Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Any non craft beer you actually love?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Amateurbrewmaster, Sep 4, 2017.

1. tzieser

tzieser Champion (856) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Right, I knew they were owned by one of the big boys. I personally consider it a retro brand though because of the regional popularity of it (I have zero evidence to back this up and I'm sure our favorite beer historian @jesskidden will correct me). To be honest, I don't really know what the criteria is (if any) for a retro brand. Perhaps a brand that was once discontinued and has been brought back?

2. tzieser

tzieser Champion (856) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

First off, you absolutely shouldn't get roasted for that and anyone who does is a self-righteous asshole who probably likes to smell his/her own farts.

Rolling Rock was our keg of choice for college parties. $40 a keg, which was a step up from $35 kegs of PBR. Totally worth the extra $5.

LuskusDelph and IPAExpert69 like this.
  3. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Aspirant (269) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,289) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

When AB first bought the "Rolling Rock" and "Latrobe Brewing Co." brands from some Belgian company ("InBev", not sure what happened to them), they initially brewed it in AB's Newark brewery (they even still had "glass-lined tanks" there - state of the art in the late '40s) - even though the labels read "Latrobe Brewing Co., St. Louis, MO" - as allowed by the TTB.

Since then, AB has pulled out all of the bottling lines in Newark*, so they only can or keg. I'd imagine, given the tradition of the green bottle, a large portion of Rolling Rock is still bottled. Last I looked, the RR labels now list all the AB breweries, so one would have to check the date/bottling code (below) to figure out which AB brewery a particular bottle or can of RR was brewed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

* It appears that if any AB US brewery is on their chopping block, it's Newark. Second oldest, pretty much land-locked and probably the real estate is worth a lot (situated across from Newark Airport). I noticed they announced $2 billion upgrades to their breweries a few months ago, and Newark was pretty conspicuously absent from the list. A once great brewing town (Ballantine, Schalk, Feigenspan, Krueger, Hensler, Hoffman, Pabst...) without a brewery.

tzieser and LuskusDelph like this.
  5. mrpoizun

mrpoizun Initiate (62) Sep 8, 2008 South Dakota

There are a lot of horrible craft beers out there. I've given up on trying IPA's or wheat beers because they're too expensive to try when they so often turn out to be horrible. So I find myself drinking more PBR because it's got the same grainy beer taste it's always had so you always know what you're getting. Old Mill is good. Miller High Life is a little thin on taste, but not nearly as bad as any light beer. (like Guiness Draught)
    I also like Grain Belt Premium or Nordeast, Leinenkugel regular lager....... but are those craft?

LuskusDelph likes this.
  6. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (5,164) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Me - "when in doubt 'Blue Moon' it out," or just the regular one, I admit it. Eh, well, or at least one time in my life. Used to love it with some buffalo wings and bleu cheese dip for football games, but I really don't buy any of this like I used to. Oh well......

VABA likes this.
  7. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (876) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Subscriber

As my avatar would point out, I'm also a huge fan of Guinness. It's not my favourite stout by an stretch of the imagination, but it is a beauty all it's own.

As for Adjuncts, I have to admit that I really enjoy an ice cold Budweiser. It's my go to refreshment beers whenever the weather calls for an ice cold brew.

8. colts9016

colts9016 Poo-Bah (1,683) Jul 2, 2007 Idaho
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I had a chance to try Guinness from an Ireland pub. Dunno maybe it was because I was in Ireland, but the Guinness was delicious.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  9. doktorhops

doktorhops Meyvn (1,469) Jan 12, 2011 Australia

Yes, Guinness in an Irish pub is still a wintery go-to of mine, and a cold Corona in summer (with a lime wedge of course) is still a summery go-to... these are reinforced by a sense of nostalgia due to being the only two beers I drank when I was in my early 20's.

10. theBubba

theBubba Aspirant (219) Nov 22, 2008 New York

I'm a home brewer and I love "craft" beers but as a hop (IPA) hater I have poured too many $$$ beers down the drain. It seems the hop craze has affected styles that it shouldn't. So I'll go to Narragansett when I can find it here in NY. Otherwise a few Natural Ice will get me where I want to go. When I'm crafty it's Troegenator. Absolutely.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  11. dcall384

dcall384 Disciple (345) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

My favorite hashtag!

12. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,062) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I spent a week in Dublin in June of 2008 on vacation with my wife. Our hotel had a pub in it. I don't need to tell you how good the Guinness was -- better than anything I've had in the US. I'm currently hooked on Coors Banquet or Coors Original if you will. When I drink I usually drink craft and non-craft.

TongoRad likes this.
  13. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Disciple (339) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota

Goose Island IPA is still pretty solid for me, even after the "takeover" (and I'm not the world's biggest IPA fan). And I can still settle into a Blue Moon or two. (It used to be a "gatekeeper" brew a couple of decades ago, for crying out loud).

And a Guinness won't ever do you wrong.

14. David_Porter

David_Porter Initiate (69) Sep 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yuengling or PBR if I’m feeling poor.

15. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (131) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Yuengling Summer Wheat. I think it is a solid American interpretation of the classic Bavarian Hefeweizen. Their Oktoberfest is usually a dependable Oktoberfest, too.

Ranbot likes this.
  16. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (80) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Tecate
    Dos Equis
    I can't get it here, but I drank some Ranier in the PNW and enjoyed it for what it was.

17. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (810) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

'And for drinks?'
    'What beers to you have?'
    'Kingfisher and Guinness.'
    'Two gin and tonics, please.'

breadwinner and JackHorzempa like this.
  18. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (252) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Domestically I don't think there are any beers that don't fit the (rather arbitrary) definition of craft that I would go as far as saying I love. Like, yes, but not love.

Imports are another story, but how do you define "craft" for those? Pilsner Urquell, Weihenstephaner, Fuller's London porter, certain varieties of Guinness, Etc. Etc. I love them for sure, so I guess trying to figure out if they are craft or not really isn't something I'm going to waste time on.

TongoRad likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.