Anyone know what this is on my Cantillon cork?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Gunch43, May 23, 2013.

1. Gunch43

Gunch43 Jan 15, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

I noticed this in a bottle of Cantillon I have. I have stored it upright I'm not sure how it was during shipping. Anyway to know if this may be yeast or rot?

2. BadJustin

BadJustin Dec 18, 2010 New York

looks like an infected cork to me. my .02

3. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

It's from being placed on its side for an extended period of time. That's the sediment (yeast) from the bottom of the bottle. It's OK if some of it gets in your beer.

Ignore the speculative comment above.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

If it were mine I would lay it on its side for a while and let that yeast reabsorb into the beer, then store it upright. Not sure if that would even work but I would try it.

5. BadJustin

wasn't speculative, honestly didnt know. Took a guess at it. Wines do that so why not beer.

alex_hart likes this.
  6. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Aug 10, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I've had an "infected" sour only once. You'll know very quickly if this is the case.
    I wouldn't bet on cork infect, cantillons are rather robust on their own and I doubt they are very susceptible to invasion/"uncontrolled" rotting...Unless someone wanted to share some loon infection horror story (and I'm not referring to the whimsical sulfur bombs cantillons used to be more often than not)

7. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

If you store them upright for a while the gunk will actually solidify a bit more and just come out with the cork or stick to the bottle. I call them "cork boogers."

8. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

With an avatar like yours can we believe you? :D

9. IndyDad

IndyDad Jan 21, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

OH MY GOD IT'S POISON! Send it to me, I'll get rid of it for you!

10. cneville

cneville Sep 16, 2010 Ohio

this is the definition of speculative

beerme411, mendvicdog, MC6 and 42 others like this.
  11. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

You beat me to it.

Gosox8787 and watsonmd like this.
  12. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

There could not have been a better reply from him.

Gosox8787 and watsonmd like this.
  13. BadJustin

I am a horticulturist by profession, not an english teacher. Next time I will consult Websters prior to posting. Y'all can keep your big ole fancy words. Jerks. ;)

KhakCane, alex_hart, Brew33 and 3 others like this.
  14. dwagner003

dwagner003 Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah, with how smart everyone seems to act on this site, I often think I accidentally went to quantumphysicsadvocate.com, but then I realize that it's a website dedicated to beer.

15. Michigan

Michigan Oct 24, 2012 Michigan

Dude....

16. Highbrow

Highbrow Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

this isn't my field, but my understanding was that "infected cork" usually refers to cork that's under attack from fungus or similar. is that correct or no? if so - what does how robust the beer is have to do with the pre-existing condition a cork might have?

17. regularjohn

regularjohn Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

might be something wrong with it, just send it to me i'll give it a proper taste test ! ;)

18. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Aug 10, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Highly acidic environment, shortage of consumable sugars, presence of competition (various fungal (yeast) and bacterial (multiple) cultures), meh, that's just off the top what I can think of, but I'd like someone to educate more on the Q. I'm mainly drawing on my experience with brewing kombucha for which there are many similarities. Wine is not really comparable as there are measures to protect against fungal "infections" (i.e. brett) and bacterial infestation, as it would putrefy the product

19. Highbrow

Beer Trader

i guess what i'm confused about and may very well be wrong - but i thought "cork infection" is when a cork has hidden or dormant fungus that later goes active & eats at a cork. i guess what i'm trying to say is i don't think it generally comes from beer exposure or depends on how "robust" a beer is/isn't. anybody???

20. Highbrow

Beer Trader

OP - any chance we could see a pic of the entire top of the bottle?

21. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

You must horticulture up the best stuff..

cavedave and Tballz420 like this.
  22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Head down to the pharmacy and get some Corkistat 3.

paulys55, LMT, praxis16 and 5 others like this.
  23. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

Send it to a microbiologist to confirm it's several types of wild yeast and bacteria which are also found at the bottom of the bottle and suspended in the beer.

24. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

[quote="Highbrow, post: 1344039, member: 549i guess what i'm confused about and may very well be wrong - but i thought "cork infection" is when a cork has hidden or dormant fungus that later goes active & eats at a cork. i guess what i'm trying to say is i don't think it generally comes from beer exposure or depends on how "robust" a beer is/isn't. anybody???[/quote]
    Yes, corked wine and corked beer are nasty. About 3-4% of the cork prduced has the taint, and you can taste it down to 0.1 ppt. That is almost nothing.

25. shand

shand Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Trust me, you don't want to taste the taint.

tstigz and mahak213 like this.
  26. watermelonman

watermelonman Feb 14, 2004 California

Hepatitis C.

hellhammermario likes this.
  27. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

Isn't that precisely what speculation is?

28. pixieskid

pixieskid Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Honestly, I have never seen anything like that in a bottle of Cantillon and I have seen/open a lot of bottles (not bragging, I work at a beershop and we sell Cantillon). It does seem a bit odd, how old is the bottle/how has it been stored?

29. regularjohn

regularjohn Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

next time you see a lot, send me one ;)

30. pixieskid

pixieskid Jun 4, 2009 Germany

come on over to paris and buy all you want :cool:

31. jdklks

jdklks Aug 9, 2007 Maryland

Do you work at la cave de bulles?

32. danscott

danscott Jul 15, 2006 California

Turn it upside down so it can swim back in, yo!

33. Thehuntmaster

Thehuntmaster Sep 2, 2009 South Africa

I have seen that before on one or two bottles, it is just that yeast has solidified near the cork - a result of the beer being stored on its side/ with the cork facing downwards slightly. Just tip the bottle up and down or shake it lightly and it should go into suspension in the beer. Then if you store it upright for a few days it should settle on the bottom of the bottle.

It does however also look like the cork might be damaged, so be careful when opening it. Cork in your beer is not great, but better than what happened to my bottle of Shot in the Dark that had a damaged cork - as I opened the bottle, the cork broke in the neck at a very strange angle. This left a tiny hole on one side and (since the beer was a crazy gusher) a VERY high pressure jet of purple/red liquid shot out into my face, onto my pool table and onto the ceiling o_O

34. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Jun 13, 2012 Florida

You say that as if quantum physicists are somehow smarter or better than people that are knowledgeable about beer.

;)

dwagner003 likes this.
  35. Highbrow

Beer Trader

my thoughts exactly.

also, i asked to see a picture of the complete top because looking at the incomplete image, i get the impression there might be another indicator that the bottle was exposed to excessive heat.

36. mellowmark

mellowmark Mar 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

So in other words it was speculative?

37. geocool

geocool Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

It is evidence of deliciousness.

38. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Jan 7, 2013 Arizona
    Subscriber

I saw a bottle of classic gueze that a guy brought to a tasting recently that was from 1996. The cork was what looked to be moldy- maybe similar to the OPs. Beer tasted just fine. And by fine, I mean awesome!

39. Danny1217

Danny1217 Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Your beer may be infected with wild yeast and bacteria.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe