Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Apologies but...

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by PlinyFan, Apr 11, 2013.

1. PlinyFan

Apologies for this negativity but why the hell is everything from stone so damn expensive! I wanted to pick up a shirt from them off line and it was 22+ dollars! there is barely anything on the cloth and yet it costs more than some band shirts I have that have insane detail and large placement of it! I feel like their ego is a little big... though the beer is decently priced, what gives!

DJFairhurst likes this.
  2. evilc

You have to be worthy, bro.

3. rgco

That appears cheap. Seen bars and brewpubs charging upwards of $30 for their shirt with just a logo. Not even any rhinestones are included! Bs

4. MikeTen

<nodding>

LakerLeith and FUNKPhD like this.
  5. Earlycsquid

Beer Trader

Hey, you have to make up for the fact that you're buying a bomber for $5-6 somehow.

Besides, the whole notion of wearing a product company's shirt seems like a rip off. You're providing them free advertisement. Why aren't you raging that they aren't paying you to wear it?

PlinyFan likes this.
  6. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Some brewery's charge 15 and others charge 20-25+ for shirts. I think they make a lot of their profits from merch. Yes we pay for the growlers too but thats like filling up with liquid gold. You ever buy rock t-shirts at concerts? Minimum is $30. I paid as much as $50 for a Iron Maiden and Roger Waters T-shirt. And those merch stands are packed. Lots of $$$'s for the band.

7. litheum94

$22 is actually not out of line for a t-shirt. As others have said, a lot of breweries charge $20-25 for their shirts. Their beer prices are in-line with most breweries as well. Not sure why they seem overpriced to you.

8. AptosBeerDrinker

I don't know...$22 seems kinda like the going rate for a branded t-shirt. I have too many brewer t-shirts anyways.

9. leedorham

Bars & Breweries charge more for their shirts because selling swag isn't the business they want to be in. They have that stuff because of demand but they don't want to price it in a way that they're spending all their time restocking stupid retail shit instead of brewing beer.

10. PlinyFan

yeah but the design and detail on a maiden shirt makes it slightly reasonable and those shirts are typically only available for that tour.

dcgunman likes this.
  11. PlinyFan

They seem over priced because they are a simple short, nothing great about em. I just got done looking at a couple band shirts and we are talking 15 at most for something that is full color and detail!

12. PlinyFan

I work in manufacturing, it takes no time to click order, and put shit on a shelf. I understand that its not the business they are in but making 200% profit off of it is a joke. Especially when smaller brewers are doing them for about 7-10 bucks less and that's not even them on sale.

13. besaunders

I don't want to diss any of the fine people in the beer community, so I'm just going to leave it at "swag just isn't for me".

14. tyrsis

Beer Trader

Much like beer, I don't care about schwag unless its whales, bro. *wears his Hitachino / Underbelly SDBW hoodie*

Rare sweaters, yo

15. leedorham

It doesn't take "no time" it takes a certain amount of time. A certain amount of time you could be spending focusing on the thirsty customers sitting in your taproom. They pay the bartenders to pour beer and schmooze with the customers, not re-fold shirts and run in the back to see if they have any more 5XL for giganticus.

16. jtmartino

Beer Trader

LIES. There is no such thing as too many. I am unintentionally working on my collection of brewery hoodies...just got one from Crux today via my brother.

I like rocking brewery shirts at the gym. It explains why I don't look like the P90X guy even though I go there 4-5 times a week.

17. evilc

Yeah you can TOTALLY tell Stone isn't into swag. Have you been to Stone?

jasonmason likes this.
  18. DrunkenMonk

Its not too expensive. You're just too cheap.

Realistically, the price is what the market will bare.

MLucky, dcgunman and pinkgrenade like this.
  19. Saxmusik45

Beer Trader

I thought every brewery made beer sauces/marinades, beer candles, beer soap, and beer dog biscuits?

FUNKPhD and sbuysse like this.
  20. JasonFromLA

I only buy brewery swag if I know it will be hard to get in 3-4 years or limited edition when fresh. Wearable whalez bro.

sil1 likes this.
  21. UCLABrewN84

I use the BeDazzler on my beer shirts. Stone's gargoyle logo really pops with dazzling beads.

22. PlinyFan

Valid point, though remind me of how many tap rooms are A) open more than Fri, Sat and Sun B) the ones that are open on those other days definitely don't have some unforeseen mass amount customer coming through that they need to drop everything and tend to them. Also "refold shirts"? LMFAO man, every tap room I have ever been to had them in a box somewhere in the back and a couple shirts stapled to a wall. Your points are 100% invalid man.

23. PlinyFan

I like your style...

24. leedorham

25. robL

Got ya beat. $80! Yep...$80 for a limited edition Springsteen shirt at a Los Angeles show a few years back. Yeah, the shirt is sweet and when I wear it to shows, fans all ask where and how I got it. But I still don't know what I was thinking. 80 freakin' dollars for a damn tshirt!!!

dcgunman and PlinyFan like this.
  26. PlinyFan

LMAO your trolling game is a little weak. Maybe next time!

27. 4kbrianb

22 bucks for a shirt is not expensive. All shirts I ever see are between 20-30 bucks. Of course there are some on the outside, both under and over. But 22 is understandable. Plus, prices go up, until sales go down.... that good sir, is where you find the perfect price for your demand. Stone is Stone... They need to fund their future venture into Hotels one way or another. Back off their shirt sales and go buy some pop punk band shirts yo! :eek:

28. baycat

Beer Trader

Now people are bitching about t-shirts!

What next, the beer bottle cap magnets they give away by the handful?

29. 4kbrianb

screw you man, they aren't glued properly and I hate how many they give me!!! haha

grilledsquid and DrAwkward82 like this.
  30. grandmeaulnes

Beer Trader

Good thread.

PlinyFan likes this.
  31. PlinyFan

Yeah it is only pointed at the shirts from stone in comparison to a lot of other breweries. Just feel like stone is carrying "its stone so its better than all else" idea in their heads.

I thought about going and replenishing my avril laveign collection, maybe ill have to take that on.

32. PlinyFan

Na, I don't use magnets. They cause global warming and kill rhinos. Pretty inconsiderate of you to keep buying those with hard known facts like that.

33. pinkgrenade

Beer Trader

almost all of the mens shirts at stone are 18 bucks actually

34. albertq17

If you look closer to the fabric of the shirt, you will notice that it is not the same material as Stone's $18 shirts. It is a thinner and softer cotton. I'm guessing that is why they are $4 more than the kind I've seen in every other brewery for sale. The design has very little to do with the final price we pay. The screen printer usually charges per color (screen) and not by complexity of the design. I don't think they are showing us what they think of themselves with how they price their t-shirts. I think they are just giving us options. $18 regular fabric or $22 finer fabric, your choice.

PlinyFan likes this.
  35. sandiego67

Not only is Stone heavily into swag, they have custom swag for each new beer release.

http://stonecompanystore.com/store/

36. UCLABrewN84

If you think Stone is heavy into swag, you should visit the Tap It tasting room in SLO. Everything in that goddamn place has their logo on it, and they have a shit ton of merch for sale.

37. besaunders

What else should I be?

38. TheBoog013

This...
    Silk screening isn't a huge cost, quality of shirt and the quantity you buy are the factors that dictate what you charge. $22 is cheap, IMHO.

albertq17 likes this.
  39. FUNKPhD

I looked for a particular Van Halen shirt a few months back. Turns out that people wanted a lot of money for it because it was tour shirt. I haven't looked lately, but if I recall, asking price was upwards of ~200$.

40. coati858

Amortized on a per-wearing basis, most of my beer t-shirts are nearly free.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe