1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Anyone trade less because of the new trade forum?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by OneBeertoRTA, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

quoting both because what MordorMongo is posting is EXACTLY how to differentiate between "i don't know what i want," and "auction."

as with a lot of "what do i do? how could this possibly work??" trading questions, the answer is that you don't live or die by One Big Trade. find good trading partners with smaller trades, especially cool "more experienced" guys/gals that live in distro-areas that have stuff you can't get and want (or go to breweries that you like). start trading with them, then when you happen to pick up the next BA founders release or something, PM your partners and say "i have X, any interest? send what you think i should want," or "what do you think i should want?" etc.

if you don't know what you want, you really shouldn't be trading your beer on the "open market" to begin with. unless it's locals-for-locals.
  2. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Jun 20, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

What I meant was there's no way pragmatic way to differentiate between someone intentionally trying to max their value on the trade forums and just saying they're open to other offers. Unless someone wants to go out and make a "exploitative trader list" I don't really see a way to police that (and that seems like a subjective shit show...).
    When I said because I'm new I don't really know what I want I meant that I appreciate offers of other good beers since I haven't seen / researched a lot of them. Putting up a trade for DL, darkness, or other stouts I should want isn't really something that should be prohibited in my opinion.

Anyway, I agree with you as well regarding successful trading models. I've come across some great beers I probably never would have tried on the advice of past trading partners.
  3. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

I was planning on watching the debates but then I stumbled across this proverbial treasure trove.
  4. youradhere

youradhere Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Blah blah blah, I know the most about beer, you all are dumb, I am right.

The only reason people cry about this is because of perceived loss of a perceived value. Drink your valuable beer and shut up.
    wingedeel likes this.
  5. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks to everyone who took the time to actually contribute to the thread.

We'll be taking all constructive feedback into consideration and most likely be polling the community on some possible changes in the near future.

apaisncsu, robinsmv, Mandark and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!