Any New Year's Brewdays going on?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VincentFrey, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VincentFrey

VincentFrey Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Maryland

I got laid up this entire week due to an unexpected surgery, so I'm brewing a bunch tomorrow to take my mind off it.

Belgian IPA
    "Sweet" Stout
    Transfer a wild oatmeal stout over to oak to let it sit for 4-6 weeks.

Should keep my mind off things and be a good day! What's anyone else doing?

2. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2009 New York

Kegging an IPA. GP/ Belgian Munich base. All bursted Citra, Amarillo, Centennial and UK Progress.

Cheers!

3. VincentFrey

VincentFrey Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Maryland

Nice! I've never used Progress before. I have two kegs available I could transfer two farmhouse IPAs into, but I'm thinking they'd age better (brett involved) if bottled. And waiting for a fruited cali common to clear; think I need some bentonite for the pectin.

4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Not until this weekend.

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,036) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

This weekend... Anglo/American Pale Ale. With Rye.

6. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2009 New York

Progress is like a spicy Fuggels. At least to me.;-) I use it in a lot of styles.

Cheers!

7. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (419) May 2, 2006 Utah

Just watching last week's Pilsner ferment and working on the recipe for the next beer, a Vienna Lager. Happy New Year to all ! :sunglasses:

8. Sqhead

Sqhead Initiate (115) Jul 5, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Waiting for the bowl games to begin. No brewing today, but going with the Everett clone on Saturday.

9. LRRP

LRRP Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Texas

No bowl games here in Norway so I am racking a pilsner to the secondary and enjoying the new red IPA that I bottled two weeks ago.

10. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

No brewing here. Got a keg of a BA Chocolate Stout getting close to carbed in the keg that I want to drink so bad.

BA Scotch ale is resting away, tasting like it's coming together nicely so far.

Thats about all I have "incomplete" at the moment. My truck transmission blew up the other day, so who knows when I'll have time or cash to run to the store.

I'm working on a recipe for a good brown ale, something similar to Averys brown, and then I think I want to brew up some lager of sorts.. Maybe a bock.

11. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Brewing a Golden Promise/Mosaic SMaSH best bitter tomorrow. First go round with Simpson's GP (LHBS of choice doesn't carry Fawcett, the sack of Fawcett I got last time from the other LHBS seemed really old and dried out) and Mosaic (I've enjoyed it in commercial beers, though) and retrying the Mangrove Jack's Burton Union yeast in something it might actually show up in.

12. BeerDunson

BeerDunson Initiate (108) Jul 20, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Just finished a big barley wine. I hit 1.120, I did an overnight mash and woke up at 6 to sparge and start boiling, which I did for 3.5 hours. Also collected two gallons of the first runnings and boiled it on the stove until it got super thick. Can't wait to try it!

13. redmaw

redmaw Initiate (180) Jun 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

Bottled an Irish red that I hope was done (OG 1.050, FG 1.020, recipe calls for 4.5% I'm at 4%, but doesn't give a target FG).

14. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Brewing an ESB of sorts. My coworkers voted for Chinook and Sterling hops, so that's what I'm going with. With Wyeast 1335 British Ale II, let's just call it a mutt.

15. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,671) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

Fuggles never gets the luv it deserves. It's a really tasty hop, very complex.

I'll brew something on saturday. Don't exactly have a "plan" yet, except to brew something and cook some baby back ribs. Oh, and to get the final dimensions of the next phase of the mancave/brewhaus on paper so it can be built next week.

Slatetank, DubbelMan and bgjohnston like this.
  16. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

No brewing, but this is the first New Year's Day for me to have 3 different beers actively fermenting right now, so I am pretty much at my maximum comfortable capacity.

17. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (316) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

I'm planning on brewing a big English Old Ale on Friday to age until next Xmas/New years.

18. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

As stated above, no brewing today. Removed the oak from my now 1/2 keg of Imperial Stout. This Friday night I will mash in 25# of GP. Saturday morning I will run off for a Wee Heavy (steeping a blend of English crystal malts and black malt for color), and an APA SMaSH with NZ Rakau hops. Both will get 1056. Wee Heavy I am shooting for 1.114 OG, 1.032 FG, 34 IBUs, 10.7% ABV. APA 1.048 OG, 1.012 FG, 45 IBUs, 4.7% ABV. I will also finish the plumbing on my utility sink in the brewery by installing the drain system.

19. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

Brewed a Bohemian pilsner and dealt with the bitter cold. The spigot was frozen solid so we had to put the kettle in a snow drift. Woof

20. Seacoastbrewer

What is the Anglo portion? I'm intrigued

21. VikeMan

Society

Wyeast 1028 and late hopped with Fuggles. (But dry hopped with amarillo.)

22. Seacoastbrewer

Wyeast says: A rich mineral profile that is bold and crisp with some fruitiness. Often used for higher gravity ales and when a high level of attenuation is desired.

Sounds great - is this a recipe you would ferment warm to encourage fruity esters and compliment the fruity amarillo? Or ferment colder to let the late fuggles and DH amarillo shine?

23. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,671) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

Decided saturday will be a long lost rye-PA type thingie we developed here during a thread. With 4 lbs of rye malt, 12 lbs total grains, will 1.5 lbs of rice hulls be enough? Cuz that's what I ordered! :rolling_eyes:

Guess I'll have to look up the old thread, because I can't remember what the hops were sposeda be.

24. VikeMan

Society

This one will be at 68F. But 1028 has always thrown a fair amount of esters for me, at any temp, though I haven't tested super low temps with it. When I made this particular recipe before, the esters and the hops both showed up and didn't clash. And the late fuggles were not overwhelmed by the amarillo DH, which I had been (needlessly) worried about. I only used an ounce of amarillo before, but I'm upping it to 1.5 this time.

25. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (182) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

I brewed an adambier. Small batch but it is the first run of a recipe that I hope to tweak over time into a great recipe.

This weekend if I have the time I plan on brewing my second lambic of the winter. With a turbid mash it's a long, long brew day and the mash requires a lot of attention so it's pretty much all I'll do that day.

26. sternamagrapha7x

sternamagrapha7x Initiate (155) Dec 4, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

90 Min IPA clone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.