Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Anyone trade less because of the new trade forum?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by OneBeertoRTA, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rempo

It was boob surgery.

(I think)

apocalypsezombie and Overlord like this.
  2. Pittsky

Beer Trader

So what is it you think should be done?

Overlord likes this.
  3. Overlord

Never has a "pics or gtfo" comment been more warranted. However, I will refrain from engaging in such tomfoolery.

FTowne, Kuemmelbrau and Czar_chasm like this.
  4. Overlord

1.)Remove all moderation except for the following: posts that advocate serious lawbreaking such as violence, posts that reveal personal information about users, and obvious spam/advertising. Repeating the same thing over and over again without entertaining us constitutes spam.

2.)Create a "miscellaneous"/"catch-all" forum. If a thread doesn't belong where it's posted, rather than being summarily wished into the cornfield it is moved there. Off-topic stuff goes there.

3.)To oversee the transition of what sure is to be a chaotic and exciting time, appoint me as Supreme Chancellor with authority to nullify and/or approve trade offers. When this time of crisis has passed, I assure all of you that I will happily step down.

FTowne, MarkIntihar, jrnyc and 6 others like this.
  5. Czar_chasm

Beer Trader

overlord killin it

Gosox8787, daysinthewake and Overlord like this.
  6. Pahn

Beer Trader

terrible idea that would just encourage more stupidity from Wannabe Forum Heroes outside of the off-topic section. flood of unfunny in-jokes pervading the entire site.

Knifestyles likes this.
  7. BdubleEdubleRUN

Feel free not to click on that forum?
    profit?
    They can set it up so it doesn't feed into the "new posts" and you have to click on that forum to view new posts.

FTowne and Overlord like this.
  8. Overlord

I am sorry that you are so terribly afraid that you will give in to temptation and CLICK ON A LINK THAT YOU CAN EASILY AVOID that the rest of us must go without, but ... actually wait, I'm not sorry at all. DON'T CLICK ON STUFF THAT DOESN'T INTEREST YOU.

jrnyc and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  9. Rempo

You're missing his point. The jokes here aren't funny enough.

FTowne and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  10. cavedave

Beer Trader

That's true. The unquoted part, and this part above.

I remember watching crazy offers get attaboys, and there was discussion about them, in *gasp* the trade thread. and it was a drama on the board that was a part of it. For every "yo bro that won't get done, you are stupid" there was a big offer looking for a trade, something that also requires a lot of bumps. Who remembers that huge treyrab trade? It got bumped til it completed.

We remember because it was dramatic, it was a part of what we enjoyed about trading, seeing those get made. Or when shogo decided to rebel against the ebay mentality, and offered nothing for a whale. And made the trade.
    Do people act like idiots sometimes? Is this a website of adults? Does alcohol play a role in things sometimes?

Geepers sometimes I feel like my kids know more about computers than me, but it still cracks me up how thin skinned young folks are, and us old fart AOL 3.0 vets have such an easy attitude about it. Forums were forums back then this ain't shit. That said, younguns is the demographic to be catered to by this site, and the craft beer industry in general, so there you have ebay mentality and no replies in the ISO. Good or bad, tis whatit tis

ShogoKawada and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  11. BobZ

For over a thousand generations, the Trade Police were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Forum. Before the dark times... before the Empire!

True Dat (just more unfunny crap:oops:)

Rempo likes this.
  12. RC0032

Beer Trader

Would the forum be any fun without drama? What would we talk about at tastings?

Overlord likes this.
  13. Pahn

Beer Trader

you missed the point. if i could just avoid

"OvErLoRd'S jOkE fAcToRy: TODAYS TOPIC: LOLOLOLOL"

i would. but terrible jokes and forum personalities will develop within that topic and others, and they will spread like herpes to beer talk, ISO:FT, etc.

you can't find another forum for random chat? really?

Retail1LO likes this.
  14. BdubleEdubleRUN

I do this already, inside jokes with people from private convo's that bring the lulz. you mad?

15. DrAwkward82

I like the fact that the trade forum no longer allows replies. Some BAs seem to find it terribly hard to come to terms with the fact the BeerAdvocate is not reddit or 4chan.

cetherid likes this.
  16. Overlord

You fear a disease, but the cure is even worse. We need to bring balance to the site.

17. Overlord

I totally get your point. Isn't it just horrible when people, instead of communicating directly, use facetious/sarcastic/humorous ways to convey their message? It's just so miserable. There's this discussion about a GQ article on the "five best beer cities" on the main page, and this one guy just comes in with a random, all-caps, obvious joke message that really doesn't contribute to the discussion.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...-in-top-5-best-beer-cities.41954/#post-528192

Oh wait, it was kind of funny, even though it was off topic and a bit "4chan-nish." I like that kind of stuff. Maybe I should tolerate it in other forums as well.

18. MordorMongo

Two points of fact, neither of which are "funny".

One - I need Overlord to write my next speech to my trainees, really regardless of topic.

Two - Still not sure that the "bumping" is a legitimate reason to not allow replies as that could easily be changed by keeping the order by creation date vs latest post.

I miss replies, yes of course I miss teh funnies, but also think it provided knowledge to some (see any of the hundred or so posts I have made on this in the past).

PS I promise to name my next child Veritas 004 if anyone wants to help a brother out!

FTowne and Overlord like this.
  19. DrAwkward82

You missed the point: it's okay when I do it. :oops:

Overlord likes this.
  20. Overlord

[MANLY BELLICOSE LAUGHTER AND A CLAP ON THE BACK TO DRAWKWARD82]

21. daysinthewake

F.U.C.T. 4 LIFE

Overlord likes this.
  22. kmello69

Beer Trader

My last name begins with an "M", in case you were wondering.....

In all seriousness, i dont trade from here, because I have a few non-BA buddies across the country I trade with regularly, but from an outside perspective the trade forum seems to be becoming more like ebay - lots of people now seem to want to field offers, rather than be specific about what they're looking for. Blah.

23. MordorMongo

Yeah it is becoming more and more blatant, but that is to be expected and almost seems like what most of the people WANT around here. Sure you can send those people convo's but it is pointless as they know full well what they are doing. Reporting "auctions" works sometimes but not always, so whatever, the masses have spoken.....and won.

24. glitchedmind

Not that it could have been prevented if replies were allowed in the forums, but I recently bm'd someone regarding some FBS. Their first response was, "yes, Im still open to trade, make me an offer". Knowing where this was going (and anticipating the response), I decided to play along. I offered exactly what they posted in the thread, as I thought it was a totally fair trade. After reading my BM, A couple hours later they replied that they had received a better offer. Which was nearly half of what he had actually listed in the posting.

These styles of posts, people lying about the cost of bottles (while trying to trade $4$), and other shenanigans are starting to be quite commonplace since the inability to reply. Just my experiences.

edit: posts that I have seen people lying about the cost of bottles were reported for the very reason, and were eventually deleted. Unfortunately, the person learned, and no longer posts the price in the threads. I'm pretty sure he is still doing it via bm though.

25. Patrick

Posts like this have always existed, at least in my experience.

26. glitchedmind

You are absolutely correct. They have, but with a lot less frequency.
    Sure, you can BM the user, but if they are knowingly "one upping" others, they are going to do nothing about it. Maybe chuckle, delete the BM, and continue about their business.

27. Patrick

I demand evidence.

28. MordorMongo

Indeed they have, and perhaps I am just bitter and jaded, but man they really seem more common as of late.

The last three times I replied to a person's ISO:FT that I haven't traded with before (or "knew") after offering EXACTLY what they said they wanted I was promptly told I have to pony up more if I want the deal. Two of those three later PM'd back stating they would now accept (meaning they milked the prior cow too much and chaffed a teet) and I politely declined stating I don't do business with terrorists or douchebags.

Treebs, FTowne, MarkIntihar and 4 others like this.
  29. MordorMongo

Sorry man, I didn't start keeping track of dickbags until recently so I have no hard evidence, only my instinct and memory.

glitchedmind likes this.
  30. Czar_chasm

Beer Trader

I may be in the minority but when I am vague about what I'd like it's because I'm relatively new to the craft beer scene (at least the high end / rarer stuff) and don't really know exactly what I want until it's offered. I usually will put out a few specific wants and then say I'll entertain other should wants or offers. I don't really know a functional way to differentiate this from "auction" style posts so maybe it's useless posting this but I just thought I'd throw that out there...

31. MordorMongo

So if someone offers you exactly what you want you tell them "well let me see if someone will offer more"? If so, yeah TO ME that is an auction. I am not saying YOU are guilty of that and many people around here don't care but my personal opinion is that stuff defines someone I do not care to trade with because it makes me think they will do that every time. I prefer to establish repeat partners for the most part and that kind of stuff isn't what partnerships are built on. Again, just my opinion, man.

cavedave and Czar_chasm like this.
  32. Czar_chasm

Beer Trader

I see what you're saying and I agree. I'm not sure how you can really combat / spot that though other than someone saying that directly. For example, a past trading partner posted an ISO recently that got a lot of responses. I BM'd him and he ended up trading with me as I was a past trading partner but there were a lot of other responses. Those who offered what he wanted might feel like someone else offered more, etc. Also, if you put up an offer and get a lot of interest all at once why wouldn't you take the best offer? To me, there's a ton of gray area that makes it impossible to correctly define / enforce.

To the last point I think that's spot on. People have been very generous to me in my short time here and I try my best to return it. I regularly let past trading partners know special stuff I've been able to pick up. They don't always want it bad enough to trade for volume ( again, if someone is willing to give me something I want to try that's hard to get I'll probably trade volume with them over someone I've traded with that isn't willing to give that up) but I'll keep a few bottles around to send as extras during the next trade if they show any interest.

tl;dr- I think I agree with you in principle but it seems futile to try to enforce rules regarding it on a forum...

33. MordorMongo

All good points, sure. But see there is a difference. My trading partners and I don't "trade" really.....it is more of "hey I know that guy will like this" so I put it aside and when a box is full I ship it away without knowing any specific things I will get in return. I have a few of those and I promise once you get to that point you will better understand the subtle differences of which you speak. Of course they cannot all ever be policed or caught in the forums, but that doesn't mean we should abandon all measures of trying to somewhat control it.

34. Pahn

Beer Trader

quoting both because what MordorMongo is posting is EXACTLY how to differentiate between "i don't know what i want," and "auction."

as with a lot of "what do i do? how could this possibly work??" trading questions, the answer is that you don't live or die by One Big Trade. find good trading partners with smaller trades, especially cool "more experienced" guys/gals that live in distro-areas that have stuff you can't get and want (or go to breweries that you like). start trading with them, then when you happen to pick up the next BA founders release or something, PM your partners and say "i have X, any interest? send what you think i should want," or "what do you think i should want?" etc.

if you don't know what you want, you really shouldn't be trading your beer on the "open market" to begin with. unless it's locals-for-locals.

35. Czar_chasm

Beer Trader

What I meant was there's no way pragmatic way to differentiate between someone intentionally trying to max their value on the trade forums and just saying they're open to other offers. Unless someone wants to go out and make a "exploitative trader list" I don't really see a way to police that (and that seems like a subjective shit show...).
    When I said because I'm new I don't really know what I want I meant that I appreciate offers of other good beers since I haven't seen / researched a lot of them. Putting up a trade for DL, darkness, or other stouts I should want isn't really something that should be prohibited in my opinion.

Anyway, I agree with you as well regarding successful trading models. I've come across some great beers I probably never would have tried on the advice of past trading partners.

36. yamar68

I was planning on watching the debates but then I stumbled across this proverbial treasure trove.

37. youradhere

Beer Trader

Blah blah blah, I know the most about beer, you all are dumb, I am right.

The only reason people cry about this is because of perceived loss of a perceived value. Drink your valuable beer and shut up.

wingedeel likes this.
  38. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber

Thanks to everyone who took the time to actually contribute to the thread.

We'll be taking all constructive feedback into consideration and most likely be polling the community on some possible changes in the near future.

Cheers!

apaisncsu, robinsmv, Mandark and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe