Anything good in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'South' started by MichaelBurns, Apr 7, 2015.

1. MichaelBurns

MichaelBurns Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2011 Indiana

Heading to Arkansas for a few days. Will be staying near Mountain Home (north and middle of the state).
    Looking for any stores or breweries I should specifically hit up to find anything not normally distributed to Indiana.
    Will be close to the Missouri border too if I should cross the line for something.

Thanks

2. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (624) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Arkansas is a beer wasteland, in the cities. Out there? I wish you luck.

3. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (318) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

The Northwest Arkansas Beer scene is thriving despite what some might say.

4. memphischas

memphischas Zealot (514) Apr 15, 2008 Tennessee

I was impressed with Lost Forty but I think they're only in Little Rock as of now.

flyinmonki82 and DWeatherly like this.
  5. memphischas

memphischas Zealot (514) Apr 15, 2008 Tennessee

6. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (624) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

7. MichaelBurns

Thanks. I'll be sure to check these things out before I leave.

8. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,441) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

I would probably hit Brown Derby in Springfield MO & stock up. Not sure what you will find in the sticks. Good luck.

9. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (167) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

AR is far from a beer wasteland. I am here right now, and I've been enjoying good brews. Even saw several packs of KBS sitting on a shelf.

To be fair, I'm in the Little Rock area. I don't know much about the Mountain Home part of the state. I believe Ozark recently canned a bourbon barrel something.

CowsandBeer and flyinmonki82 like this.
  10. rtrasr

There are approximately 10 breweries and brewpubs in NW Arkansas, and several in LR. Good bottle shops in NW Arkansas (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville) and Central Arkansas (Little Rock, North Little Rock). Mountain Home is a little bit off the beaten path. However, Harrison 45 miles to the west have good bottle shops. Springfield Mo boasts several breweries (Mothers, White River, and Springfield Brewing), good bottle shops and lots of bars and pubs. Eureka Springs has several good bars and restaurants serving craft beer and one brewpub.

CowsandBeer and 50StateBeerTour like this.
  11. BrewAskew

BrewAskew Meyvn (1,438) Feb 28, 2002 Oklahoma

Seriously look up Gravity Brew Works in Big Flat, AR. They are south of Mountain Home. Bill Riffle is the proprietor and a GABF Winning brewer, formerly with Vino's in Little Rock and studied under the current head brewer for the new Lost Forty brewery in Little Rock which is getting high marks. I have not personally made the trip yet, but I would try it if I were in Mountain Home, having had his Vino's beers which were all very good. It's a tiny operation in a remote area, so call ahead to make sure they are open and have beer on tap.

http://www.gravitybrewworks.com/

12. BrewAskew

Also, If you ever find yourself in Interstate 30 in downtown Little Rock near the Clinton library, you must stop at Lost Forty.

13. BrewAskew

Hell, not much more a of a beer wasteland than Kentucky (and I hear KY is growing like AR too, so good on them!) . We are not Colorado or California, but neither is most of the rest of the country. Your statement was closer to the truth about ten years ago about AR but not today.

CowsandBeer and russpowell like this.
  14. rtrasr

Gosh, I forgot about them. Much closer to Mountain Home.

15. MichaelBurns

Thanks for all the info. Wasn't able to go anywhere this time but going back in July and will be making a day or two dedicated to beer.

16. russpowell

Beer Trader

Lost Forty just showed in NW Arkansas (cans). I like the Pils, the bock I could take or leave.

17. BrewAskew

The Lost Forty Pils took me back to 1997-99 when River Rock brewery was in business. Anyway the head brewer for RiverRock (which eventually became Bosco's and is now Damgoode Pies) is now the head brewer for Lost 40. I had not tasted a RiverRock beer since 1999 and what I had easter weekend from L40 instantly reminded me of those riverrock brews.

jcdgoad and russpowell like this.
  18. russpowell

Beer Trader

Just to kind of keep some monetum on this tread. I finally made it by Bike Rack Brewing Co. in Bentonville. They had 5 beers on tap. The stout & IPA were pretty good. The place right next to it, Peddlers Pub does some killer wood fired pizzas. Worth checking out if in the area, you get a min pub crawl in between hitting those 2, the Pressroom & Tusk & Trotter. If you can't find a good food option between those 3 then you're probably never gonna be happy...

19. rtrasr

You are absolutely right Russ! I liked Bike Rack's Amber Ale, Stout and the Golden Ale. I would add Table Mesa to that mix good Mexican/Southwestern food and lots of good beer particularly from Ozark Beer Co.

20. russpowell

Beer Trader

I've yet to check out Table Mesa, the only thing we have worth a damn in our town is Tex-Mex, so I rarely eat it out of town:grimacing:

21. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (67) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

I just had a BDCS 2015 from Ozark Beer Co and it was very good!

MattJ12 likes this.
  22. russpowell

Beer Trader

I liked it better on draft, but held up well in the can...

23. BrewAskew

Reminds me of the typical flagship offerings of the brewpubs and production micros of the 1990's. I mean that in a positive way. Glad to see that this formula still works.

russpowell likes this.
  24. rtrasr

I like the fact that they are mastering the basics first. There is much virtue in that.

russpowell likes this.
  25. russpowell

Beer Trader

Sort of off topic, but Victory coming NW Arkansas ( & hopefully everywhere else) in June!

26. BrewAskew

Great news. I will pick some up when I make it back there. Haven't seen it in OK yet.

27. BrewAskew

Sort of on topic: I was cleaning out the garage last night and found some 6 pack carriers for Weidman's Arkansas Ale. It wasn't a bad recipe for a blonde ale but the quality control was terrible. Lots of infected bottles out there, but the few times I had it on tap it was clean and crisp. Does anybody remember them? They also had Danny Boy Stout, Naked Nut Brown Ale and Rope Swing Red Ale. They were in operation as a brew pub in the early 90's and became a production-only facility around 1997. They closed in 2000, a few months before Diamond Bear took it's place as the only production micro in the state for many years.

Back then, around 1998-1999 there were a massive FOUR breweries:
    Ozark (now Hog Haus) in Fayetteville,
    Weidman's in Fort Smith, and
    LR had Vino's and
    RiverRock.

Nowadays there are around 17 active breweries in the state with several others planning or building. So if someone's impression of Arkansas beer was made on the Weidman's stuff, they are a million miles behind.
    [​IMG]

28. russpowell

Beer Trader

I don't think they are going in to OK. LaGunitas is though...

29. rtrasr

Weidman's was in Fort Smith in the late 80's, it may be the first brewery of this era.

russpowell likes this.
  30. BrewAskew

I did not know Weidmans went back that far. I do recall it started as a brewpub. Little Rock had a little production micro from 1984-87 called Riley-Lyon. They made a pale ale called Red Lyon and a couple of lagers under the White Tail name. By all accounts nobody "got it" back then and it did not catch on. I was too young and my dad would not bring it home, otherwise I would know what it tasted like because he would split a beer with me once in a great while.

rtrasr and russpowell like this.
  31. rtrasr

I didn't know about the existence of Riley-Lyon as far back as 1984.

32. jmryan8

jmryan8 Disciple (331) Aug 30, 2014 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

Can Ozark, Lost River or any of the other Arkansas breweries of note be found in stores and bottle shops around Hot Springs/Lake Catherine?

33. BrewAskew

There may be some stores in the area carrying Lost Forty cans. The Kroger stores in Little Rock have it. Don't know if it made it to Hot Springs. Diamond Bear is available in most decent stores. Their Porter is excellent and their Irish Red, Dogtown Brown and Oatmeal Stout are tasty as well if you are looking for malty brews. Ozark distribution is doubtful in that area. Does anybody know?

Lost River. I assume you meant Lost Forty. The head brewer at Lost Forty was the Head Brewer at the defunct RiverRock brewery I mentioned earlier. I see the connection.

#33 BrewAskew, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  34. jmryan8

jmryan8 Disciple (331) Aug 30, 2014 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

Thanks. I did mean Lost Forty.

Lost River would be a good brewery name, though.

35. russpowell

Beer Trader

36. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Disciple (355) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I will be in NW Arkansas running War Eagle 50K beginning of June. Peddler's looks like a pizza joint I can't pass up. I plan on going to Fossil Cove, Columbus House, and Bike Rack. Any recs for bottle shops would be appreciated. Thanks!

37. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2008 Arkansas

Lost Forty is currently only available in Pulaski and Saline counties. Cans are currently sold in about 50 locations. Supply is currently very limited......but a lot of cans will hit the market in the next few weeks!!

russpowell and ElChuques like this.
  38. russpowell

Beer Trader

Liquorworld in Fayetteville & Walton Boulevard Wine & Spirits in Bentonville are my 2 "go tos". You will find it worth your while to make a run across the border to Macadoodles in Jane/Caverna, MO.

39. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Disciple (355) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Thanks dude - I was wondering if it would be worth the drive north or the border.

russpowell likes this.
  40. DTRoman

DTRoman Initiate (39) Mar 3, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I will also be travelling to Arkansas from indiana (ironically) and will also be staying out in the sticks but down south (Crossett to be precise). I figure there isn't much out there but I'm flying into little rock and driving down from there. Was hoping to stop at a bottle shop on the way down or back up. Will certainly look for the brews you guys have suggested but was wondering about prairie availability in state? Would love to grab a couple bomb! Etc If possible

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.