Anyone else get skull-crushing headaches from sours?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by todisht, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todisht

todisht Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2011 Alabama

They last two times I've tried sours I've ended up with terrible headaches. I know what you're thinking and no, it wasn't over indulgence. They were just small pours either in line at an event or at a tasting party.

2. azorie

azorie Champion (884) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I never any issues with true Belgian sours. Since I do not drink any American ones. Still how a small taste can give you that is a good question. But I ask this if your were at a tasting party why do you think this one "style" did it?

So unless you tried them alone, you will never know for sure.

3. todisht

todisht Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2011 Alabama

I guess I don't know for sure, which is kinda why I posted the question. Sours were the common denominator at the two events so I was leaning towards that.

4. Jason

Jason Founder (8,483) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Sours? As in what? That is being pretty damn broad ... Berliner Weissbier? :wink:

Great job on assuming it is sours as well, what else did you drink? What was your sodium intake? Did you drink enough water? Did you eat a banana that day? How much sleep did you get? Was it a full moon that night?

5. output01x

output01x Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Ohio

Headaches? No. Heartburn? Yes.
    A few days back I had a RR Supplication and Consecration. Then I had a Mr. Hero Romanburger. It took 3 days and a dozen Tums to get over that heartburn. Totally worth it.

todisht likes this.
  6. azorie

azorie Champion (884) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

details are always needed, the more info you give, the easier it is for us health care detectives to find you a cure over the forums .....:rolling_eyes:

Some folks just cannot drink, or drink so much they blackout on what caused it.:wink:

In all serious, you may not can drink beer do to an allergy or something.

7. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

There are only two beers which have on more than one occasion given me brutal headaches (and not a result of overi imbibng) - they are Victory Golden Monkey and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I'm not overly fond of either of these, so it's not something I will repeat.

Never got a headache from a sour.

8. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Sours can certainly be a one-way ticket to heartburn city, but it doesn't make much sense why they'd cause a brutal headache.

9. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (2,716) Nov 16, 2009 California

I can't say I have had a headache from Sours or most beers w/o over indulgence or lack of water. I will say Bud Light Platinum wrecked my head for about six hours.

Cheers!

10. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,599) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

No, and thank goodness for that.

11. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Michigan

How about Diarrhea? My stomach was grumbling really bad after drinking a supplication yesterday...and it followed with a couple trips to the toilet

12. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Aspirant (221) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Never had a headache from drinking a sour.

13. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Sours always leave me with a real sour taste in my mouth.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  14. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

event one time, tasting party the other... how many other beers did you try? Could it have been any of those? Dehydration? Empty stomach?

15. emagdnim13

emagdnim13 Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2011 Illinois

I go to tastings at a friend's house, and she cannot drink the dregs from any sort of sour, so we have to be careful not to disturb the bottle as we pass it around and pour it. She says they give her in incredibly bad headaches...

16. alfrantzell

alfrantzell Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2005 California

I sustain long, lingering erections.

17. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

Beatification made my jaw ache while I was drinking it.

18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

I think you're supposed to contact your doctor about that. It's in the fine print.

19. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,205) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

never a headache , only mouth puckering, taste bud tongue twisting goodness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.