Any 'juicy' IPAs brewed in Texas?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by zizouandyuki, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maich

Maich Oct 23, 2014 Texas

It's basically the first 240 people. I would doubt it makes it past Friday and plan to be there at 9:30 ish

2. Maich

Maich Oct 23, 2014 Texas

I'd say Houston haze is sold out at this point

wiingman likes this.
  3. breakfast4dinner

breakfast4dinner Nov 21, 2016 Texas

Yeah alot of people showed up around 9:30.
    Nice meeting you @cultclassic89

cultclassic89 likes this.
  4. wiingman

wiingman Aug 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Was a bit letdown by the beer. I think @LarryK built up the hype a bit too much with this:
    http://houstonbeerguide.com/spindletap-nails-houston-haze/

The beer is pretty good, but hopefully they can continue to refine it. Was a bit of a letdown to me after that review. Then again, I don't really love IPAs and think the only things that should be dry hopped are saisons/sours.

Also, the owner said they're brewing a new batch in 2 weeks for anyone that missed out. With the quick fermenting time of these beers, next batch should be out in less than a month.

5. breakfast4dinner

I thought Houston Haze was the best NEIPA I've had in TX so far. Was able to try some WTF is Juice and some other pinthouse IPAs today as well.

6. LarryK

LarryK Jul 13, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Definitely not my intention to overhype, although FWIW you say yourself you "don't love IPAs." Thus far most of the folks I've spoken with who like this style have been happy with Houston Haze. It definitely checked most of the boxes I look for when consuming NEIPA, and it's not like I said "this is the best beer ever brewed in history." Just that it was the first local attempt I had that I thought was actually brewed to style. But at the end of the day we all have different palates. Cheers!

7. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Houston Haze was the best thing we've seen in terms of a NEIPA, at least 'round deez parts.

JRGVII, cultclassic89, Maich and 2 others like this.
  8. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Nov 26, 2015 Texas

@Dwood1466 @Persdawg I'm headed to LUCK on Sunday to give Turning Point a try. After exchanging a few emails w/ them, I'm pretty excited to try these beers. Tree House seems to have been what sparked their desire to deliver NEIPAs to Texans.

9. cultclassic89

cultclassic89 Oct 19, 2013 Texas

You too man!

Honestly, out of the can I think it's fantastic. It's still pretty green, but the nose is incredible. Bubblegum, Dole pineapple banana juice was what I got. I prefer it to Wheez and NEAF, but what's great is that each is unique in its own way. I'll crack a can to review here within the next day or so.

LarryK, JRGVII and breakfast4dinner like this.
  10. Dwood1466

Dwood1466 Feb 3, 2017 Texas
    Trader

Let us know how it goes!

11. breakfast4dinner

Texian had a test batch NEIPA today. They are walking distance from my house and sadly didn't even know about it until an hour ago. Anyone try it?

cultclassic89 likes this.
  12. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Anyone on this thread know if SpindleTap has Houston Haze on draft at their brewery?

13. breakfast4dinner

They sold out both cans and draft on Friday. They're gonna brew it again very soon though

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  14. zizouandyuki

Feedback from Turning Point tasting @ Luck today:
    • 'Extra Pulp' is the real deal. Not on par with Tree House, but I'd put it up against some of Trillium's offerings without question.
    • 'Heavy Pulp' was undercarbed and too sweet. Something was off with this beer, and it's way off the style. Can't say it was bad, but I wouldn't seek this one out again without improvement.
    • 'DDH Single Hoptions' was a good run of the mill IPA. Nothing terribly unique here, but well made and something I'd drink again. Definitely wouldn't categorize this as NEIPA.
    • 'DDH Oaked Extra Pulp' was solid for an oaked IPA. Wouldn't be my first choice at an open bar, but well done for the style.
    • 'Banana Stand Money Ice CREAM Stout' just wasn't my cup of tea. Missed a lot of the chocolate notes I was hoping for. Had some tartness to it, which I didn't find appealing. Not bad, but also not a beer I'd seek in the future.
    Long and short... These guys need to ramp up production of Extra Pulp. It's a damn good beer that I would drink all year long. I get that they want to try their hands at something new, but nail this first and deviate from it slowly.

15. Persdawg

Persdawg Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Trader

They do a DDH extra pulp...which was my first of theirs to try...and it's their best by far!
    They didn't have it out there yesterday.
    The plum/boysenberry sour was great.
    Their oatmeal stout was way in point as well.

That being said...nine of the other breweries there had anything on Turning Point

16. LarryK

LarryK Jul 13, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Sounds promising. Any idea what their timeline is? Based on their social media posts it looks like they've been fairly regularly taking samples around to area bars and festivals, but per their Kickstarter they still appear to be a ways off from producing anything commercially...

17. zizouandyuki

Not sure about the timeline. I do like these guys and want them to be successful, but their Kickstarter campaign is a bit of a turnoff: $250 for a hat, a shirt, and some other swag doesn't interest me. If $250 got me some kind of membership that guaranteed an allocation at each release, I'd gladly fork over the money.

donspublic likes this.
  18. Maich

Maich Oct 23, 2014 Texas

Kickstarter for breweries always seems like the consumer paying for advertising to me.

19. donspublic

donspublic Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah in the scheme of things yes, there is no value there for the money. My kids did the kickstarter thing for one of growlers (uKeg). Neat looking thing I have only used twice, but there was value for what they gave, an actual product. I see how this works for physical merchandise, but I don't see how it works for me just funding your brewery because you can't raise the money some other way. There is nothing they are offering that would make me go "hey will help you out". If anything give a coupon book with free pints with expiration dates on them if you don't want to create a release club.

20. NDogg44

NDogg44 Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Society Trader

This type of fundraising feels like panhandling to me. It feels like the brewery is asking for money and essentially giving up nothing because they aren't willing to give up a percentage of their company or capable of raising money from investors on their own.

21. zizouandyuki

Shit... you're still on BA? Thought we got lucky and lost you a few months back :grinning:

22. NDogg44

Society Trader

I poke my head out every now and then to say something incredibly impactful. :slight_smile:

23. mig100

mig100 Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I give the haze craze another 6 months before it dies down considerably. But I guess it's still new to TX...

24. ElChuques

ElChuques Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

Prairie did the kickstarter thing to get started, and they screwed people over in the end.

I don't like it.

breakfast4dinner likes this.
  25. JRGVII

JRGVII Oct 26, 2015 Texas

I knew they used kickstarter, but didn't know they screwed people over? How'd they do that?

26. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I agree it is a trend, the newest shiniest thing around for people to geek out on and also agree the craze will die down, but not sure how fast or how much? I personally don't have that much interest in the "style", but find the obsession some here have with it to be fascinating...

erushing likes this.
  27. BrettLS

BrettLS Jun 8, 2010 Texas

I'm tired of trends.

(Takes a sip of my barrel-aged triple IPA with brettanomyces.)

28. DonD

DonD Jun 23, 2008 Texas

Trillium just celebrated their 4th anniversary and had to open a second facility to try and keep up with demand. Tree House is coming up on their 5th and is about to open their new facility to also try and keep up with demand.

But yeah, this will all pass in a few months, I'm sure.

29. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Never said they were going to pass. Just eventually the trend and crazy hype will die down. Not that bold of a prediction at all considering how fast trends come and go with American craft beers.

30. Ben7773

Ben7773 Mar 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I agree 100% with what you said about this beer and I am an IPA fan. I hope this gets refined with the upcoming batches.
    Try some Weathered Souls IPAs. Everything I've had from them has been very tasty.

JJFoodie and breakfast4dinner like this.
  31. mig100

mig100 Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Trillium and Tree House are the flagship purveyors of the recent haze craze, with The Alchemist being somewhat of the genesis of the whole model with Heady... A hazy and tropical IPA sold in tall boy can 4-packs. None of these breweries are going anywhere, definitely.

But people tripping all over themselves for the latest up-start haze producing brewery will die down a lot IMO

champ103 likes this.
  32. zizouandyuki

I don't think it will die down until we're given a legitimate, local representation for this style, which is popular for a reason - It's good.

I can't speak for everyone contributing to this thread, but we're 350+ posts in, and I've yet to find anything in TX that is equivalent to Tree House. Until that happens, I think the hunt continues.

nbbyrd and breakfast4dinner like this.
  33. mig100

mig100 Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

@zizouandyuki I don't know that we'll ever have a TX version of Tree House, but people are fickle. Hell, The Veil are already making turbid green IPA's lol

zizouandyuki likes this.
  34. zizouandyuki

Ha. The Veil is the real deal, too! Eternal Eternal Shredder Shredder is one of the best beers I've had. The "haziness" wasn't there, but I'll be damned if the flavors weren't spot on. Cheers!

mig100 likes this.
  35. Tbrown60

Tbrown60 Jun 5, 2013 Texas

I wasn't saying it was close in quality.. Those two beers are incredible. I was simply referring to the NE style IPA. You guys on these threads are too intense. It is just beer man. To be enjoyed. It is not a battle. What I usually tell people that don't have the same opinion (Even though I was not suggesting those beers were similar in anything but NE "Juicy") is that there is a reason there are 31 flavors at Baskin and Robbins. Taste buds are different. Doesn't mean yours are better, just different. I have also had Red Horn's "More Better" milkshake DIPA, and I personally think it is awesome. Are you going to say I am wrong about what tastes good to me?

36. JRGVII

JRGVII Oct 26, 2015 Texas

Yes.

/s :slight_smile:

breakfast4dinner likes this.
  37. ElChuques

They offered a higher and reward for a large donation and never came through. I think it was $1500 to come for a brew day and have the opportunity to name the beer. I have a friend that paid and was ignored.

38. NDogg44

Society Trader

Wow. There has to be some sort of recourse for this through Kickstarter, doesn't there? If not, how are the businesses supposed to be held accountable for their promises?

39. zizouandyuki

Prairie did this?

40. ElChuques

I'm sure there is, but I guess it didn't work out. Maybe it's like eBay, and there is a deadline. I think they (PAA) strung him along via email for some time.

Yes. That, coupled with their ridiculous pricing, is why I don't support them.

Techichi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.