Anyone have any info on new MN growler language?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by brewnic, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brewnic

brewnic Aspirant (255) Oct 7, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Looking at Northgate's website they mentioned

"Also, with the new growler language you can now fill other folks growlers if you choose to. The language is specific though that it has to come off the tap, at the time of purchase."

I know this would not work for breweries that prefill growlers,such as Town Hall and Dangerous Man, but I had not hear of any changes of this recently or any other breweries that where making this switch. Does any MN BA have more information on this?

http://northgatebrew.com/blog/2014/05/12/growler-announcement/

2. brewnic

Trader

Answered my own question should have read elsewhere.

3. McRyan

McRyan Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2012 Minnesota

God forbid you try to get a growler filled at "peak times" I don't see that being a problem at Northgate's new location anyways.

psychotia likes this.
  4. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I think this change is great. I will be curious to see how many places will do this now. At least it will be their decision one way or another and not something dictated by some arcane regulation.

5. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (345) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

Here's the Growler change text from the bill. (I think...)

From https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/te...ion=latest&session_number=0&session_year=2014

The underlined bits are the changes.

6. MNMike

MNMike Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Minnesota

Good change - I wonder if Steel Toe will opt for this customer freedom? I haven't bought a growler there yet because I don't want another separate labelled growler in addition to the ones I already have - but if I can refill my Town Hall growler at Steel Toe, they'll be getting some more $ from me...

I also appreciate the desire for consistent branding though. You take a TH growler with ST Size 7 in it to a party, and a number of people may assume they're drinking a TH beer and ST potentially loses out on some visual marketing.

7. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Poo-Bah (1,773) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I typically ask the person what is in the growler, problem solved.:stuck_out_tongue:

GeezLynn likes this.
  8. TheBeerDrinker

TheBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2014 Minnesota

So if I am reading this right... Town Hall will not be able to sell prefilled growlers? All growlers will have to be filled at the tap at the time of sale?

Also just to answer a question that seems to have been answered differently many times, does town hall have the great growler filling machines that fill the growler with CO2 prior to filling and keep oxygen out of the growler like places like Funky Buddha?

9. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Minnesota

From my understanding they still can. However, if you bring a non brewery growler to a brewery that pre-fills, they must fill directly off the tap, which most likely wont be counter pressured.

10. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (345) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

So, has anyone gotten a non-matching growler filled somewhere yet?

Or for that matter, a 3rd party logo-less growler?

11. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,928) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Will the law also allow 320z growlers?

ToadiesForCody likes this.
  12. theCoder

theCoder Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota

Heh...ironically yes but I have been for some time now at Barley Johns who have had not issues filling any growler for me for the past year and Canal Park Brewing, although I usually just have CPB fill up my beautiful Brauler I bought from them (I usually just bring my Brauler to Barley Johns for filling).

13. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Colorado

People seem to adapt in states where one growler is as good as another growler. Many places don't provide much of a label for which beer is actually in the growler (initials or absent entirely). So you pretty much get used to asking whoever brought the growler what's in it anyway.

14. Spewlander

Spewlander Initiate (90) May 17, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Been living in MN for a couple years now and still getting used to our ridiculous alcohol regulations. Having lived in Oregon and Alaska, we were accustomed to getting our corny kegs filled straight from the breweries. First couple places I called here thought I was crazy. The 'only fill our own growler' thing is nuts. In AK we could get most any vessel filled. I've seen folks walk into a brewpub with empty gallon milk jugs and walk out with beer.

GeezLynn likes this.
  15. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (141) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Do you like your Brauler? I was thinking about ordering one. Thx

16. theCoder

Yes, get one now. It's amazing, the koozy is quite awesome as well. If you ever get Duluth way they're cheaper at Canal Park Brewing than anywhere online. They informed me they're selling them basically at a loss. $50 for the Brauler (first fill free) and $50 for the CO2 recharger, I know both are a little bit more at most places and I think the recharger may be quite a bit more.

If you are a homebrewer they're excellent. I also quite enjoy the wide mouth for easier pouring and filling. Also as mentioned Barley Johns will fill it fine and Stone Tap will as well, but Nova won't fill stainless.

17. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (141) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Thank you very much for the info. I will be in Duluth later this summer & will grab one then!! Also, thanks for the heads up about Nova. That's odd, I guess they don't like not seeing the fill, bummer! Thx again!! Cheers

18. theCoder

NP man, wow I wrote my post with some epic engrish grammar, hadn't finished my first coffee yet.

I plan on hitting Canal Park when I'm up there in 2 weeks to get the CO2 recharger for mine.

You are correct on the Nova, because they can't see it they won't fill it. This one too is technically around 68 or so oz if you fill it to the top. It holds carbonation way better than your avg growler too, I had this full of the oatmeal stout from Gandy Dancer Brewing in South Dakota and forgot about it in my fridge for over a week. Still had a decent carbonation level given they just filled it from the tap.

19. McRyan

McRyan Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2012 Minnesota

What is the story with the growler law? Can breweries fill any glass growler?

20. brewnic

Trader

Yes as long as the growler fill is off of the tap, 64 oz, mark as correctly as stated in the new law and sealed. My recommendation would be that I you know that you want to fill it up call a brewery first to see what their policy is. Many breweries prefill growlers for the day convenience, sanitation, and a host of other reasons. Also most of the labeling required by the law had always been covered by the “brewery only” growler and many have not updated the process to be in line with the law.

Ask make sure they know that you want to bring in outside growlers so that they make a change. I’m sure most newer breweries will be the ones to make this change. Also from what I have seen and heard from the bar tenders most don’t counter pressure fill even if they are prepared ahead of time so it would be the same as filling an outside growler.

McRyan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.