Anybody know the laws regarding CA beers in WA

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Beernerdz, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beernerdz

Beernerdz Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2011 California

If anyone knows the law(s) regarding bringing in beer from San Diego for a one day event in Seattle I'd greatly appreciate it. I believe it can be done but haven't received a concrete answer. Also would like to host an event featuring beers from Seattle in San Diego so if you know anything about that I'd appreciate any info. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

What kind of event? If you're just having friends over then no one will care.

3. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

You will be fine. If you are selling them you will need a WA license, otherwise there is no foul in transporting beer for consumption.

4. djbreezy

djbreezy Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Washington

I think you'll be okay. We have medical cannabis too...

Boz12 likes this.
  5. Beernerdz

I guess I should have been more specific. The plan is to have a blind tasting featuring San Diego based breweries. We'd use 5 gallon kegs and it would be hosted at a beer centric venue in Seattle. Tickets would be sold. So technically the beer would be sold. Can I obtain a WA license for a one time event featuring out of state beers?

6. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

I don't know, but the important thing is where and when can I buy a ticket? Alpine?

7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

AFAIK (and that's not much), yes you'll need a license. I believe in the eyes of the LCB, you'll basically be running a bar for one day. Your servers might need their alcohol training, and you'll probably need insurance. If you rent a venue, they could help you with a lot of that. To sell beer in the state, the beer has to be posted to (by?) the LCB as being approved (paid the taxes). And there are federal regulations about transporting alcohol across state lines. Again, AFAIK, you'd have to use the 3-tier system to stay legal. Get the breweries your interested in to sell the beer to a local distributor (who could help with the transportation issues), who would sell it to you. Good luck, and yes, I'm interested in getting a ticket as well, let me know.

8. tozerm

tozerm Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2005 Washington

So many variables here...if we are talking some sort of wholesale transaction... yes, licenses and all that stuff are required to be legal. You even have to have the beer registered with the state after getting the approval from the TTB. beertunes, thanks to Costco there are no more posting requirements you just have to register the product, if new, once with the state. I usually just email them a copy of the TTB approval and they file it..

My suggestions.. either go completely under the radar and avoid attracting any unwanted attention... OR... go completely legit and follow every rule, maybe selecting beers that already have been approved by the State. Breweries will know if they have Certificates of Approval in Washington or not... work backwards

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  9. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

Ok, please be even more specific re: "beer-centric venue". This will be at a bar? Beer fest? Bottleshop? A public park? If it is at the first three, have the venue sell the tickets, they have the license (ie they are selling the event, not the beer if ya get what I mean, unless they already sell beer from the tap in which case it's all kosher), if at the last one, you need to go through proper channels of approval at the SLB.

10. djbreezy

djbreezy Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Washington

11. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks, that's what I was getting at, just was unsure of the terminology.

12. Beernerdz

First off thank you all for your willingness to share your knowledge and interest already in the event :slight_smile: and yes Alpine would be one of the breweries if this happens! Most likely, it will be held at a bar that already has a beer/liquor license and taps. Once the kegs are gone that will be it. The breweries I plan to use can't make enough to keep up with demand in San Diego so it's not going to be an ongoing sale but a one day event (not sure if a one time event makes a difference). I am going to call the LCB, thanks for that link. I am hoping that if it's a one time deal the LCB just wants it registered and taxes paid. If this extra bit of information helps please keep sending your thoughts and ideas on how to make this event happen.

13. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And don't forget, the breweries are going to want their cooperage back. If you're planning on going to Cali, throwing a bunch of kegs into the back of your truck and bringing them home, you'll need to plan on a second round trip to get the empties back. And you'll be carrying untaxed alcohol across state lines. There are federal laws about that.

Your best bet is to probably keep it low key. Find somebody with a large enough house, yard, barn, whatever and have 40-50 people over. You could take Allegiant Air to SD for cheap, rent a U-Haul van, load it with 1/6 barrels on your way back North and then reverse the process afterwards. Good luck and have fun!

14. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Kegs of Alpine beer being brought right to my own back yard... it's turning out to be not such a shitty day after all.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.