Any worthy beer events in Michigan this summer?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by bobbyr5, May 21, 2013.

1. bobbyr5

bobbyr5 May 17, 2013 Michigan

Looking find some cool beer events and festivals for the summer. Anyone have any that they would recommend?

2. Runninmixz

Runninmixz Sep 22, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Brewers Guild Summerfest July 26th-27th.
    Kuhnhenn's Summer Solstice June 21-22

Michigan, steebo777 and bobbyr5 like this.
  3. fishmich

fishmich Apr 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

5th annual microbrew and music festival in traverse city on august 23rd.

4. Marti403

Marti403 Jul 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Second the Brewer's Guild Summer Beer Festival and the Kuhnhenn's Summer Solstice.

5. tommyz

tommyz May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

6. psykosis

psykosis May 21, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

ShortsFest Aug 3rd in Elk Rapids

FoundersFest should be coming up soon.

MBG and Summer Solstice as well.

7. tommyz

Beer Trader

8. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I highly advise NOT going to this fest. There's a long story behind it, but basically it is run by a promoter who swindled Camp Casey (charity for kids with cancer) out of some money last year when the promoter ran it for them. As soon as the promoter found out the Camp Casey Summer Beer Fest is Saturday June 22nd they scrambled to do the Campus Martius Summer Beer Fest just to spite Camp Casey.

So, to support a great charity and a much better beer event all around (the Kuhnhenns will have at least 5 solid taps, one being Raspberry Eisbock) hit up the Camp Casey Summer Beer Fest in Royal Oak (I'll be pouring too)!
    http://wildwestbeerfest.com/
    [​IMG]

Spartan213 and HopHeadHerman like this.
  9. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Good to know. Do you know if they're releasing a full beer list prior to the event?

10. steebo777

I'm not sure but will check.

11. tommyz

Beer Trader

Wish I knew that before I posted it...Wish I could also delete that post now...Thanks for the info

12. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Thanks for the info.
    But dang, why couldn't these all be on different weekends. While the Solstice sounds awesome, I am very curious about the WildWestBeerFest.

13. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Shorts Tap Takeover on the shores of Lake Superior on July 3rd and running into the 4th. At least 16 beers, possibly more.
    Eagle River, MI.

steebo777 likes this.
  14. chrisbokmuller

chrisbokmuller Sep 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I just realized that Summer Solstice (Sat.) and Founder's Fest are on the same day. Looks like I have to take that Friday off of work.

15. steebo777

Seriously, they need to schedule these all different weekends. I am super bummed I can't hit Founders Fest :(

16. MichPaul

MichPaul Jan 28, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm so hoping that it works out and I can make it to the Summer Solstice this year. It would be my first time making it to Kuhnhenn. My family leaves for Japan the following Sunday. Anyone have an extra dog house, cause I will probably be living in one after this...

17. TheGoof

TheGoof Apr 10, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Not a festival, but Shakespeare's Pub in Kalamazoo has a big anniversary party on July 19th every year where they have 40+ new-to-Kalamazoo beers on tap. A lot of them are out-of-state craft beers that BAs have all probably had before, but a lot are also brews from in-state that are one-offs made only for the event (or made for the first time for the event), e.g. New Holland made a Raspberry Dragons Milk last year and Arbor made a Garam Masala Pale Ale (which had been made only once for draft at Corner and once for a party at Ashley's). I'll post the tap list once it gets posted in the weeks leading up to July 19.

18. HopHeadHerman

HopHeadHerman Feb 9, 2009 Michigan

Michigan Summer Beer Fest
    Suds on the Shore
    Shakespeare's Anny Party.
    Short's Fest

alelover, TheGoof and steebo777 like this.
  19. jeffdill

jeffdill Apr 26, 2012 Washington

Anyone been to Kuhnhenn Summer Solstice before? What's it like? Is it like Dark Lord Day (outside beers allowed and encouraged) or just Kuhnhenn brews? Lots of taps? I'm planning on going this year.

20. steebo777

Their FB page has great info, also a thread here about last year's. It is nothing like DLD and you can not bring any outside beers. This is the flyer:
    [​IMG]

21. founder26

founder26 Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

you are going man, and you can always crash at my place for a day or 2 :D

MichPaul likes this.
  22. MichPaul

MichPaul Jan 28, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ha ha ha! Yeah, the aftermath may warrant it...

23. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

My first thought, but then I thought "why would they care about people being torn between events?"
    Ah well.

24. Bryan

Bryan Feb 29, 2012 Michigan

Last year was very relaxed. Walked in around 3pm and got a table no problem. DLD has at least 6,000 people; Kuhnhenn might fit 200 people. It's not a crazy event by any stretch. I think they only released meads last year.

25. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

You can get a good dose of festival events info here: http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe