Anyone have a Congress St clone recipe??

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Robtobfest, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (325) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Anyone take a stab at this? Can't find anything . I haven't contacted Trillium. The nose on this beer is about as perfect as they come. Antone at least know the hop bill?

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Zealot (556) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Garrett101488 likes this.
  3. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (113) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  4. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

5. JCTetreault

JCTetreault Initiate (162) Mar 19, 2008 Massachusetts

Save all the galaxy you can scrounge up for the dry hop :wink:

6. Robtobfest

Thanks for the replies! So maybe a 4 or 5 to one ratio galaxy to colombus at flame out? All galaxy dry hop?

7. JCTetreault

We started w some galaxy in flameout, since moved it all to dry hop. rough equivalent to 6oz/5 gallons, yielding ~a little over 4 gallons.

thatche2, chipawayboy, Horbar and 3 others like this.
  8. JCTetreault

Oh and about 1.5oz columbus in dry hop too

9. Robtobfest

Ok. Dry hop ...check! Grist...check! Still confused on hop schedule.

10. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (191) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

If I was to guess, I would say get at least 80% of your bittering from a FWH or 60 min dose of Columbus only. Then only 1-2 oz of total hops at FO. Maybe 1.5 oz Galaxy and 0.5 oz Columbus at FO. Then the 7.5 total oz of dry hops in two stages. First stage prior to primary finishing up and second dose in the keg.

JC gave me some very detailed advice on dry hopping I put in a thread a couple of weeks ago.

11. Robtobfest

Thanks. Never would have guss we d that little hops at flameout.

MLage likes this.
  12. Robtobfest

So u r saying only a FWH and a bit at flameout. Nothing in between and then huge dry hop?

13. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (191) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Yes. I have been doing that technique of late and liking the results a lot. The advice JC gave me that I have not tried just yet (haven't brewed since) was to move most of my flameout/whirlpool hops to the dry hop stage. I was doing anywhere from 5 to 7 oz at flameout. I'll probably try 2-3 oz at most on the next one. I really like Columbus for bittering. It has a great bite to it that does not linger too long.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  14. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (458) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

My recipe had exactly 3:1 Galaxy:Columbus throughout. It turned out nice but CSIPA is more dank. Given that JC says all the Galaxy is in the dry hop I think that would explain a lot. Also my turned out a tad lighter in color. When I get t work tomorrow I'll grab my notes

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  15. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (96) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

JC has said 'light crystal' as stated above. Can anyone guess the amount; is it L40, L 60? I thought I hated any crystal malt in IPA's but I love Congress Street, so I guess I should stop thinking that.

NickDrista likes this.
  16. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

I made an IPA using JC's notes on hops and frost a few weeks ago. Here they are side by side. Congress on the left:

[​IMG]

I used C20 in mine

17. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (113) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

What yeast strain?

18. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

19. jlordi12

I used c20 .5# for 5.5 gallon batch. It was lighter than CSIPA. I'd use 60 next time in the same amount. The beer came out dry I used wlp644 1.065 > 1.010 7.2ABV Full grain bill below.

12 81% 2-Row Brewer's Malt, Briess 37
    1 7% Flaked Wheat 35
    0.5 3% Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 35
    0.75 5% Sucrose (Table Sugar) 46
    0.5 3% Carapils 30

20. DallasGreg

DallasGreg Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, or if I'm overlooking something being too new to the homebrew scene - does someone please have the exact hop schedule and amounts for this bill? Or could kindly recommend something?

21. jamdugan

jamdugan Initiate (86) Mar 30, 2006 Oregon
    Trader

They don't use an American yeast, but Conan works pretty well to get that full body & cloudy color.

koopa likes this.
  22. ajaylock

ajaylock Initiate (134) Nov 27, 2012 Texas
    Trader

To anyone that's tried this, a few questions:

- What IBUs are you targeting with your bitterness addition? FWH or at the start of the boil?
    - 60 min boil?

23. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I haven't tried to clone Congress Street, but love the hop schedule provided by @JCTetreault. Congress Street and Tree House Green, which seem cut from the same cloth are my two favorite IPAs in Massachusetts and two of my favorites period. 7-8 percent alcohol is a flavor sweet spot without getting too alcohol forward for me. My perfect IPA would be slightly less malty than Congress Street and I adjust my malt bill accordingly.

JC posted in this thread;

I've taken that to be .75 oz Columbus and 3 ounces Galaxy in the first dry hop in primary. Then keg hop with another .75 oz Columbus and 3 ounces Galaxy. This and similar combinations have come out amazingly for me.

I target 10 BU per percent alcohol so 72 IBUs for their listed ABV of 7.2%, I actually usually shoot for 7.5% with 75 IBUs.

RuckusZ28, mbbransc and ajaylock like this.
  24. JCTetreault

We actually just do a single dry hop charge for congress street. Cheers, JC

25. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Disciple (394) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

How long before you distribute to IL? I want to taste the hype and don't trade anymore. Thanks for sharing your brewing experience with homebrewers.

RobNewton and ChrisMyhre like this.
  26. JCTetreault

Haha, well, to be honest, I think it would be quite a long time, if ever really. We don't really envision broad/national distro.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  27. Brew_Betty

This is a very good way to keep the ratings high. I'm sure you make very good beer. Maybe someday I will get to try it while traveling? It seems like the Shelton Bros should be knocking on your door any day now. We can only hope.

28. JCTetreault

Sometimes bigger is just...bigger. at a certain size, we would start to lose the perspective of the premise under which we started and continue to see the brewery's future. High ratings sure are nice, but they certainly don't factor in to the business or creative decisions we make. The good news is there are increasingly more and more very incredible beers accessible just about every part of the country so there shouldn't be the feeling that you are missing out on any specific one from some other place.

29. Shawn_Sins

Shawn_Sins Initiate (60) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia

For the hop additions making a 5 gallon batch. I understand there is about 1.2oz galaxy and .3 oz columbus in dry hop. HOW MUCH, WHAT HOPS should be added during boil? and WHEN should they be added? what about hops at flame-out? thank you

30. mbbransc

mbbransc Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2009 North Carolina

Not Congress St, but the latest BYO mag has a recipe for Fort Point.

1.060 OG
    1.013 FG
    IBU = 45
    SRM = 5

10.0# 2-Row
    1.5 # wheat
    12oz dextrine
    4 oz British crystal 22°L
    0.25oz Columbus @ 60'
    0.75 Columbus @ 10'
    2oz Columbus hop stand @ 180° for 30'
    4oz Citra dry hop
    1oz Columbus dry hop
    WLP007/WY1098/VT IPA Yeast @ 68°. Dry hop as krausen begins falling (day 4-5).

31. Robtobfest

That's not enough dry hop for this. Try at least tripling that!

32. Robtobfest

Also, when I brewed this I targeted about 20 ibu from the 20 min addition of Columbus. Did a FWH for about 20 ibu and got the rest from flame out additions at 160 degrees. Huge galaxy dry hop with some Colombus. I think it was about 7 oz of Galaxy and 1.5 oz of Colombus. Came out awesome .

33. fistfight

fistfight Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I thought the same thing at first, but then I realized he was listing the dry hop amounts per gallon of wort. At least I assume he is. So that would equate to 6 oz Galaxy, 1.5 oz Columbus.

I wasn't trying to make a Congress Street clone, per se, but I did steal the basic hopping schedule discussed in this thread last month. 4.5 oz Columbus total in the boil, most at flame out. I did FWH the beer, but probably wouldn't bother if I did it again. I'd try to get about half of my IBUs from a 20 minute addition and then the rest from flame out, so some added at 0 minutes as I cool it to ~180 and then some more in a hop stand. I also split the dry hop into two sections: 3 oz galaxy during fermentation (day 4 I think), 3oz galaxy and 1.5 oz columbus in the keg.

This all resulted in the best IPA I've made to date.

RobNewton and ChrisMyhre like this.
  34. hardwin

hardwin Initiate (54) Nov 10, 2010 Massachusetts

Attempted recently thx to this thread:

10 # 2-row
    3 # white wheat
    0.25 # 40L crystal
    0.25 # carapils
    0.5 # TJs turbinado sugar

3 oz Chinook (leaf) @ 60 min
    US-05 (1x, rehydrated)
    OG 1.068

Dry hops:
    6 oz Galaxy (pellets)
    2 oz Citra (pellets)
    2 oz Chinook (leaf)

Enjoying this fresh off the keg (kegged last week), nose is < Congress St, flavor/body is close imo. Thx JC for your input!

MachIPA, MA_hops and ChrisMyhre like this.
  35. Lumber_Zach

Lumber_Zach Initiate (92) Apr 14, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

According to JC, the only hops used during the boil is Columbus. Does anyone have a good hop schedule for the boil? I'm missing this part. Once I have it figured out, I'll be brewing.

BeerDunson and ChrisMyhre like this.
  36. JTIPA

JTIPA Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Massachusetts

I know this is an older post but seems to be the only place I can find information. I recently brewed the Citra version of Double Dry Hopped Trillium Fort Point clone, one of my favorite beers around. It seems you guys have been using about 6 oz of dry hops (per JC'S instructions) with the standard congress St recipe. My question is how many ounces of dry hops do you think are in DDHFP. I'm thinking 3 oz of Citra as kruassen falls and then 5 more Oz after a couple days. Does that sound ok?

37. Brew_Betty

An 8oz Citra dry hop can be smelt from across the room.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  38. JTIPA

JTIPA Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Massachusetts

Haha I know, it's does sound ridiculous reading it back. The regular Fort Point recipe calls for 4 ounces of dry hops though, and the DDHFP version has much more pronounced hop haze and flavor. Maybe I'll try 6oz Citra and 1 oz Columbus

MA_hops likes this.
  39. jlordi12

I just made the regular clone waiting for it to carb up a bit more, but it is very promising. Good luck!

MA_hops likes this.
  40. HelpMeBloody

HelpMeBloody Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Rhode Island

@JCTetreault What would you approximate the total weight in hops being for a 5 gallon batch?