Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Anyone had a 1999 JW Lees recently

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by CruisaC, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CruisaC

CruisaC Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Oldest I've ever had was 2001 and that was a couple of years ago. Picked up a couple of '99s this week and curious how they're drinking. It will be the oldest beer I've drank but it seems like a good one to practice with.

2. Steasy66

Steasy66 Disciple (335) Feb 23, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

fan-effing-tastic

3. grumpy

grumpy Disciple (368) May 24, 2005 Missouri

As a matter of fact, just last Saturday. Had 1999 (bottle), 2005 (bottle), and 2010 (tap) side by side. 1999 was the clear winner. That said, I reallly think '99 may be optimal right now, if not starting to head downhill. Hard to say, as I had not opened one in a long time, but based on the current flavor profile, I can't see how it could improve.

4. CruisaC

CruisaC Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

thanks for the input; I should be cracking one of my two bottles soon :slight_smile:

5. skycracksopen

skycracksopen Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Colorado

'99 is my least favorite of the older ones, to be honest.

It's still a great beer and miles better than any Lees Harvest with less than 5 years on it, but in the '98-'03 vertical I did recently, the '99 was my least favorite. And it wasn't specific to the bottle, because I've had it 3 or 4 times over the years.

But like I said, it is still delicious and it could very well be at its peak right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.