Anything good in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'South' started by MichaelBurns, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (89) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

Yeah, that’s a big step/risk with the garbage ass laws in this state.

2. AugustWest1

AugustWest1 Initiate (55) Feb 23, 2016 Texas

This is good news. I’ve been in DFW the past three years now moving to Conway.
    Anyone willing to give me an update on the craft scene in Arkansas? New beers or breweries I need to try.
    I’m excited about TG. That’s one of the larger crafts that doesn’t distribute to North Texas. It seems like Lost Forty continues to improve as well.

ElChuques likes this.
  3. ElChuques

The scene is steadily improving. Our market has finally shaken out some of the pretenders. Our distribution remains decent with plenty of room for our distributors and retailers to improve turnover and inventory management. I doubt there is much we get that you haven’t seen in NTX. Seems like for every few new breweries we get, a couple pull out. Just the pains of a smaller, developing market.

Faulkner County is still dry, in case you didn’t know. I really hope the days of dry counties are almost gone, but the church has a crushing grip on this area. So dumb.

russpowell likes this.
  4. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,655) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

That too bad. I don't buy a ton of CS, but they have good stouts. I can't imagine Sam Adams leaving. That would be just weird.

Prepare to be disappointed. It's miles better than it was even three years ago when I moved here. But having lived in four different states, this is the worst. (Arizona wasn't great either though.). We have some good breweries that have moved in, but not compared to Texas. And the local scene is generally pretty bad. Rebel Kettle is good but doesn't can. Lost Forty is the biggest and are getting better, but not great. Keep an eye on Ozark. They keep improving.

russpowell likes this.
  5. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,016) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Went to Hawk Moth in Rogers, very cool place. Bottom line is unless you are in Franco/Belgian Influenced beer it may not be your cup of tea. I enjoyed it. Read my review if want more details.

Same day I had Ivory Bill's Extra Extra! IPA, 8.0% ABV IPA. Easily my favorite 2 beers from those guys. I am positive I would enjoy their cask offerings, but it appears you have to be there on a Friday. I had their Dark. which I believe id their Mild. Would love to try that on cask, a little to over-carbonated for the style for my liking, but well worth a try

jvgoor3786 and ElChuques like this.
  6. russpowell

Trader

New place open in Fayetteville; Boston Mountain Brewing. It is just off of College on West Township. Might hit this this weekend, close enough

rtrasr and ElChuques like this.
  7. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (821) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Travelling to Bentonville area for work in 2 weeks. Best store to pickup beer at? Do places sell on Sundays? Will be there Sun-Wed afternoon. I'll try to hit as many breweries as I can but will probably miss a few. Any recs on those would be appreciated, as well as best "to go" options. Thanks!

#687 mychalg9, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    ElChuques likes this.
  8. ElChuques

I’ll let locals make recommendations, but only breweries can sell on Sundays.

mychalg9 likes this.
  9. mychalg9

Ok cool, thanks for the tip! Looking up brewery hours now.

Seems like Walton Blvd Wine and Spirits in Bentonville has closed permanently? Would have been about 5 min from my hotel there (Doubletree). Any other good stores nearby?

10. russpowell

Trader

Cheers in Fayetteville/Johnson is open on Sunday. Ozark is the best brewery around these parts IMHO. Hawkmoth is good for Belgian style beers. Bikerack is also decent.

mychalg9 likes this.
  11. russpowell

Trader

It's becoming a pot dispensary. it will Be missed. Guess Who & Macadoodles are alright

mychalg9 likes this.
  12. russpowell

Trader

The wife & I went to Boston Mountain Brewing in Fayetteville Saturday night. 8 beers on tap. The winners were the dark beers, the Coconut Port, Coffee & also the Chocolate Stout were all good to very good. The IPAs were passable to pretty good

mychalg9 likes this.
  13. ElChuques

Maybe consider a short trip into Missouri to widen distribution options.

russpowell and mychalg9 like this.
  14. mychalg9

Cool, thanks for all the recs! I'll probably hit Bike Rack on Sunday night and check out Guess Who? on Monday for some hotel beers since it's right across the street. Will try to hit Ozark Brewing on Mon or Tues night as well.

15. ElChuques

There’s a killer taco spot next to one of the Bike Rack locations. It’s called Yayo’s, and I think it’s the 8th Street location.

mychalg9 likes this.
  16. russpowell

Trader

The Cajun food truck that was at Ozark on my last visit was good

mychalg9 likes this.
  17. russpowell

Trader

If you decide to hit the Macadoodles in Missouri ( state line ), they are very open on Sundays. I would tell you to go throught their hoppy stuff with a fine tooth comb, they will keep stuff on the shelves that should've been pulled or firesaled 3 months prior

mychalg9 likes this.
  18. AndrewNations

AndrewNations Aspirant (203) Aug 16, 2009 Louisiana
    Industry Trader

Might find some fresh Rhinestone Life NEIPA around Little Rock and NWA. We sent some up late last week.

russpowell, mychalg9 and ElChuques like this.
  19. ElChuques

Man, thank you. Been a minute.