It's very comparable to Haze imo. I have no idea why it isnt rated higher or more sought out. Get it as fresh as possible if you can.

Maich, zonker17, TTUJohn and 2 others like this.
  4. NABS

NABS Initiate (116) May 11, 2011 Ohio

Hope you guys don't mind an Ohio interloper, but I've picked up a ton of great suggestions for my upcoming visit to TX. Whether I am able to get any of them (drive to anywhere they're distributed) remains to be seen, but it's nice to have a few big names for which I can look.

#84 NABS, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Can_has_beer likes this.
  5. NDogg44

NDogg44 Disciple (392) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Society Trader

Martin House Big Hoppa will be here soon! I believe it should be towards the end of September, right @lonestarbev?

lonestarbev likes this.
  6. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,418) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

@WritersBlock

Dankosaurus seems just average to me. It might be juicier than YR, but it doesn't have the same flavor quality in its juiciness or balance. It's crazy to say its comparable to Haze! Not even on the same plane to me. But hey, to each his own. We've all got different palettes.

To anyone visiting TX def seek out Dankosaurus though, it is one of the best in the state, but that's not saying a lot when it comes to IPAs here

NoahMayes and LarryK like this.
  7. dlphnfn

dlphnfn Initiate (45) Aug 13, 2011 Iowa

I agree. My sister in law just moved to Texas about a year ago. Been down there once for about a week and my research shows that Dankosaurus is the best IPA for me. Yellow rose is good too, but my nod goes to Dank.

8. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,418) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

You guys are crazy

boogercrack likes this.
  9. Monkeypuker

Monkeypuker Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2013 Texas

I'd pick dankosaurus over yellow rose anyday as well, so juicy and full of tropical fruit notes. It's become my go to IPA ever since they started adding date labels on their cans.

Maich likes this.
  10. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Man, something must be wrong with me then... Sitting in my hotel in grapevine right now and have a few dankasaurus left, I also drank it in Georgia when I was there. I get a strong onion / garlic flavor out of it and would never call it juicy by a longshot. Honestly, one of the only IPAs I've gotten this flavor from. Doesn't do it for me at all.

Don't know if I'll drink them so I don't have to transport them back, or bring them back anyways for so,e friends. I'll see how the bag weight goes.

If I could only find more yellow rose, I'd buy it...

TomTown likes this.
  11. sethsticles

sethsticles Initiate (62) May 6, 2014 California
    Trader

What ever happened to Gone-A-Rye? I thought that was better than Dankasaurus. I've never had so much peach in a beer.

Re: YR vs Dank. I think Dank is more complex but that shouldn't surprise anyone considering YR is a SMaSH. YR is so simple yet delicious and juicy. YR has some consistency issues though. Even with the consistency issues I'll never understand the extreme hate that the DFW facebook group shows to YR. I'm happy we have some Texas beers that we can call juicy.

JJFoodie likes this.
  12. Jmorey

Man, if any DFW people hate YR and want to offload some I dont fly out til Saturday. My bag isn't at capacity yet and besides a helpful BA I have struck out. :slight_smile:

13. hansenm72

hansenm72 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Texas

I just moved here at the end of June and have been on a mad hunt to find an IPA that can keep me happy like my beloved K4 Fantasy Factory that I left back home in WI. I've tried Deep Ellum, el Chingon, Jabberwocky, 100 Million Angels, Yellow Rose, Tupps, Hop Deluision, Grapevine Double Tropical, Intrinsic Dank you, 667 - some non TX but also non WI distro Ska, Stone(is actually just now WI distro), Odell, and I am sure others I am forgetting... Dankasauras has been my favorite but after writing this I am about to text a buddy back home to see what it will take for him to ship me a box of that sweet sweet Fantasy Factory.

Monkeypuker and dlphnfn like this.
  14. ACGypsy

ACGypsy Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2014 Texas

I would drink more Dank if it was fresh. My area of town is flooded with stuff from April and May. And Total has plenty with the labels peeled off.

Beernerds likes this.
  15. dlphnfn

dlphnfn Initiate (45) Aug 13, 2011 Iowa

Being from Iowa, it's easy to get spoiled. Yes, I said that right. :slight_smile: TG and Surly pales almost any time you walk into the grocery store. It's easy to get used to good beer all the time.

hansenm72 likes this.
  16. ElChuques

Don't sleep on the Real Ale IPAs. I always loved Full Moon Rye, especially after the recipe change. Not really an IPA, but Four Squared is one of the things I miss most about TX. I look at is as a session IPA before that was a thing.

Bigrock likes this.
  17. hansenm72

Pretty sure I have a Four Squared in my fridge right now.. .consider it queued up for consumption at about 5:32pm tonight.

ElChuques likes this.
  18. tpgraham

tpgraham Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Texas
    Deactivated

Fresh Four Squared is fantastic! A Real Ale rep mentioned that they date their hop forward beers 90 days out. That is very helpful when looking at what is on the shelf.

ElChuques likes this.
  19. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Texas

From another Badger, be glad you didn't move down here when I did 6 years ago. This place was a veritable wasteland for decent beer. Wasn't until late 2011 when things started getting better. Have you tried Community Mosaic IPA, Peticolas Sit Down or I'll Sit You Down, Peticolas Rye't On, Apline Nelson or Jester King Wytchmaker? I've had Fantasy Factory and if you're looking for something to match it in terms of body and spice for an IPA, you're going to be hard pressed. The one's I've mentioned are all phenomenal. As @ElChuques said too, Real Ale's Full Moon Rye IPA is another solid choice. Also Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye is delicious when it comes out.

20. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2006 Texas

Originally planned for end of this Month! Looks like it's still on the right path and will let y'all know when it's ready! It'll be in cans and as well on draft!

Rick

JJFoodie and zizouandyuki like this.
  21. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Devotee (429) May 11, 2009 Texas
    Society

I actually called them today, and was told it'll now be late October/early November on Big Hoppa...with Cuvee Pumpkin Latte (http://martinhousebrewing.com/the-beer/cuvee-pumpkin-latte/) coming out soon in cans and on draft...

TX-Badger likes this.
  22. ACGypsy

Anyone tried that 'Cloud City' by On Rotation? I rarely drive south of 635 but notice they call it a NE style IPA.

23. hansenm72

Good stuff, I have not gotten into Peticolas yet so I will grab a pack of Sit Down - I've never been a huge fan of Rye IPAs (I will drink Duet all day but not a huge fan of Nelson). Thanks for the tips!

Side note... this convo made me bite the bullet and finally coax a BA from back home to send me a case of K4FF

TX-Badger likes this.
  24. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

Peticolas is draft only, so you'd have to get a growler fill to have it at home.

25. tpgraham

Deactivated

Well so much for the dating. I just bought a bottle of Three Lions with a Best By date of Feb 27 2017. 149 days out.

26. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,580) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Yeah, I love Real Ale but this has always bugged me. Three Lions is a really good DIPA, but I hardly ever buy it cause their best buy dates always seem to be out of wack. Strangely Black Quad has a bottled on date :astonished:

27. ElChuques

Same here. If you're printing dates, why not use packaging date?

I seem to remember hearing they give their DIPAs 6 months and most other beers 120 days.

28. CreekOfTheDead

CreekOfTheDead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2016 Texas

Pussalia from Brash is pretty awesome. Real Ale has Acis which is really good. It's only on draft though.

29. ACGypsy

My apologies. I got a six pack of 9/16 Dank last Friday. It was no where near the beer I drank before. Low carb, very mild hop and yes some onion. Sorry to have recommended it. I swear it can be a very good beer sometimes. But not sure when I will try again.

Jvrdz24 likes this.
  30. Jmorey

No worries. I brought what I had back and gave a can to a friend. He got the same super strong garlic / onion out of it. So I was glad it wasn't just me.

31. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (541) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

Noticed the same thing...I don't get it.

32. buzzed

buzzed Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012 Texas

I was at a bar this past weekend and hadn't had a Dank in a while so I went for it....It tasted like garlic and onions just like you guys said...this was on draft too. Not sure what the deal is...I dont remember it being anything like that before.

Jmorey likes this.
  33. tpgraham

Deactivated

Sounds like it would be great to cook with.

34. Bloodsoup13

Bloodsoup13 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2012 Texas

Pinthouse Pizza- Electric Jellyfish. Just saying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

35. IrishColonial

IrishColonial Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2010 Texas

^^^^^So much this. Pinthouse Pizza makes, by far, the best IPAs in TX, especially if you are looking for the juice vs. the dank. In the past few months alone, Lupulin Wizard, Training Bines, 'Murican Dream, Road to Nowhere, Misfire, You Holdin' Bro?, Warning Shot, and Nomura Imperial Jellyfish have all been released and all are "juicy." Some of these I like to call Tree House killers. ;-)

obrike likes this.
  36. Persdawg

Persdawg Initiate (185) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Agree that Pinthouse could ball out if they ever go the canning route...16oz

37. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (452) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

I know I've said this (multiple times) before, but ALL REAL ALE BEERS HAVE PACKAGING DATES. This is true for all bottles and cans. ALL OF THEM. The best by date is in standard mm/dd/yy format, and the packaging date is in julian format underneath.

A couple of months ago, I did a "dueling cask" event with Yellow Rose and Dankosaurus at Big Hops. The brewers traded hops, so Dank was dry-hopped with Mosaic and YR was dry-hopped with Eureka. Dankosaurus ended up being the overwhelming house favorite the night we did the event.

On the San Antonio front, Weathered Souls is a brewery to keep an eye on if you're into those "juicy" NE-style IPAs. Their inaugural release is a Mosaic SMASH IPA brewed with NE water composition, and it's absolutely incredible. I'd expect that they'll do more of those from time to time as their head brewer is a big fan of that IPA style. Look for them to open their taproom by the end of this month, with distribution starting up around the same time.

Grendle, LarryK, Dogleg and 2 others like this.
  38. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

= RO style soft water :wink:

pwsoldier likes this.
  39. CreekOfTheDead

CreekOfTheDead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2016 Texas

Thank goodness! I was wondering when they were going to open. Marcus is killing it from what I hear. He's inspired me to take my homebrewing to the next level. :slight_smile:

pwsoldier likes this.
  40. Maich

Maich Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Texas

Just had some dank yesterday, didn't pick up on any off flavors it tastes just as I remember and is my favorite TX offering that's widely available in the category.....that being said I don't quite agree with it being a juice / citrus bomb in the way the NE is doing things

jamescain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.