Anyone have any Southampton IRS release info?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RandomBattle, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Initiate (136) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Its almost that time of year. Anyone have any info on the release this year? When, what, etc.

Takeanotherswing likes this.
  2. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (577) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I would also love to know. Never had this before but I've heard so many good things, and I'm a fan of most SH offerings.

Is it usually brewpub only?

3. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Defender (625) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Yea you can only get it at the release in bottles and on draft. However for the next week or two there's usually leftovers of both.

4. RandomBattle

Trader

Found anything yet?

5. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

I'll let you know don't worry

6. BoardwalkBock

Definitely don't want to miss out on this!

7. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,869) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

It was available on draft in two places in Lancaster County PA in recent months.

8. scott27

scott27 Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 Maryland

Not sure about the release, but this does remind me of something I've been wondering about. Did Southampton pull out of MD? Their double wit, quad, and several saisons used to be readily available around here, but I haven't seen any for some time. Really miss the 12...great quad!

-Scott

9. RandomBattle

Trader

Called the other day....girl whom answered, presumably the hostess, said she didn't know of any event going on this weekend. I'm guessing no release party this year then? But it doesn't really affect the restaurant portion of their business so maybe she just wasn't in the know? Anyone have useful info?

10. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (408) Apr 19, 2013 New York

My buddy called as well and person that answered said there will not be a release event this year. I'm not sure if that means it will eventually be available at the brew pub.

11. RandomBattle

Trader

Thats disappointing...

sjjn likes this.
  12. sjjn

sjjn Aspirant (282) Jun 4, 2004 California

I've sent an email and tried to get someone on the phone but probably too early. Anyone hear anything about what their upcoming beer schedule might be? Their website is just awful. Just wondering if it's going to be a silent RIS only release or are they brewing something else like the Scotch and Ice Bock from last year. I guess Phil was the one who liked big release parties.

13. RandomBattle

Trader

I do miss the NY brewery releases of old. Southampton and Captain Lawrence used to be such awesome, fun events. Always got to try great beers and meet new BA's....sigh....

14. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

15. BoardwalkBock

Utterly disappointed. I love the Publick House but very rarely take trips out there. This would have been a good reason!

16. BUICKBILL

BUICKBILL Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New York

17. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Zealot (557) Oct 15, 2008 New York
    Trader

I too really miss the picnic table days at Captain Lawrence as well as the really well run releases at Southampton! It's a shame what has happened to the NY release scene over the last few years.

18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

hmmm....didn't get an alert about your tag

think there is another thread on this but i can't find it. as far as i know, the details are:
    - yes, IRS was brewed this year
    - no, there will be no announced release party where we can all spend the night freezing our butts off arguing if it is okay or not to hang on the porch
    - bottles is still the big murky detail. my best guess (because no one seems to knows for sure) would be that a limited number of bottles will be made and just put up for sale at the publick house. this is what they did with this years' french country xmas ale...they had it on draft and i think they bottled about 10 cases of bottles (which i missed :slight_frown: ). IRS should be on draft at the publick house and potentially a few other spots on the island, when is anyones guess, but tis the season.

i definitely plan on heading out there to get a glass or a few of this years stout when i hear it is up (they posted french country xmas going on draft on their facebook page, but other than that it is rarely updated), but as of now i know of no dates. if anyone cares to join me when i go, hit me up...i'll be looking to go for a long lunch during the week as my office is closer to the publick house than my home.

19. RandomBattle

Trader

Wow man. Thank you for the info and legwork.

cosmicevan likes this.
  20. BoardwalkBock

Good info!

21. cosmicevan

see...I am helpful :wink:

22. BoardwalkBock

Never said you weren't. My original comment was in no way aimed towards you, but I let things get out of hand. Seems there was a bit of miscommunication there. I was wrong and I'm man enough to admit that! Not to mention I had been drinking very early that day to prepare myself for my annual polar bear swim. You need at least a buzz (I had much more than a buzz) to go swimming in 37 degree water when there is ice on the beach. Was extra cold this year!

Cheers!

23. sjjn

sjjn Aspirant (282) Jun 4, 2004 California

hmmm...thanks, cosmicvan. Anyone else get any word? They seem to be completely unresponsive to any of the requests I've seen through social media and have nothing to say when called as well.

24. cosmicevan

that's just it. I think there is nothing to say asks that's why there is no news.

25. RandomBattle

Trader

This shits killing me...

26. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,107) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Hate to break it to ya, but I don’t expect anything big from these fellas for a while; remember when the last brewmaster left? Well I feel like it’s every other year for these guys. Nonetheless, they know what they’re doing, and I’m willing to wait for another pitch perfect product

#26 M-Fox24, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  27. RandomBattle

Trader

I'm hoping/thinking for a silent release. The year Phil left, which was the end of 2012, they didn't have a release party so to speak, instead they did a beer dinner and sold bottles at the end of it. Last year, normal release party. I see what you mean, but I'm pretty sure, in accordance to information people provided, its made and presumably packaged, they just need to put it up for sale.

28. RandomBattle

Trader

IRS is on tap at the Publick house. No word on bottles :-(

BoardwalkBock and 2Xmd like this.
  29. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (408) Apr 19, 2013 New York

2015 or 2014 on tap?

cosmicevan likes this.
  30. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

Way to give their fans a heads up...and redo that damn website!

31. stevefinny

stevefinny Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey

IRS has been on tap in the philly area quite a few times in the last month or so. Not sure which vintage.

32. cosmicevan

AFAIK it is 2014 on tap at the publick house. sick beer and if you can get there, go get some (i know i will), but i wouldn't think that 2014 on tap has anything to do with the 2015 batch being ready...if anything this might be a way to make people stop asking about it? but what do i know...i found out that they had it on tap here.

2Xmd likes this.
  33. BoardwalkBock

Anybody from nassau heading out there tomorrow?

34. maddogg

maddogg Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 New York

Heard from the horses mouth:
    @stevefinny The RIS thats around Philly is from last year 2014. We sent a couple of kegs out that way as a treat for the market.
    Everyone else, RIS on tap at the Publick House is 2014. We had a few kegs laying around and we figured it would be nice with this beautiful cold weather we have been having.
    Concerning the 2015 release. Evan Addario has been brewing the RIS the past 4 or so years, especially for the releases, as well as the rest of the beer coming out of the Publick House, even when Phil was there. Anyways, there will be a silent release at the Publick House this year with RIS, so no official release event planned.
    He will also have up a Winter Rye ale, Winteryzing i believe its called sometime shortly thereafter. But the RIS liquid is in the tanks, hopefully bottling up this weekend or early next week.

35. RandomBattle

Trader

This news is the equivalent of having an itch and then scratching it.

BoardwalkBock likes this.
  36. cosmicevan

huzzah!!!
    thanks for the info!!!

37. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (627) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Southampton had a pairing at Jetty in Long Beach last Thursday and it was part of the dessert course. I know people go crazy for it, but I was really let down. I was more than happy to go home after and have a glass of Barrier Morticia that I have on tap.

Jetty still has the keg of 2014 on tap and I don't imagine it going anywhere quickly.

38. BoardwalkBock

Wow good looks. So funny that I've lived in Long Beach my entire life and still have never been in that place. It just reminds me of the old Tiki Bar whose special was warm budweiser.

Will have to head down there later!

maddogg likes this.
  39. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (627) Jan 16, 2013 New York

It's actually pretty nice, they completely renovated twice since the Tiki days. They have some other great beers on tap right now, but I'd rather not call those out since I want more for me. :wink:

BoardwalkBock likes this.
  40. RandomBattle

Trader

Their bar says Long Beach, their prices say NYC...

cosmicevan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.