Anyone seen Bigfoot yet??

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by skivtjerry, Nov 18, 2021.

1. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (579) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

...with seasonal creep, I expected to get some before halloween...

jonphisher, Genuine and DIM like this.
  2. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,924) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Not yet
    Cheers

3. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,180) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Last year's was packaged on Dec 4th, won't see 2022 for a while.

VodkaPong87, FonyBones and skivtjerry like this.
  4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,794) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I usually see it around January-ish.

5. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (121) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

Took her to diner last Sunday!

skivtjerry and sefus12 like this.
  6. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (721) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Unfortunately this is the one beer that doesn’t get the seasonal creep treatment

7. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (460) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

Last year, I was lucky enough to find a 4 pack (left out of a 6 pack) in February....the year before that, I couldn't find any. It's gotta be one of my favorite beers to have when we're in the middle of winter. It's great to sip on after shoveling snow, that's for certain. One of my favorite barleywines to keep warm with in the dead of winter.

VodkaPong87 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  8. AlcahueteJ

Society

They should just put a Santa hat on Bigfoot and release it in December.

9. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (721) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

FTFY

skivtjerry and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,648) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The first time I ever had Bigfoot, I didn't even feel like finishing the bottle. Today, it's easily one of my favorite American beers. Tastes change... and I hope this beer doesn't change with the times. I'll be disappointed if it ever transitions to cans.

11. zid

Society Trader

My 2021 edition was packaged 11/25/20, but the thing to keep in mind is that Bigfoot stays at Sierra Nevada for about a month for conditioning before it's released... which is why it's essentially a January release.

Bigfoot was very hard to find by me for the 2021 release. If there was any less of it, it wouldn't be here. On the topic of conditioning, with Porter, Stout, and bottled six packs of Celebration gone... Pale Ale and Bigfoot are basically the only bottle conditioned SN beers left that I can purchase. God bless SN for taking the time to condition Bigfoot for a month... and for continuing to bottle condition at all. It's an increasingly rare breed.

Elfastball7, jmdrpi and skivtjerry like this.
  12. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,180) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I've read that Bigfoot sales are on the decline. It hasn't been hard to find around here, but there certainly is less of it. Looking forward to my annual case purchase in January. It'd be a damn shame if they ever stop making this.

And yes, god bless them for bottle conditioning this. At 6-8 years this is magnificent.

AlcahueteJ and skivtjerry like this.
  13. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

One of my favorite Bigfoot stories... Me and my lone beer-buddy, Tom, were sitting around the shop talking beer one day in the late 1990s, mostly about the greatness of Bigfoot Barleywine. It had just hit the shelves and I apparently mentioned the local store where I had recently purchased it.

Next day, I'm sitting in the shop at the start of the shift and Dave drops a bag in my lap. "Here! You can have it."

Open the paper bag - did Dave buy me lunch? - and there's a six five pack of Bigfoot. "What's this?"

"Well, I heard you and Tommy goin' on and on about that beer so I stopped in and bought it (likely instead of Budweiser) and couldn't even finish the first one."
    "Well, here - lemme pay you for it..."
    "Nope. Lesson learned. Don't listen to you guys about beer."

sulldaddy, AlcahueteJ, DIM and 4 others like this.
  14. skivtjerry

You're getting SN Porter??? Haven't had that in many years.

15. zid

Society Trader

I wish. I was saying the opposite.

16. Providence

Providence Crusader (758) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

The first time I had it, I had know idea what a barleywine was. I was just moving from the, "I drink a shit ton of Rolling Rock" phase to the "Hey, I have a few extra bucks in my pocket these days, why not try some different stuff" phase. I knew I liked SNPA and when I saw the bigfoot sixer I was like, "That looks cool" and grabbed it. Drank three of them right out of the bottle (again, this was my very, very early days of craft) in about 90 minutes. I thought it was yummy. Had no idea how strong it was until I got up to use the bathroom. I was like, "Damn, this shit is strong!" How times have changed, ha.

AlcahueteJ, Spade and sulldaddy like this.
  17. zid

Society Trader

Today, people on BA might even consider a 9.6% ABV barley wine to be weak.

AlcahueteJ and Providence like this.
  18. Providence

Trader

Seriously. It blows my mind how the abv. shift has gone down. I would say that 90% of what I drink is sub 6% abv. Yet the stuff on shelves is almost way over 6%.

19. skivtjerry

When I first started getting into good beer in the early-mid 1980's 6%ABV was considered pretty damn strong. Most European imports were in the 3.5-5.5% range. There were certainly exceptions, like Trappist beers, but a 7.5% dopplebock was regarded as a huge beer.

20. Providence

Trader

Wish it were still that way. When I drink Celebrator Doppelbock I think of it is very strong (and delicious).

21. AlcahueteJ

Society

God bless Notch and the like.

When I first got into craft and I dove in head first. Tracked down too beers on Beeradvocate which at the time were beers like Stone RIS, Victory Storm King, Bigfoot…

I’d buy a sixer, drink most of it then switch to something lighter. I was also in my early 20s.

Unfortunately our ability to process alcohol has not increased like the average ABV has in craft over the years…

skivtjerry and Providence like this.
  22. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,188) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

I found it difficult to find Bigfoot in CT myself. I wonder what's going on, it used to be everywhere!

23. AlcahueteJ

Society

If it was called Hazy Little Bigfoot it would be everywhere.

hillind and ESHBG like this.