Anyone have experience aging Sierra Nevada Hoptimum?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by LostTraveler, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

Anyone have experience aging Sierra Nevada Hoptimum? I see they put a very large bottle year on the neck? I just picked up a 4-pack today and cant wait to crack into it tonight.

2. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

since this is calling for opinions, i want to note that i think 90 min IPA turns into undrinkable sugary sludge if you age it for a year or two. absolutely hate what happens to that beer when not fresh (love the beer normally though).

hoptimum will lose everything that sets it apart from other beers in the process of aging. you can do it if you want, but there's no principled reason to "try something new" meaning old hoptimum instead of just buying some other beer you've never had before. + chances are it will not be good.

3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Probably not such a good idea.

4. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Crusader (743) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Probably not a good cellering IPA... not enough malt IMHO. Although for the cost of one beer and some time, have a ball and get back to us in two or three years. I can almost guarantee no one on here actually knows what happens after aging it. Call me an IDIOT, but I have a mix-a-six of Nugget Nectar, Flower Power, 90min, Harpoon Imperial IPA, Burton Baton, and ST 2XIPA that have been cellering for over a year, and I can't wait to drop them on some BA's at a tasting next year. I have a feeling some may be fantastic, and some possibly horrible... but who really knows?... oh wait... the EXPERTS will know!

havron likes this.
  5. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

6. Thickfreakness

I never said improvement... different... it's an experiment that cost a few bucks. Big deal smart ass! BTW... do you know? Have you aged any of the above brews? If you have, you would have said so by now, so I'm just guessing that ur being an ArrogantB. You remind me of my 12 yr old that doesn't like (insert food here), and then try's it with some friends and then tells me that she's always liked that. Just say... I don't know... cause you don't! Don't come off like a know it all asshole.

LuskusDelph and muletrane like this.
  7. Blanco

Blanco Defender (608) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Burton Baton might be OK.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  8. Thickfreakness

I'm thinking Burton, 90min, NN, and maybe the Harpoon... even two or three out of 6 wouldn't be bad for a test. I'm thinking fresh - one/one & 1/2 yrs is too soon... but maybe after the hops really fade and it becomes malty, sweet, and brings out fruit notes that never happened when fresh. Either way... It's gonna be fun, and have alcohol in it! :-)

havron likes this.
  9. djmichaelk

djmichaelk Zealot (547) Jul 6, 2008 Florida

I've had old Nugget Nectar, 90min, 2xIPA, and Flower Power at various times over the years (hey, sometimes you gotta take what you can get at 1:45am when travelling), and I can tell you that all four were cardboardy, oxidized, faded messes. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who's had that experience.

Don't assume that everyone who contradicts you has no idea what they're talking about.

bloatednemesis likes this.
  10. StoutFest

StoutFest Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2009 Illinois

Why is it that when you get an old IPA as an extra your unhappy?
    Why is that when you find out you bought an old IPA at your local store you will feel ripped off?
    Why is it that if you run into old IPA's at the store you will not buy them and they will not sale?
    Why is it that when shopping for IPA's we always look for the freshest bottled dates?
    Why do growlers of fresh IPA's taste so good?
    Why do breweries push for their hoppy beers to be consumed fresh?
    WHY DID GREG HALL DECIDE TO STOP BOTTLING GOOSE ISLAND IMPERIAL IPA?

Bottom line: If you want to age IPA's drink barleywines and age barleywines because that's what some that will hold up will taste like if they are doubles or imperials.

Treebs likes this.
  11. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Don't age IPAs. Unless you want to be a beer-o-naut of some sort. But know others have been there, and the results have not been good.

12. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (243) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Hey, this thread has only been dead for 4.5 years, so I figure it's ripe for a new post. I'm drinking a 2015 Hoptimum right now. A buddy of mine who always holds on to his brews way too long brought over a 4 pack and left it here, so I didn't have to cellar it and it was free. The beer is still good enough to enjoy, but I wouldn't age it on purpose. The mouthfeel is lusciously smooth and creamy and it tastes exactly like a barely wine with a bitter finish. Still some hops on the nose too, but they are definitely faded. Way better fresh, but still interesting after a year.

13. slavetothemessiah

slavetothemessiah Initiate (42) Dec 14, 2015 Oklahoma

Just stopped into a liquor store with 2 minutes Til closing. I was gonna grab some hop hunter because it always seems to keep well. Didn't see any but they had some hoptimum. Grabbed it and ran to the counter. As she was ringing up, I saw it was 6 months old. I bought it anyway. I was out of hoppy beer and stocked pretty full of backwoods bastard and breakfast stout. It's pretty faded and musty. But I'm in Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains and the beer is kept warm. I've had it fresh and it's pretty good. 6 months, not so much. I know this is an old thread, but to anyone curious, just. Don't. Do it.

bloatednemesis likes this.
  14. phildow

phildow Initiate (115) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I've had old Hoptimum and it is a shell of its fresh self at even 6 months old, in my opinion. That's assuming it's kept on a shelf, I haven't tried keeping any for that long in a fridge.
    Side note: I have about six 2 year old Hopslam and drank one the other day and it was pretty awful judging it as an IPA, but like someone said above, it was not undrinkable by any means.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,487) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I am over this asinine idea that ipas turn into barley wines when aged. Y'all need to knock that shit off. Heady won't turn into Succaba in a year.

oldbean and LuskusDelph like this.
  16. honeynutoreos

honeynutoreos Initiate (32) Jul 23, 2013 Arizona

A friend of mine aged a SN celebration for a year, we both thought it was still really good for an IPA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.