1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

Any of the BA chilli stouts live up to the trade cost?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by ZamaMan, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ZamaMan

ZamaMan Apr 5, 2013 California

Hey guys,

I'm looking for one last beer for a bottle share and am thinking the thing its missing is a chilli stout. What do you guys think the best cost/taste value is in the BA chilli category? They all seem to command crazy trade values. I'm dying to try BA abraxas but it's even hard to see what trades can actually get that one done so it looks kinda impossible for me. I have had regular hunphpu and think its a phenomenal beer so can only imagine the BA versions are great and they seem a bit more catchable. Have never tried Mexican cakes buy they seen to be the easiest to get out of those right?

If I'm not able to get any of the BA versions which of the regular chilli stouts do you guys think is the best?

In terms of my trade ammo its running a bit low but I got west coast stuff like Russian river, Bruery RS like BT and possibly can trade my GM batch 1 and cigar city el catador stuff.

Thanks for the thoughts on these beers guys.

2. WagonCircler

WagonCircler May 15, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

As far as taste to cost ratio - get some pirate bomb

mikecharley and ant_wailes like this.
  3. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Agree with Pirate Bomb. Going to be much easier to get than BA Cakes, Huna, Abraxas, etc.

4. Shilt

Shilt Dec 26, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Regular Mexican cake shouldn't be to tough to et and it's very solid. I was able to but that beer online, and if I had any extra I'd e more than happy to send it your way. Good luck, OP!

ZamaMan likes this.
  5. Stevedore

Beer Trader

OP keyword: BA

6. Shilt

Beer Trader

He also mentions, if he can't land the BA versions, which regular version could he land relatively easy. Read the whole thing buddy...

7. Stevedore

Beer Trader

My bad, I'm very sorry about that. Staying on topic, do you know if they've continued to produce Mexican Cake or was it the one time anniversary release this year?

8. Shilt

Beer Trader

It was released two years ago for their anniversary, and they brought it back ths year by popular demand. My guess, is that based on popularity it will be a yearly thing.

9. phishphorce

phishphorce Aug 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

The main problem I have is none of the Non BA chili stouts are that good to me. When they get put in a barrel they seem to turn into magic though.

Not that they are not good but they are not great for me.

10. raczkowski

raczkowski May 16, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I may be against the popular opinion, but when I tried Ba huna this year, I was kinda underwhelmed, so I traded mine for a bramble and cherry rye. The Ba Mexican ales were incredible. I'd trade for any of those at the moment if they were available.

And BA abraxas I'll never get to try bc of the demand and low bottle count.

11. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Dec 31, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

had the cake set tonight... I'd say the wine was the only to live up to the hype. I didn't think the ab was as crazy as its trade value. It actually tasted like cherry rye. I had a cali brandy a month ago but I traded a satsuma for it.

#11 HugeBulge, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  12. ZamaMan

Some good info in here thanks guys. I didn't even ever bother looking into pirate bomb so that's good to know. I will defiantly try to snag a bottle or two at least for personal drinking.

So I'm thinking I will go for whatever ba cake I can get my hands on as people seem to be really liking those. Seems like as far as non ba chilli beers most people agree hunahpu is best? I've had it once a while ago and defiantly want to try it again soon so that and pirate bomb will be my fall back.

BTW what are the BA Mexican cakes trading for? Is like a bottle of black Tuesday and rye Bois or something along that level about right?

Thanks again guys

13. nrs207

nrs207 Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

AB Cake is going for a lot. The red wine is the easiest. The JD cake is somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure about BT and Rye Bois. I'm thinking that won't be enough, but maybe could come close on a wine BA cake. Someone else would have to chime in on that. The Voodoo Grande Negro Voodoo Papi in AB barrels is delicious too, but that's tough to trade for at around 260 bottles total. And Hunahpu's is my favorite non-BA stout amongst all the conpetitors by a fair margin.

14. mikecharley

mikecharley Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I agree with the statement about pirate bomb. I have one in the cellar, but have not had it, although regular bomb is quite nice. Many of the others, ba abraxas, ba cakes, ba huna, etc. are difficult to trade for. The biggest under the radar one would be Grande Negro Voodoo Papi. Although being under the radar doesn't make it easy to trade for, as it has under 300 bottles.

Edit TLDR: Go for the pirate bomb.

15. ncaudle

ncaudle May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

it's kind of funny how GNVP is the lowest bottle count of all the ones listed yet probably the easiest, comparatively, to trade for

16. nrs207

Beer Trader

The K13 stole the show even though GNVP was just as good IMO. Voodoo is slowly getting up there. I'm not sure why BA Abraxas got so big. Haven't liked any of the beers from that brewery including regular Abraxas. So I don't get how it got so hyped so fast. BA huna and the Mexican cakes make sense to me. But hey, just keep your GNVP. It's friggin great.

17. ncaudle

Beer Trader

it's very good, but not nearly as good as the version of GNVP they had on draft back at the March Barrel Room release

Shilt likes this.
  18. WagonCircler

WagonCircler May 15, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Was that not barrel aged?

Also a lot of hypin going on in here.

19. ncaudle

Beer Trader

myself and others swear the chalkboard said PvW aged, but a friend that works there doesn't think it was BA'ed

20. nrs207

Beer Trader

That's surprising. I didn't make the March release. I haven't had my bottle yet, but I had it on draft at the release in September and it was so much better than I anticipated since I don't like normal BBVD or the normal AB BBVD.

21. Shilt

Beer Trader

The GNVP on draft during March release was/is in fact better than AB GNVP. They used ghost peppers in it, and it was fantastic. It was not barrel aged. I won't hype the AB GNVP as I've traded mine away, but I will say it's a fantastic beer. On par with AB Huna? Hell no, but still delicious in its own right.

22. ncaudle

Beer Trader

@Shilt does BA ABraxas even compare with the AB Huna? ;)

Shilt likes this.
  23. nrs207

Beer Trader

How about Cali Brandy Huna? Drinking that this weekend. I'll see how it compares. I can't believe it's not close to AB Huna. AB Huna must be silly good.

24. ZamaMan

Ehh wanna try an huna so bad as those flavors seem like they would go awesome. Looks like I settled on going with red wine cake for what I feel was real reasonable.

I also had the chance to grab rum huna as well but went with the cake since A it's something new and B I can almost find no news in the rum huna.

25. Shilt

Beer Trader

It is silly good. Cali brandy is very good, actually had on the same night as an AB GNVP and the voodoo more than held its own.

Red wine Mexican cake is no slouch. You got a damn fine beer. One I would take over Huna, or Cali Brandy Huna. Glad it worked out. Enjoy!

26. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

I preferred the og Huna to the Cali Brandy. I had a from of Pirate Bomb at the pints for prostates rare beer thing called prarie de bescones or something, the brewer said it got more chocolate than he wanted but it was delicious anyways.

27. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

JD Mexi cake was amazing. One of my favorite BA stouts ever.
    Haven't opened the red wine yet, but I imagine it is right up there.

Didn't think Huna or reg Mexi cake was anything spectacular. Loved Abraxas, never had the BA version

28. ncaudle

Beer Trader

imo, JD Cake is the worst of the 3 (not saying it's bad, the RW and AB are just that good)
    not a fan of regular Abraxas... the pepper is too vegetal tasting

29. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

please stop tempting me to open the red wine varient!

30. Shilt

Beer Trader

Do it! I've had it six times now, and loved it every time. It's drinking great, don't see age doing anything special to it.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe