Anything good in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'South' started by MichaelBurns, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (89) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

There’s only been one drop for the whole state back in January as far as I know.

My understanding is that we will get sporadic re-ups as a flex market.

RedhawkPoke likes this.
  2. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,966) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Ozark BCDS dropped in NWA today...

3. Compton25

Compton25 Aspirant (239) Jan 25, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Here in Little Rock as well. 107 Liquor has several cases at 2 4pks PP. Shout out to @ElChuques for the lead.

4. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,626) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Drinking a BDCS right now. Looks like a better yield this year. I'm going to try to grab another six pack, but looks like plenty to go around.

russpowell and ElChuques like this.
  5. russpowell

Trader

TG King Sue in NWA. I can convert this if to acronym heavy :stuck_out_tongue:

ElChuques and donspublic like this.
  6. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (307) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Tried Ivory Bill English Dark Mild Ale brewed Ivory Bill Brewery of Siloam Springs at Foster's Pint and Plate. Really a stunner.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  7. HeliosBlack

HeliosBlack Initiate (49) Sep 28, 2012 Tennessee
    Trader

Had King Sue at Puritan Coffee and Beer Bar in Fayetteville. Delicious as always. Also picked up four 4-packs of BDCS 2019 at a fayetteville shop with no per person limit.

ECOBOOSTINST and ElChuques like this.
  8. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (81) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

[QUOTE=" Shout out to ElChuques for the lead.[/QUOTE]

Thats right! Thanks Brother! I score a few 4 packs thanks to the heads up.

ElChuques likes this.
  9. russpowell

Trader

I need to find that, none of their beers really floated my boat & I spent 5 years in England. They are certainly going against trends with most of their beers. Luckily for me, they are not far away...

ElChuques and rtrasr like this.
  10. rtrasr

It starts out very low key but cocoa, milk chocolate, burnt sugar (caramel)?, and maybe a faint hint of smoke. It is sublime and the best kegged Mild I've had.

russpowell likes this.
  11. ElChuques

Our scene is finally coming around. If I had seen this post four years ago, I would have assumed you had taken some LSD/crack/ketamine cocktail.

doowhat, jvgoor3786 and russpowell like this.
  12. HeliosBlack

Trader

LOL. I still remember my first trip to Fayetteville back in June 2018, and looking at what was there and mostly being disappointed. Huge leap in less than a year. I can say the same for Memphis now too though. Finally getting Southern Grist and Bearded Iris cans in stores that are 4 days to 3 weeks old. I love it.

ElChuques and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  13. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,088) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Anything make it to Northeast Arkansas? Jonesboro? Or West Memphis?

14. russpowell

Trader

You stopped in the wrong places in 2018 if you were disappointed. There plenty of places selling good beer, the local brewpubs are a few pegs down IMO ( still ).

15. ElChuques

Jonesboro gets quite a bit. West Memphis is a wasteland that pretty much gets the most basic local options. Check dates in both cities, though. Stuff tends to sit.

ECOBOOSTINST and Tilley4 like this.
  16. doowhat

doowhat Disciple (347) Feb 22, 2009 Arkansas

Ahahahahaha...I went to church camp in Siloam Springs as a kid back in the 70s...It's refreshing to know that they make beer now.

russpowell and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  17. Sczar04

Sczar04 Initiate (126) Aug 5, 2015 Indiana
    Trader

Headed to Bentonville next week, any chance of finding BDCS on the shelves anywhere?

18. ElChuques

Extremely thin unless some store is holding their allocation in reserve. There is a FB group called Arkansas Craft Beer ISO:FT if you want to try to set up a trade while you’re in town.

russpowell and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  19. russpowell

Trader

Went to Ozark today. Got to try their Coefficient of Haze IPA on draft, it was good, not great. Their can allocation sold out yesterday. Their Ale for ALS PA was tastier IMO & got to take a howler of that home. Hitting Hawkmoth Brewing next time!

ElChuques, IMFletcher and RedhawkPoke like this.
  20. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (267) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

Someone had a crowler from Hawkmoth today at the American Solera bottle release I went to. Not sure what the beer was however.

21. russpowell

Trader

The 2 I had were Belgian styled offerings. The Saison was really good

22. rtrasr

Core has a tasty Czech Lager at their taproom. Ivory Bill has a sublime Dark English Mild Ale, everyone who claims to be a beer geek should try it.

23. HeliosBlack

Trader

Dark English Mild Ale done in AR? I didn't like them when I was in the UK let alone here. Gonna say that's a hard pass.

24. rtrasr

It is was really good with hints of chocolate, burnt sugar, cocoa, and a very faint hint of smoke. The beer had a lot of body too. 4.8% ABV which is significantly higher than what you would have had in the UK.

ElChuques and russpowell like this.
  25. russpowell

Trader

I see that Ivory Bill has started doing some cask offerings ( on gravity I believe )

26. russpowell

Trader

Mild was usually a hit for me when I was in the UK. This sounds pretty tasty

27. rtrasr

Had the keg version at Fosters Pint and Plate. I definitely need to make it over to Siloam Springs. Thanks for the information Russ.

28. russpowell

Trader

Follow their facebook page, it is very newsy.

29. russpowell

Trader

Heard a rumor from a liquor store employee today that Clown Shoes is quitting Arkansas ( or at least NWA ), he said Sam Adams may do the same

30. rtrasr

To be honest I've never seen Clown Shoes on any shelves but Sam Adams just absolutely floors me. The first craft/micro in NW Arkansas was Sam Adams.

We are very fortunate to have our own homegrown brewers who are as it good it gets. Anywhere.

31. HeliosBlack

Trader

I've seen it at liquor world in Fayetteville but never bothered to buy it. It wasn't great when I could get it in CT so why bother.

32. russpowell

Trader

Disagree, I thought Clown Shoes was putting out high quality stuff that quite frankly ran circles around most of our in-state beers

33. HeliosBlack

Trader

In state yes, but that's seriosuly not saying much. But there's much better options from other out of state producers. Why would I drink them over Prairie or TG?

34. russpowell

Trader

Their big barrel aged beers are as good as or better than Prairie's. Some of their hoppy stuff is very good when fresh. TG is a better option, but I don't think they've been around along to factor Clown Shoes bailing on us

35. HeliosBlack

Trader

I would strongly disagree with Clown Shoes being on par with Prairie, and I'd say the Untappd ratings agree with me (not that they're the end all be all). Their hoppy stuff is mediocre at best. I'd take Lost 40 Trash Panda over most Clown Shoes hops any day of the week.

36. russpowell

Trader

Had a Barrel aged T-Rex on Peaches ( Tripel ) from Fossil Cove that was very tasty Saturday night. Easily the best beer I've ever had from them

Harrison8 likes this.
  37. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,357) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Is the Ivory Bill's English Dark Mild available to-go?

When I visit, I have a tough time convincing my friends to visit a brewery in the Bentonville/Fayatteville area, let alone driving out of the way for beer. I'm always game to try a new English Dark Mild. Fortunately, a local brewery has taken to keeping one on tap consistently.

38. russpowell

Trader

I am on their facebook feed & haven't seen a peep about that beer ever. They are very good about responding to inquiries/questions