Any 'juicy' IPAs brewed in Texas?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by zizouandyuki, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cultclassic89

cultclassic89 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

Not at all trying to promote my channel, but finally got to crack and review a can if anyone is interested. I thought it was fantastic out of the can. Missing the TH/Trill mouthfeel, reminded me a lot of something like DDH Envie.

frognot, LarryK, Jvrdz24 and 2 others like this.
  2. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,225) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Nice vid, granted I haven't tried any of the beers from NE other than Heady, I found the taste profile more along the lines of Yellow Rose minus the bitterness and mouth-feel. I seemed to think the mosaic dominated the taste profile whereas the citra had the nose working.

cultclassic89 likes this.
  3. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

Where in TX are you located? Would be happy to share some Tree House if you're close by. It's quite different from Heady, though Heady is superb in its own right.

4. donspublic

Society Trader

I am in Cypress area around 1960 and 290

5. Persdawg

Persdawg Initiate (198) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Trader

you...you did this to us!

Parish confirmed that demand has picked up for the flagship beers...so that will be the increased focus, and all of the juice bombs are getting put on hiatus (but not eliminated)

6. breakfast4dinner

breakfast4dinner Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2016 Texas

I didn't want this! Just passing along the news - it seemed relevant to this thread. Hopefully its very temporary, because I still need to try DDH Envie....

7. LarryK

LarryK Initiate (190) Jul 13, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Out of curiosity, where did they say this? Haven't seen any comment from them on any of their social media accounts or their blog.

8. breakfast4dinner

I just tried Tree House Haze and Green this week... I've had Trillium and Other Half, but now I can fully appreciate what the hype is all about. You should definitely seek some out @donspublic

Green was probably my favorite of the 2, so much citrusy fruit, with almost no bitterness (about as much bitterness as a citrus fruit), with a light creamy mouthfeel. Absolutely an amazing craft. Making my mouth water just thinking about it...

9. Chadzero

Chadzero Initiate (39) Dec 20, 2008 Texas

I had Sap and Green at a share on Sunday. Preferred sap. Can't speak to how old the cans were, but the Green had more bitterness and some astringency to it compared to the Sap. Both had a huge mouthfeel and were med-full bodied.

morsetx and breakfast4dinner like this.
  10. zizouandyuki

Ha! Those are the exact two that I tried when I first got my hands on TH. And while both were phenomenal, Green was also my favorite. Cheers!

11. Ben7773

Ben7773 Disciple (360) Mar 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

They announced it on a FB Louisiana beer group.

12. cheezdawg

cheezdawg Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2010 Texas

I may be partial as I helped brew and come up with recipe but we are releasing our hazy neipa at Flix Brewhouse on the 10th. This beer was brewed with Azacca, Galaxy, and Mosiac and is mighty tasty. We brewed only 1 7bbl batch so I don't expect it to last long.

Again I may be partial but I think it came out great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload for facebook

#292 cheezdawg, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Chadzero and cultclassic89 like this.
  13. breakfast4dinner

I'm still waiting for Flix to be built in Sugar Land!

14. cultclassic89

Since it hasn't been posted yet: Houston Haze release is Friday, March 17th at the brewery.

"Need another reason to join us for a little St. Paddy's Day fun?

Join us March 17th for the official Houston Haze Canning Release! These 16oz, 4 Pack cans will be sold in the taproom only and are available 1st come, 1st serve starting at 12pm.

As we say around here, 'The Juice is loose'! Come and get it while you can!"

Posted via Facebook

breakfast4dinner likes this.
  15. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,631) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Wait, is that Spindletap? How can they sell cans from the taproom, I thought they where with Silver Eagle? Or is this just for on site consumption...

breakfast4dinner likes this.
  16. cultclassic89

Edit: Looks like they made a new post and is saying it's at 10am now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do they not have a brewpub license? I figured they did if they're selling cans to go that day.

17. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,631) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I know they didn't have one when they opened, maybe they changed? Anyway, I'm sure they know the rules, I was just curious :slight_smile:

18. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Devotee (455) Jul 31, 2009 Texas

spindletap switched to BP license in april 2016

19. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Devotee (451) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Its been a long while since I've read through the latest posts on this thread - so its possible someone has already mentioned this....

BUT...I have to say that I have become thoroughly impressed with the IPAs coming out of the Whole Foods Brewery in Houston (corner of Post Oak & San Felipe).

Its my understanding that for a WFs, this specific location is a "first-of-its-kind". No other location brews its own beers. That said, I've been a patron of both the store and the bar for a long time. I'll admit, I disregarded their "home-brewed" beers for a long time. However, recently I went in for lunch - and it was humid as fuck outside - and someone was drinking an IPA that looked bigly refreshing. (Yes, I used "bigly" in a sentence)

I inquired.

I was told it was one of their home-brews.

And I haven't looked back since.

If someone out there disagrees and thinks their IPAs came up short, I'd love to hear why.

cultclassic89 and donspublic like this.
  20. Maich

Maich Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Texas

I haven't been a huge fan of WF as of late but the NEAF that was released yesterday is tasty def enjoyed it over Baa Baa and B-52 this past weekend. Also looking forward to spindletap a week from Friday

21. donspublic

Society Trader

I am not a demanding person but the Whole Food Post Oak Pale Ale is the shit, walked into the WF out by my work tonite and asked @Can_has_beer what was good on tap tonite and he said this...WFPOPA Differs between batches but always good. My work mate from Poland thought it was pretty good.

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  22. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Devotee (405) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana
    Trader

Basically the demand for the new Strawberry Canebrake has been crazy and I'm guessing it is very profitable for them to focus on making more of that during prime crawfish boil season. Supposedly, it means there will be no IPAs or DDH Envie bottled during March. I have heard there will be 4xDH Envie released in a week or two at the brewery that will be draft/crowlers only. I also heard the there will be a new batch of Ghost released in early April.

Hopefully they get back to the same pace they had going during January and February. They were killing it with the juicy, hoppy beer releases. At least regular Envie is still on-point and a great buy.

Goddamn Strawberry Canebrake!!!

23. breakfast4dinner

No Label Brewing tapping a test batch of their NEIPA tomorrow at 5pm.
    Double Dry Hopped with Mosaic, Citra & Amarillo hops
    6.7% abv 55 IBU

24. zizouandyuki

Curious to hear how this one turns out. Mosaic hasn't typically played well into the "juiciness" of this style from my experience. Hope someone will share notes here. Cheers!

25. LarryK

Trader

A few thoughts:

- Echoing @cultclassic89, I thought Wheez the Juice was very good, and my favorite of the Houston-area NE-style attempts to date. For whatever it's worth, I was drinking fresh Julius, Green and Haze all weekend, and so Wheez had quite a bit to contend with palate-wise, and it didn't disappoint (no, it's not Julius or anything, but context when tasting beers seems to get lost in the shuffle at times -- i.e., how old was the can; was it your first beer of the day; did you decant into a glass; how many IPAs did you have previously that have now wrecked your palate; etc. -- and so I think it's helpful to mention as Wheez could've been a pretty significant letdown in the schema of my weekend beer consumption). Wheez had very robust citrus flavor at only 5.5%, and most importantly the beer actually finished pleasantly (I have had countless local IPAs that started out promisingly only to completely fell off on the back end). Solid mouthfeel, and the beer looked the part as well. I'd love to know which yeast strain they used -- with the way the flavor really came together I'd guess it resided in the London Ale family.

- Also enjoyed Whole Foods' NEAF IPA. While I'm not sure the name ("New England AF") is quite an accurate representation of the beer -- and further underscores the fine line local breweries currently have to walk when thinking about categorizing a given beer as such, what with the inflated expectations these beers tend to carry -- as the mouthfeel didn't remind me of the standard-bearers of the style, it was nevertheless a very flavorful IPA (and borderline DIPA at 7.6%).

26. Maich

Maich Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Texas

Just cracked open another can of Wheeze this weekend both my buddy and I tasted a bit of onion/garlic coming off of it pretty much the same as Yellow Rose from time to time, anyone else picking up on it?

27. breakfast4dinner

I had one on Saturday.

I did notice that it was starting to get some off flavors and having more astringency compared to the one i had a day after canning.

28. LarryK

Trader

This conversation also goes to show you how inconsistent canning can occasionally be -- especially given that it was this brewery's first time doing it. Up in my hometown of NYC, which has quickly become one of the most potent producers of the style in the country between Other Half, Threes, LIC Beer Project, SingleCut, Interboro, Sand City in Long Island, and others, and with many of these breweries having numerous canning runs under their belts, I still hear about occasional issues with oxidized cans.

I got zero onion/garlic flavor on my can of Wheez, and yet a friend of mine who also enjoys NEIPAs and tends to be even more forgiving than I am really didn't care for his can, and I have to wonder if it wound up getting oxidized.

29. donspublic

Society Trader

well I think it also has more to do with beer maturing/changing. Go to the home brewing section and you will hear a lot of them say they prefer their IPA's with about 2 weeks on them. Something happens in that 2 week period that can affect the taste, and it tends to mellow out

30. breakfast4dinner

^I have one more can, I'm going to save it for Friday.

Maybe Spindletap has the right idea canning today for a Friday release.

31. LarryK

Trader

Unquestionably IPAs -- especially the juicier new-wave NE ones -- evolve more rapidly than any other popular style, and indeed, virtually the entire monthly Tree House thread on BA is full of folks saying they find the beers upon release to be too "green" and that two weeks out from canning is their sweet spot.

However in this instance, both @Maich and @breakfast4dinner seemed to indicate a change for the worse with Wheez on subsequent cans a mere week after canning, which may be more indicative of canning hiccups. For reference, my can was also a week old and I had no issues with it, though I also didn't have a first can to compare it to.

32. donspublic

Society Trader

yeah i have a 4 pack in the fridge I haven't touched, will crack one tonite and see what's going on

JRGVII, Maich and LarryK like this.
  33. Tbrown60

Tbrown60 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 Texas

Electric Jellyfish from Pinthouse Pizza in Austin is the closest thing I have found so far to beers like Julius, or Sip of Sunshine.

34. cultclassic89

I just had another can of Wheez on Saturday and I thought it was just as great as the first two I had. We'll be cracking one Friday alongside Houston Haze and NEAF, so I'll write up a post on my thoughts on the three side by side afterwards.

35. zizouandyuki

With all due respect, that's a rough comparison. Julius and Sip of Sunshine are VERY different beers. And EJ isn't very close to either of them. It's a good beer, just not in the same arena as the other two.

36. LarryK

Trader

Hey y'all, I got an early preview of Houston Haze. It's legit.

nbbyrd, JRGVII, cultclassic89 and 3 others like this.
  37. breakfast4dinner

Define legit - is it Tree House Trillium good? Best in Texas good?

I'll be there bright and early.

cultclassic89 and zizouandyuki like this.
  38. tBrEoElRl

tBrEoElRl Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2017 Texas

I tried it at Drink of Ages when they were sampling it. I came in with modest expectations thinking they couldn't possibly hit this out of the park with the first batch. But Houston Haze exceeded expectations. It's not on the level of TH or Trillium, but it's definitely a decent NE IPA. They should be commended for taking on the challenge. That said all this was canned in the last couple of days. Who knows how it'll hold up over the next 30.

39. LarryK

Trader

Ha I don't play those games. Comparing anyone to the two best purveyors of the style in the world is a fool's errand.

"Legit" for me means that if you like the style of the beer those two breweries make, I would be surprised if you didn't like Houston Haze.

I've had most -- though not all -- of the Texas NE-Style IPAs that have been released in the last few months, and as I mentioned in my write-up that I linked to, this is the first (and only) one that's actually gotten the mouthfeel right.

40. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 Texas

I dont know anything about Spindletap or the Houston scene. Is this going to stick around all day, or should I expect JK lines and have to be there before open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.