Any Utica MI people?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by HisBoyElroy, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,760) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Woodmaster was good, but not great. Rye Not was decent. HopStache smelled fantastic but tasted "meh" (one of few to say that). I didn't care for Prolonged Enjoyment in the mouthfull that I got. I didn't like Anniversary Ale, but that's probably just because it was my first wheatwine and I'm guessing I don't like them. Beard of Zeus was really good. I'll be trying Dan's Pink Skirt soon either at Boatworks (:wink:) or when I go to my bottleshop and get a bottle.

I didn't try the others -- ran out too quickly.

And I prefer Short's to Dragonmead, but both have quite a few hit or misses.

Additionally, I wasn't impressed with Ale la Reverend or Kind Ale last year. Bloody Beer's the same story, but I went into it figuring I wouldn't like it. There are plenty of beers that they make that I either really enjoy or could easily pass on.

Maybe not inconsistent for many others, but is for me.

Brianw508 likes this.
  2. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

Dan's Pink Skirt is awesome.

3. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

There's fallacy in this statement in the fact that Shorts doesn't have "quite a few" misses and Dragonmead doesn't have "quite a few" hits. I understand the largely objective nature of this statement based on personal preference and opinion, but your first paragraph basically tells me everything I need to know about your opinion.

4. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,760) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Everybody has a brewery or list of random beers that they like more than most people, or dislike more than most people.

Elroy: Good to know. Dat label.

5. bierenutz

bierenutz Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

That's what I thought. My visits there were many years ago, likely before the Walker's ownership.

6. Ant7780

Ant7780 Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Michigan

The Club House BFD in Rochester. It's right off of M-59 and Crooks, so if you're near 59 you can be there in 10 min. Best draft selection in the area I think, plus a pretty good food menu.

7. Brianw508

Brianw508 Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

I recommend trying clubhouse, but bring your cc. They take NO prisoners with prices and I really enjoyed it until they raised prices and I found out certain things about them that turned me off

8. HisBoyElroy

I work at 59 and Crooks. Might have to stop by.

9. HisBoyElroy

Than again, I might not.

10. Ant7780

As far as prices go, they have half off drafts during certain games, Sunday football etc. also the flights are not badly priced

11. Brianw508

Here's my last visit, a flight of beer, 2 glasses of Noel de calabaza, burger, fries, Mac n cheese, chicken tenders, was 65, before tip. I don't mind paying for things but don't expect to be raped

steebo777 likes this.
  12. HisBoyElroy

That's just insane. I'll pass.

13. Brianw508

The food is more my speed personally, then One eyed Betty's. but I'm not a big fan of either place. I do recommend trying it and deciding for yourself.

14. Ant7780

Sorry I mean clubhouse prices.

15. SeanfromShorts

SeanfromShorts Aspirant (281) Feb 9, 2009 Michigan

Nothing beats Boat Works in St. Claire Shores for good beer, food and atmosphere!

steebo777 and Brianw508 like this.
  16. Brianw508

Thanks Sean. I appreciate that.

17. alfie

alfie Aspirant (225) Apr 16, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I just came back from lunch at Boat Works. 2 Wheat of Passions and a BLT later, i'm stuffed and enjoying the rest of my workday. Great place, friendly people. I will be there again soon.

Brianw508 likes this.
  18. Brianw508

Thank you alfie. We've got rubaeus coming next week if your interested.

Spartan213 likes this.
  19. alfie

alfie Aspirant (225) Apr 16, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

absolutely!

Brianw508 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.