Anything good in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'South' started by MichaelBurns, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (87) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

Haven’t been to Dos Rocas yet, but I’ve heard great things. Both of those breweries, Especially Gravity, are a considerable drive from LR. I’ve never been to either, but I’ve had solid beer from both.

If I hadn’t taken tomorrow off work, I’d gladly have bought you a beer.

champ103 likes this.
  2. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,355) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Premium

Cool, I added Dos Rocas to the database here, and usually write reviews of the places I stop at in Little Rock. Will definitely report back.

ElChuques and jdell15 like this.
  3. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (206) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Any decent bottle shops in Fayetteville area??

4. ElChuques

If you like legitimate barbacoa tacos, hit up Taqueria Guadalajara on Camp Robinson Dr. in North Little Rock.

Authenticity credentials: I lived on the Mexican border for 12 years.

Also, ZAZA is a great spot for Neapolitan pizza, salad, and gelato. District Fare has awesome sandwiches and charcuterie. Big Orange for burgers.

champ103 likes this.
  5. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,355) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Premium

Yep, I have been to most of those spots, will certainly check out the taqueria. I drive up from Houston (lots of authentic barbacoa there too ha) to see my family in Illinois, and usually always around Christmas. Which means I will stop in Little Rock when I can, love that town almost went to grad school at UALR a lifetime ago. Thanks for the recs.

Edit: Oh yeah, when I stopped at Dos Rocas, saw Rock Town Distillery across the street. That is a legit distillery. Love the Sour Mash and Gin.

#605 champ103, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    ElChuques and donspublic like this.
  6. ElChuques

Just saw Flyway posted on Instagram they will be open Monday from 11-6. Their food is really good. Get the gumbo fries if you go.

IMFletcher likes this.
  7. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (622) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Thanks for the info. Hit Lost Forty and Bent Kettle, grabbed Nighty Night, hit a store and got a bunch of BDCS. Got invited to GArBF. Good day

champ103, ECOBOOSTINST and ElChuques like this.
  8. IMFletcher

Trader

So, opinions on Great Arkansas Beer Festival? That VIP list looked silly good last year, the general list not so much. What sort of turnout? Are there official/unofficial pre-events? Trying to gauge where to allot limited traveling time/budget for this year.

Compton25 likes this.
  9. ElChuques

VIP alone is always worth the price of admission. General list is always pretty basic, but there are good beers to try (especially for an out-of-towner).

Compton25 and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  10. Compton25

Compton25 Aspirant (239) Jan 25, 2011 Texas
    Trader

So some background info on our fest. We’ve been doing it for 5 years, with the last two years bringing in 2,000+ people. The general list is a basic portfolio of everything sold in the state, along with a few special beers from local breweries (Lost 40, Rebel Kettle) The ticket is for entry, and there are unlimited pours once inside. I provide the VIP list each year, and try to make it memorable. Last year we incorporated tastings during the general admission hours for the VIP ticket holders.

Something I’ve come to understand over doing this festival and the VIP section, is know your audience. I’ve always tried to make the VIP something for the hardcore beer geeks. Sadly that just isn’t the audience we’ve been getting the last two years. It’s mainly the bud light crossed into shiner and now looking for something else. Last year I had people shotgunning the Westvleteren lineup and trying to drink every single beer at the festival. Meanwhile the Cantillon and Hill Farmstead sat untouched.. except by @ElChuques This year I’m trying to find a balance between keeping the VIP execpetional and trying to get more people involved.

If you come and get the VIP, you’ll most likely have unlimited pours of Cantillon and tons of great beer most do not care about haha. Feel free to PM with any questions!

ElChuques, IMFletcher and donspublic like this.
  11. IMFletcher

Trader

Does the VIP area/access end early, or is it open the entire time of the fest? Because I'd probably just want to spend all of my time in VIP.

Compton25 likes this.
  12. Compton25

Compton25 Aspirant (239) Jan 25, 2011 Texas
    Trader

VIP initially was an hour early entrance into the fest, along with my list that was only available for that hour. Starting last year we expanded into a large roped off area where VIP have tables, snacks, and we did a special tasting each hour. This way the VIP experience wasn’t over in just the first early hour. Now the list probably lasted a little over an hour, but the special tastings went thru the entire event.

13. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,858) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Probably too late, but Liquor World & Dickson Steeet Liquor are my 2 go tos.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  14. russpowell

Premium Trader

Anyone going to Frostfest in Fayetteville? Planning on it, buthaven't purchased a ticket yet. Last year's was fun

15. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (206) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Will keep it in mind for next visit. Wife's father lives down there, so we make a few stops a year.

16. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,953) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Been a while since I've checked out the Arkansas brewing scene. Anything new in the Bentonville/Fayatteville area?

ElChuques likes this.
  17. russpowell

Premium Trader

Crisis Brewing in Fayetteville, Ivorybill in Siloam Springs are two that spring immediately to mind. New Providence may have not been around the last you were through.

ElChuques and Harrison8 like this.