Any you youngsters grow up drinking craft beer before AALs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,153) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

They should have spelled it Who Garden. :wink:

2. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (759) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I don't recall the exact date I started to enjoy IPA's but it took me a solid two years to appreciate them. Probably 10 to 12 years ago.

PapaGoose03, GreenBayBA and Pinz412 like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,499) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My first bottle of Valley Forge beer was from a case purchased by my brother's best friend (Tim) and it cost him less than 4 bucks for a case of 16 ounce bottles (Brewer's Outlet - Woodlyn, PA). I was helping Tim out on a business venture and he 'rewarded' me with this bottle of inexpensive beer even though I was waaay underage.:flushed:

Cheers!

P.S. I live about 2 miles away (as the crow flies) from the old Valley Forge brewery (Norristown, PA). That brewery was once called the Adam Scheidt Brewing Co. before Schmidt's bought the facility. The brewery building is now an office building.

[​IMG]

dukeandduke, Ranbot, eppCOS and 6 others like this.
  4. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (165) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm pretty sure of the accent part. I have family in Bayonne and there's a sizable eastern European population there that own small delis and beer spots. Nevertheless, Magic Cat is pretty hilarious.

GreenBayBA and TongoRad like this.
  5. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (387) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I can't imagine drinking nothing but AAL for years, let alone one brand. Even feeling like I missed the bus, with how many 80s and 90s breweries shut down, or more traditional styles brewed, having to travel and search would suck.

Junior, nc41 and GreenBayBA like this.
  6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,744) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm still not getting the Hearts one, unless it's supposed to be Harp.

Speaking of those Dortmund brews, I wish I was more able to appreciate the Dortmunder Ritter and Union when they were commonly available. Back then I tended to compare stuff like that to a Pilsner, and hoppy ones at that.

Nowadays DAB is fine, but I just use it as a budget beer for parties and such.

7. Bitterbill

Society Trader

A little DAB would do me but there's none around my locale. :slight_frown:

8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,407) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The good old days, we were 16 going into bars when it was 2, as long as you had money and didn’t cause trouble or very loud they served you. Those really were the days, if you were a big shot you had Lowerbrau when it was an import, or Becks, or Heineken. I still get a touch of nostalgia, especially for the old Michelob bottles.

9. nc41

Society Trader

Haven’t seen that one in literally forever, what was the local AAL of choice in the area back in the day.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

Society

That was before my time. The only Lowenbrau I had was brewed by Miller but to be honest I likely did not know that beer was non-German brewed at the time.

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I believe that there was a short time when German brewed Lowenbrau was imported after Miller stopped contract brewing it. I may be wrong but I think that the last time I drank it was when it was a German import.

Edit: It was also contract brewed by Labatt, which I thought was a superior version vs the Miller one.

#51 Bitterbill, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    JackHorzempa and TongoRad like this.
  12. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,151) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I’m 34. My first beer was a Coors Extra Gold me and my friend swiped from his Dad. I miss that stuff.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,943) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I would love to taste Extra Gold again just for nostalgia. Extra Gold Labatts Blue and Molson Golden were my 3 go-to favorite high school party beers. Once I got to college, we went cheaper into Keystone, Natty Bo and Natural light as out staples but Maybe once or twice a semester I would splurge for some 6pack German import I couldn’t pronounce just to try something new (and thinking it would make me look more sophisticated for the ladies....I was a fool, what can I say).

tzieser, Bitterbill and eppCOS like this.
  14. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (238) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am not huge fan of my former step dad for a variety of reasons, but I did enjoy the few harpoon Ipas I snuck from him back in the mid 1990s. My dad also had good taste in beer and the homebrew we made together was my first legal beer I had in the USA, but most of the stuff I drank in college were Lone Star and Shiner Bock or whatever was in the keg, or on draft special. I was fortunate to spend an exchange semester in Montreal and the favorable exchange rate helped me taste a fair amount of Unibroque. That and we had a pub in my dorm that served 1 dollar Molson Canadians!

Ranbot, Premo88 and Pinz412 like this.
  15. davlo

davlo Initiate (41) Feb 11, 2020 Rhode Island

Stupid question from the new guy, but what does AAL stand for?

16. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,908) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

This thread could've been closed after post No. 2.

Sorry for repeating what's likely been said, but I'm done in this one. My brain can't compute Zombie Dust before Bud despite the logical obviousness that scenarios like it have happened over and over and over for the youngsters.

As you were ...

PapaGoose03 and ovaltine like this.
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,989) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

18. Premo88

Society

American adjunct lager

PapaGoose03 and davlo like this.
  19. Premo88

Society

It's a mix of things, and cultural is one of them. But some of it is rural (let's pretend "cultural" and "rural" are different for a bit). If you lived in the sticks/boonies/country in the 1970s/80s, you likely had no access to anything but an AAL.

I saw you nailed this point later in the thread and not surprisingly. You're a smart chap. But I'll throw in my $0.02 just for Ss and Gs.

We'd have to look at distribution facts/statistics in specific areas to determine access to imports/non-AAL brews to get at the heart of the matter. Growing up about 70 miles south of Houston in El Campo (population 15,000 at the time), all I saw were AALs because of both cultural and rural reasons in the late 1970s/1980s. But its not 100% rural because people from El Campo drove to Houston all the time in 1978-88, and any of those people could've driven the 70 miles north and found Weihenstephaner and Samuel Smith beers, probably Young's and Fuller's and maybe some Belgian imports. Who knows what else?

Still, my point: There's almost no chance a non-AAL existed in the wild in El Campo, TX in 1978 (meaning rural over cultural wins*). Surely Guiness made it to El Campo at some point, but I'd love to see a time lapse on a sixer of stout hanging out at that the H-E-B grocery store there the first time it got stocked. The layer of dust might've reached an inch.

*Cultural still may top rural here because the people in charge of distribution knew the culture and knew there's no way a non-AAL is going to move off the shelves out here in BFE.

Bottom line: My bet is the city folk drank non-AALs before the hicks in the sticks. Only stands to reason.

JackHorzempa and TongoRad like this.
  20. davlo

davlo Initiate (41) Feb 11, 2020 Rhode Island

Premo88 likes this.
  21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Or head the other direction down to Victoria, because...
    [​IMG]

:wink:...but, yeah, what was available to retailers via local wholesale distributors did not always mean those beers were sold everywhere. (Heck, around that same time I owned a store with a beer license in upstate NY just 25 miles or so from the border and I didn't carry ANY imports, even the Canadian brands, 'cause they wouldn't sell. But I did carry at least one non-AAL - Ballantine Ale - "Gee, who drank that in a poor rural county...:thinking_face:" ).

@TongoRad - How's that one. No misspellings, but they've got beer from both Germany and Bavaria!

22. Premo88

Society

:scream::scream::scream:

That ad weirds me out way more than learning that some young punk grew up drinking world-class APAs before ever knowing the taste of Bud.

The Victoria Advocate?!? Your voodoo knows no ends!

That's crazy that in 1979 a bottle shop in Victoria, TX, sold ANYTHING from Belgium or England or a couple of those other countries. Trying to picture a bunch of rice farmers in Wharton County drinking English beer around a pickup truck tailgate in 1979 ... seriously, I can't imagine what they'd even think of an English beer. Maybe the traditional cliche of it being flat and warm. And beer from Belgium? WTF?!? Do you cook with that or drink it in shots or what?

Wow. Count me as stunned.

23. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (799) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I was told the Dab dark is no longer imported to the USA, the similar replacement is Wolters, not as tasty for me but not bad for $18 a case. Not sure if the green cans of Dab are still around.

Enjoy

24. Giantspace

I loved those rubenesque bottles. Remember the urban myth that you would get a free beer if you could pull that half circle at the bottom of the label up to the ribbon w/o ripping it off?

Enjoy

nc41, TongoRad and Premo88 like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

A year ago Randy (@Ranbot) reported he bought some DAB Dark:

“DAB Dark is really tasty and easy on the wallet too. A case of DAB 16-oz cans is $24 where I am.”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/best-european-lager.608486/page-3#post-6424727

Cheers!

KentT, Bitterbill and Premo88 like this.
  26. Giantspace

Howdy Jack,

Yup. I was buying it then too. Only about six to seven months ago it disappeared, at least in he Philly area. Two different beer distributors told me it was no longer available and offered Wolters as a very similar beer.

Enjoy

Ranbot, JackHorzempa and Premo88 like this.
  27. nc41

Society Trader

That was pretty much about the way it was in the 70s, it’s funny now that guys were arguing over what was better Miller or Budweiser. When you wanted something a little different maybe Labatts, Heineken, maybe Whitbread or something along that line. I never was bored, felt deprived, or gave it much thought. But there’s still a very large majority of beer drinkers who still do this, it’s Budweiser only, or Bud Light, they’ve never heard of half the beers we talk about here, nor do they care.

Premo88, thesherrybomber and ovaltine like this.
  28. jesskidden

Society Trader

(Uh-oh, that's my "Bat Signal" to break out my copy/paste list of my favorite non-AAL's of the late 1970s era)....

Ballantine XXX Ale, Ballantine India Pale Ale, Ballantine Brewers Gold Ale, Ballantine Porter, Krueger Old Surrey Porter, McSorley’s Cream Ale, Lord Chesterfield Ale, Black Horse Ale (Trenton and Koch), Rainier Ale, Pickwick Ale, Croft Ale, Genesee 12 Horse Ale, Schaefer Cream Ale, Schoenling Cream Ale (Little King’s), Carling Red Cap Ale, Pabst’s Old Tankard Ale, Liebotschaner Cream Ale, Gibbons Ale, Kodiak Cream Ale, Tiger Head Ale, Neuweiler Premium Ale, 20th Century Ale, Utica Club Cream Ale, Utica Club Sparkling Ale, Yuengling Porter, Nueweiler India Pale Ale, Nueweiler Cream Ale, Stegmaier Porter, Narragansett Porter, Nueweiler Porter, Narragansett Bavarian, Koch Jubilee Porter, Boarshead Stout, Koch Holiday Beer, Matt Holiday Beer, Augsburger Dark, Augsburger Bock, Prior Double Dark, Geyer Bros. Dark, Old Chicago Dark, Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor, Christian Moerlein, Hudepohl Hofbrau Deutschlager, Schaefer Braunslager and many seasonal bocks and draught-only dark beers.

29. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,027) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

My first beer was a Bud Light, but my second through twenty-ish were craft beers.

Tried the Bud Light after a wedding and didn't like it. Didn't even finish my half pour. A week later, I found myself in Fort Collins, CO on a rainy day - so we toured New Belgium after having lunch at Coopersmith's. I had lots of samples at both. Since then, it's pretty much been all craft beer for me.

30. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (848) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

I grew up sneaking Coors Light from the fridge in the garage...didn't get into Craft beer until I was about 17.

Premo88 likes this.
  31. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

How many of those are still around? I fear the majority were also regional? It sounds like we might have had our own dying "craft" scene long before Bud became king!

32. thesherrybomber

Society Trader

I just had Budweiser for the first time this year, and I'm 31. Really made me question why people like my dad insist on Bud Light, as it was pretty damn watery to me already.

33. Pinz412

Pinz412 Initiate (165) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yuengling definitely still makes Porter and Lord Chesterfield Ale.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  34. nc41

Society Trader

Your in Cali, fresh Pivo would be my go to for the style.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  35. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,170) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

One of the over-40 outliers. Not many IPAs at the time, the most prevalent in my area were ESB (Red Hook), Amber (Alaskan, Mac n Jack’s), Pale Ale (Pike, Hales), Fruit Beer (Pyramid, Thomas Kemper) and not-really-Hefeweizen (Widmer, Pyramid). In college, some guys only went for whatever was cheapest but more than half of them mixed between that and “microbrews”.

More about the time and place than because I was wise beyond my years.

36. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Disciple (333) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana
    Society

Had a few sips of AALs before craft, but definitely didn’t drink them regularly. I just thought I didn’t like beer (and focused on cider) until I had an Osiris Pale Ale from Sun King. I would say I started with craft beer, but that probably isn’t technically true.

After that, I started drinking some AALs, but I had to get a taste for hoppy beer before I could palate them.

37. nc41

Society Trader

Times change, when I was 16 the drinking age was 21, when I was 18 they changed it to 19 I think in NJ, but I used my draft card as an ID, and they never took a second look. Half the fun was being underage and trying to score beer or Vodka. I miss those days.

Who here had a draft card? Back in the day you had to register with Selective Service. I was the first generation on an all volunteer Marine Corps, I think for better, if you were drafted back in the day for the most part they put a rifle in your hands for two year and sent you to Nam as fast as they could.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  38. Hops_n_Malts

Hops_n_Malts Initiate (36) Jun 14, 2019 Kentucky

My first beer was a non-refrigerated Bud Light. I nearly puked.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  39. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (999) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Even in the late 60's there were a number of non AAL's that could be found. Most were imports from Europe. There were some non AAL domestics Ballantine XXX and IPA were the best known, there were other but they did not sell well at least in North NJ.

TongoRad and Bitterbill like this.
  40. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (65) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Welcome to BA.

Adjunct American Lager.

davlo likes this.